HDMI converter for old 360s - does it really work?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts

I was in Bestbuy and I noticed they have an HDMI converter box for older 360s that dont have the HDMI port built right into the back! The converter plugs right into the old graphics cable port on the back and then you just use an HDMI cable. Does anyone know if these things actually work and provide equal quality compared to the 360s with it built in? My concern is that the signal is still going from analog to digital with the converter box... and if that's the case, then whats the point? TY for any info.

steveslugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 steveslugga
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts
hmmm thats a good question, i would imagine by the time it's converted it wouldnt make much of a difference compared to component
Omatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Omatron
Member since 2004 • 120 Posts
well ive seen this, my cousin bought it and it does say 1080P when he plays hd-dvds on it which isnt possible through component cables but it could just be a vga to dvi to hdmi converter, i dont know since he wont let me toy with the add-on, meh smart guy, id dissect that thing like a frog in biology, anyways from what ive seen yes it will display 1080P
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts
if anything it will reduce quality because it is taking an analogue signal (VGA/Component) and converting it into digital (DVI/HDMI)... if it is made by microsoft then it will probably have the same quality, just lets you use HDMI instead of component or vga... if it is offbrand 3rd party like madcatz... then it is just a sham to get money and will probably produce less quality...
tenorio_rotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 tenorio_rotc
Member since 2003 • 3447 Posts
It probably converts analog to digital but the only way to get 1080p out of an older 360 is this or the vga cable. If your tv has vga go with that. these boxes are way too expensive.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

It probably converts analog to digital but the only way to get 1080p out of an older 360 is this or the vga cable. If your tv has vga go with that. these boxes are way too expensive.tenorio_rotc

component supports 1080p now to... the update to allow 1080p over vga fixed component as well...

higherARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 higherARC
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts

Actually this does work fine.

"The HDMI Conversion Kit connects easily and safely to the 'AV Output' located on the rear of the console and utilizing advanced microprocessor technology, converts the analogue signal to a digital HDMI stream, outputting all popular HD resolutions up to and including 1080p and compatible with the HDMI 1.3 standard."-TeamXbox.com

Get this if you really want it.

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

Actually this does work fine.

"The HDMI Conversion Kit connects easily and safely to the 'AV Output' located on the rear of the console and utilizing advanced microprocessor technology, converts the analogue signal to a digital HDMI stream, outputting all popular HD resolutions up to and including 1080p and compatible with the HDMI 1.3 standard."-TeamXbox.com

Get this if you really want it.

higherARC

It tries to emulate "true h-def" just like an upconverting DVD player, however it fails in comparison to what is really a 1080P picture.

higherARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 higherARC
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
I've seen it being used and it looks identical to what I see from my ps3. Unless you have a comparisons to prove this, which I highly doubt if any differences will be seen from the naked eye, anyone would care about it.
T3RM1N470R117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 T3RM1N470R117
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Question: Where Would I get one of these. My parents got me HDMI Cables for Christmas, but I have a first Gen 360. It has no HDMI port. I have driven all over Memphis looking for one... the only store that has one is in Mississippi. Is there a site I can get it at a reasonable price? I've tried Gamestop and best buy, but they don't even know what it is. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
Hmm.. keep this thread going! I'd like to know if it's atleast equal to the vga cables, because it would really free up some room behind my tv.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
Good post and learned a lot.
yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

I was in Bestbuy and I noticed they have an HDMI converter box for older 360s that dont have the HDMI port built right into the back! The converter plugs right into the old graphics cable port on the back and then you just use an HDMI cable. Does anyone know if these things actually work and provide equal quality compared to the 360s with it built in? My concern is that the signal is still going from analog to digital with the converter box... and if that's the case, then whats the point? TY for any info.

kindredmachine
DO NOT buy it. I bought one and sold it. The converter makes whites waaaay too bright which bleeds out a lot of the detail in the graphics. The component cables actually provide better graphics than the mad katz hdmi converter. If you really have to have your xbox run through an hdmi cable, then just buy a $200 console that has the input and sell your current system. The converter is absolute garbage and a rip off!
yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

I forgot to mention the converter also has sound issues. I would always hear a loud cracking or popping sound which happened during every game session.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
It works in the sense that it lets you use HDMI to a display that has it. But it doesn't in the sense that it will pass HDCP requirements for upscaling DVD's and playing HD-DVD's in high def as well. And the fact that it is a converter box to begin with has me expecting that it won't look as good as if you could use HDMI with a 360 console that does have it natively.
MATCHIN06401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MATCHIN06401
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts

I purchased one at a Gamestop and it works fine ( had it for quite a while now ) but it is expensive.

I am not sure about the video quality , I personally do not think it is any worse or better than the component cables. I only needed it becasue I wanted to run all of my components through a receiver because I have an older 50" Sony that only came with one HDMI input and my receiver will not upconvert nonHDMI signals.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

I just posted this for someone else in another thread, but I think it is particularly relevent for you as well - so here ya go:

I don't know how well they work as I have only had models with HDMI since those started coming out. If it were me personally - I would buy a new arcarde for $200 - then put my hard drive from my original 360 on that unit, then I would sell my original unit (or trade it in at GameCrazy).

I say that because the adapter is nearly $100 - so personally I would prefer the new console with the HDMI built in which is only another $100 more and will have a newer chip revision which will run cooler than the original console. So if you take that into account - you will be left with approximately a $100 deficite between the two choices - but you should be able to sell your original console without the hard drive for right around $100 making the two options roughly the same cost out of pocket. However like I said, there three advantages to a new console over the adapter are that #1) you know the HDMI will work flawlessly because it's part of the unit - and #2) you will have a newer chip revision that will run cooler than the older unit which should lessen the likelhood of the RROD or other hardware problems - and #3) You will have a new warranty on the new console that is 1 year for any problems and 3 years for RROD whereas your original consoles warranty has either expired by now or is about to.

So IMHO - all the way around you are better off getting a new arcade verion and using your old hard drive - and then selling your original console or trading it in. It will be roughly the same cost in the end and you will come out with added benefits by upgrading to a new unit.

yungog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yungog
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
doesnt playing through a hdmi cable still produce no sound just video ever since we got the nxe update?????
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DataDream
doesnt playing through a hdmi cable still produce no sound just video ever since we got the nxe update?????yungog
No - LOL - HDMI produces sound and video just like it should. Not sure where you heard that rumor unless you are experiencing the problem yourself in which case - it IS a problem. I use HDMI and have the NXE and everything works exactly as it should.
MATCHIN06401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MATCHIN06401
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
Unfortunatly for me the price dropped occured after I had purchased the apapter so it was a difference of about $200 at the time. If I had to do it all over again I would just buy a new arcade unit.
yungog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yungog
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
[QUOTE="yungog"]doesnt playing through a hdmi cable still produce no sound just video ever since we got the nxe update?????DataDream
No - LOL - HDMI produces sound and video just like it should. Not sure where you heard that rumor unless you are experiencing the problem yourself in which case - it IS a problem. I use HDMI and have the NXE and everything works exactly as it should.

oh are you using an offical microsoft hdmi or something or a 3rd party hdmi cable because i still cant get sound through my hdmi cable since the nxe???
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DataDream
[QUOTE="DataDream"][QUOTE="yungog"]doesnt playing through a hdmi cable still produce no sound just video ever since we got the nxe update?????yungog

oh are you using an offical microsoft hdmi or something or a 3rd party hdmi cable because i still cant get sound through my hdmi cable since the nxe???

I use the official HDMI cable that came with the 360 (I have an Elite) - it works perfectly. Yours should produce sound and video if it's not then either the problem lies with your audio reciever/TV or there is a problem and you want to call MS. Everything should work correctly.
mauriala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mauriala
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have also purchased the new 60gb xbox 360 with inbuilt HDMI Converters, i just wanted to know how you connected the console up to the monitor.. you could use something like:http://www.espow.com/wholesale-entertainment-home-theater-hdmi-display-port-hdmi-switches-splitters.html