Have you ever bought a game on release date that you swore you'd never buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

I hated Fable 2. I hated it so much that I beat it, and sold my copy to Gamestop. And I rarely sell my games, I like to keep them as part of my collection. That being said... My friend told me that he was interested in getting Fable 3. I told him that I hated Fable 2 and slowly but surely he began to excite me for co-op. This is a friend who I've beating almost every single one of my Co-op games with. Even if the game sucked, it was the time we spent together beating the game that made it worth it.

I just pre-ordered Fable 3 at Gamestop...

Have you ever bought a game on release date that you swore you'd never buy? If so, which one and what was your reason for taking back your oath of never ever playing that game.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

Didn't think I was going to get RDR because I hate GTA, but I did, and I'm happy

firefox10210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 firefox10210
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

dragon age origins......which i dont regret, even though i was skeptical about the concept of another fantasy rpg rather than sci fi. other than that halo reach, but i was damn expecting to buy that lol

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Though I didn't swear on it or anything, I picked up MW2 on release day, something I didn't really plan for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

I hated Fable 2. I hated it so much that I beat it, and sold my copy to Gamestop. And I rarely sell my games, I like to keep them as part of my collection. That being said... My friend told me that he was interested in getting Fable 3. I told him that I hated Fable 2 and slowly but surely he began to excite me for co-op. This is a friend who I've beating almost every single one of my Co-op games with. Even if the game sucked, it was the time we spent together beating the game that made it worth it.

I just pre-ordered Fable 3 at Gamestop...

Have you ever bought a game on release date that you swore you'd never buy? If so, which one and what was your reason for taking back your oath of never ever playing that game.

DamianAlexander

Haha, that's exactly the same for me!

I borrowed Fable 2 off a friend, thought it was mediocre at best, and i was convinced that after playing Fable 2, that nothing will persuade me to get Fable 3. Until, like you said, a friend kept going on and on about it and told me to watch these videos... and it turned mey opinion about the game. I then ended up pre-ordering it from Play.com :P

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Why preorder at Gamestop? Amazon is the way to go for Fable 3. $20 video game credit and 2 exclusive in game items. As for the topic, can't say that I have.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#7 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I have a tight game budget with all the boxing equipment I need and buy, so I almost always research a game and make sure about it before I buy.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
Just cause 2, Final Fantasy XIII and a ton of other games, i buckle under the dazzling store lights and effective TV Ads
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#9 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Modern Warfare 2. I just couldn't resist it. It was amazing for awhile. But then it got lame and I sold it.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

I had absolutely no intention of buying Bioshock pre-release. I just did not see myself enjoying it at all. Then i downloaded the demo the night it was announced on Gametrailers and i loved it. Bought it at release.

And i'm in the same boat as you with Fable 3. I loved Fable, and did not enjoy Fable 2. But i'm really interested in Fable 3 still

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad. ehh.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
No I very rarely ever buy games on day one and when I do it is for a game that I think I will enjoy a lot or I played the demo.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
No. Is the thread title a typo? If you're swearing that you'll never buy a game and it hasn't come out yet, what is that based off of? More important, what convinced you to go from "I'll never buy this" to "it's a day one buy"?
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

I go by my own judgement really. No one ever convinced me to afford a game.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

Took my friends word that it would be good after I had decided not to get it. Played it a week and sold it for Borderlands.

Same friend tried to get me to buy Medal of Honor. Luckly I learned my lesson and just borrowed it from him.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Didn't think I was going to get RDR because I hate GTA, but I did, and I'm happy

Rhino53
Same here. I was surprised I bought it day one. But I'm even more surprised I bought GTA IV day one! :shock: That's two in a row for me. I ended up not like GTA IV so much though. RDR was amazing, but I just couldn't push myself to play more. I got up to the second area/region (trying not to spoiler) of the game, did a few missions there for the main quest and I stopped.
Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Creigz
Member since 2010 • 187 Posts

Reach. I didn't think I was gonna want it, but then I saw that figurine statue and I was instantly snagged. Next will be Cataclysm if I pre-order another game that I didn't think I would. My friend is tempting me bad to get it, and the new trailer has really got me interested in Deathwing.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Reach. I didn't think I was gonna want it, but then I saw that figurine statue and I was instantly snagged. Next will be Cataclysm if I pre-order another game that I didn't think I would. My friend is tempting me bad to get it, and the new trailer has really got me interested in Deathwing.

Creigz

I might actually hop back on World of Warcraft because Cataclysm. The changes they're making to Azeroth is highly tempting. I'll have to start from scratch though, but it shouldn't be so bad seeing as how they're adding two new races.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DamianAlexander

No. Is the thread title a typo? If you're swearing that you'll never buy a game and it hasn't come out yet, what is that based off of? More important, what convinced you to go from "I'll never buy this" to "it's a day one buy"?Senor_Kami

No, there is no type-oh in the title. It states "Have you ever bought a game on release date (As you see here, you're buying a game once it has been released) that you swore you'd never buy? (This sworn oath would take place before the game was released).

If you would've read what I wrote you would've found that I stated "My friend told me that he was interested in getting Fable 3. I told him that I hated Fable 2 and slowly but surely he began to excite me for co-op. This is a friend who I've beating almost every single one of my Co-op games with. Even if the game sucked, it was the time we spent together beating the game that made it worth it."

You should consider reading the actual topic before you post in it. You might find yourself better educated on the topic and hence won't have to ask questions that have already been answered in the first post.

Edit: The entire point of this thread is to find out why people said they would never buy a game and why ultimately they bought it anyway. Your last sentence is my actual topic.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DamianAlexander

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad. ehh.

Flamecommando

HAH! You totally bought that game for the Bikinis.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DamianAlexander

[QUOTE="Creigz"]

Elann2008

I might actually hop back on World of Warcraft because Cataclysm. The changes they're making to Azeroth is highly tempting. I'll have to start from scratch though, but it shouldn't be so bad seeing as how they're adding two new races.

I can't get over the fact that they took everything that I loved about WoW away. I loved grinding gear for more Hit Bonus, (Once that capped) Spell Damage, Spell Haste, etc... I hate how everything is now simplified to one stat.

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I was dead set on Not getting New Vegas a few months ago.. I'm picking it up later today.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Batman Arkham Asylum... after the mess Eidos had with Kane & Lynch and then more reports flying around before AA's release that they only let people review the game early who promised a good review, I thought for sure I didn't want to support it. But at the time it came out, I was bored and looking for something new to play, and after seeing a bunch of good reviews I decided to give it a shot. It turned out good. :)
xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts
Halo Reach.I swore that I would not fall onto the hype train but all my friends were buying it so I said why not.Glad I did.
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
i didint really want crackdown 2 but it was there and i bought it just 5 days after it came out....and i bought transformers revenge of the fallen the game 2 days after it came out....wish i bought a different game
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I swore I wouldn't buy burnout dominator on the PSP cause they eliminated traffic check, IMO it was a step backwards. So I got the hype and got it on release date, still regret it to this day
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
I swore I wouldn't buy burnout dominator on the PSP cause they eliminated traffic check, IMO it was a step backwards. So I got the hype and got it on release date, still regret it to this daypiranha_inc
wrong board....no mentioning psp games
DesiGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DesiGhost
Member since 2010 • 371 Posts

Why preorder at Gamestop? Amazon is the way to go for Fable 3. $20 video game credit and 2 exclusive in game items. As for the topic, can't say that I have. Spellingiscool
Reported for Advertising.

Lionhart_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Lionhart_basic
Member since 2002 • 417 Posts

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"]Why preorder at Gamestop? Amazon is the way to go for Fable 3. $20 video game credit and 2 exclusive in game items. As for the topic, can't say that I have. DesiGhost

^^^Rat

Miamifins2381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Miamifins2381
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"]Why preorder at Gamestop? Amazon is the way to go for Fable 3. $20 video game credit and 2 exclusive in game items. As for the topic, can't say that I have. DesiGhost

please, kill yourself. But anyway, Just cause 2 i did not think i would buy and then on day 1 i got it. Loved it though and am happy i got it