have you beat MASS EFFECT 2 on insanity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GrannyGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GrannyGoat
Member since 2010 • 1190 Posts

started a new game today to try to beat it on insanity, playing as a soldier. finding it pretty damn hard even in the very early levels, and it will probably get much harder. have you beat it on insanity and how hard would you say it is? and what did you play as? ty.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i tried doin new game plus with the character i beat it with on normal and got destroyed constantly, i gave up, im gonna try again on a fresh new game instead
fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
You pretty much have to do a new game + from what i've read. I've started one but i'm not far into it because I put it down after bioshock 2 came out. I'm waiting for the announced dlc to be released before I start it up again.. then it's goin down!
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

yeh i have. to unlock insanity you must 1st beat the game on hard core. i played as a Sentinel. the hardest part imo that took me 30 tries at least was this part. the second was [spoiler] the human reaper at the end. and since its on insanity every one gets armor before you damage there health. waves and waves of collectors come at you while your trying to kill the hum. reaper. all you hear is assuming control! assuming control lol ****! a good tactic is to use legion so he can distract harbingers with one of his talents so you can kill the collectors then the harbinger with out having to keep fighting harbingers after you kill one. another tactic against harbingers is to move from left to right and there black mass (the one that takes you out of cover) will miss you 99% of the time [/spoiler]

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
I have, and the only really hard parts were Horizon because of the Praetorian, and the Collector Ship. Went with a party of Miranda and Grunt most of the time, playing as an Infiltrator, and then went Miranda and Legion on the last mission.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

*spoilers*

It's hard as nails on certain parts. Regular missions aren't too bad but the part where you meet Kaiden/Ashley is difficult and the the first time on the Collector ship is difficult. Everything else isn't bad, you just have to play very slow and methodical and can't really have fun with the combat like you can on the other difficulty settings.

Insanity also exposes how crappy squad mate AI is. Your team mates will routinely take cover in front of an object or take cover on top of an object, resulting in an instant death for them. It's not rare to have both partners die within 5 seconds of a mission starting because they did something boneheaded like standing on top of a crate to shoot rather than taking cover behind the crate.

I'd suggest getting Dominate. A lot of people sleep on it but Dominate was a lot of fun for me. There's nothing like being stuck in cover from two rocket guys and casting a Dominate and then they one takes out the other. You can trap baddies in a loop or make them take turns being Dominated. That + Combat Drone is super helpful because it's a lot easier to stay alive when everyone is focused on killing their friends or a drone.

The only bad part is that it takes FOREVER to get the people who can do both of those abilities and they work best when you're not casting them yourself.

Mck2175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mck2175
Member since 2003 • 159 Posts

I beat it playing as a soldier on a second playthrough so I hit max lvl pretty quick. I picked Reave as my extra power and usually used Miranda with Jack or Samara. Used sniper rifle and assualt rifle except on lvls where a ton of husks were rushing at me. Then I'd use a shotty on the husks as it dropped em quite fast.

PlumeNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PlumeNoir
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just beat it about 15 mins ago and I have to say, I'm kinda glad it's over. Imported my Vangaurd (who I level capped already in the Normal playthrough) and chose Geth Shield as my bonus. I know a lot of people think that's foolish, but it saved my butt too many times to count (mapped it to the left bumper so I could tap it if I was out in the open). The beginning of the game was just...well...insane. As you go through, it does get easier, as you pick up people who can drop barriers and such. Regulat missions really weren't bad, but anything "Collector-related" (like Horizon, IFF, Ending) were just frustrating. Also, like someone else said, it was a real pain the way you'd tell your squad mates to get behind cover, and they'd climb on top of it and repeatedly die. And be sure to turn their auto-use of their powers off - nothing is worse then needing a well-placed Drone only to find out your squad mate is still in cooldown because they did something you didn't see.
Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
I'm going through it but I'm not very far yet (I just recruited my first non-Cerb. crew member) I picked an Engineer with Energy Drain as my bonus talent. It's working out pretty well so far.
notoriousdre88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 notoriousdre88
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

I beat it not that hard just have to stay in cover and play smart.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Insanity isn't something you do once just to see how it is, hardened is the sweet spot, a nice challenge that requires tactics, hold the frustration. But some classes are easier than others when playing Insanity.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

No because I assumed I would want to do multi playthroughs like ME1 so didn't start on insane. The problem is I don't think the game is worth playing twice.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#13 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I've beaten it. It's probably easier if you play as Vanguard or Infiltrator.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well i beat it and its not that hard really just a few tricky spots. Its mostly patience and good strategy in your battles.

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
I beat it with a ME1 imported character on insanity about 2 weeks ago. The character was an adept and yeah, some parts were extremely difficult and required multiple attempts, some required 20+ just to get lucky enough to get enemies that didn't immediately charge and overwhelm me. This game is definitely harder on higher difficult settings since biotics like singularity and throw don't work on enemies with shields, armor or barriers. On top of that, adept weapons are incredibly weak early on.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I beat it awhile ago. Taking my time and getting the upgrades is very usefull.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Yup, it wasn't easy but it was a challenge. I used my Vanguard and boy was it tough at times. Really rewarding though once you see that achievement.

Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

Yep i beat it on Insanity about a month ago. Yes it is extremely hard. Anyone who says it isn't that hard (just stay in cover) is full of it. You can hide and the enemies WILL come get you. Especially Krogan. Beat is on new game+ as a Vanguard. It is possible folks don't give up! I also highly recommend using Miranda because she has Overload and Warp. Both extremely helpful for taking down shields, barriers, and armor.

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
Not yet. The game is epic, but i play for fun, not for frustation. Hardcore is more than enough.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Nah to lazy too beat it again.
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

yes i did beat it. i did it as a sentinel... give your character Reave.

JS0123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JS0123456789
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

I'm almost through my second playthrough on insanity with an infiltrator. I've found some parts to be a bit exhausting, especially the earlier parts against the collectors. It's pretty fun later on once you get you team together and level your character enough. You can stay in cover and use your powers to take down the endless waves that come after you. You just have to take your time, position your team and play smart.