Halo Wars=Bust?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

on_no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 on_no
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
To me it seems like a waterewd down version of Age of Empires.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
You can only do so much with a controller in a RTS game. I'm glad the game was simple.
luke182777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 luke182777
Member since 2005 • 3070 Posts
which is why they should leave rts games to the pc. all they are doing here is milking the halo title. marketing gimmicks... this game is a waste
DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts
It got some good reviews, and some bad. The thing seems to be that if you're a casual RTSer, then it's the game for you. If you're a hardcore RTSer... go get Dawn of War II.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
It has Halo in the name you expected a game for only hardcore rts fans? So i suppose you think the only people that play Halo online are hardcore fps fans? It was made to be simple because it's on the console and Halo isn't a franchise that only the "hardcore" gamers can play. Read the IGN review.
DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts
It has Halo in the name you expected a game for only hardcore rts fans? So i suppose you think the only people that play Halo online are hardcore fps fans? It was made to be simple because it's on the console and Halo isn't a franchise that only the "hardcore" gamers can play. Read the IGN review.craigalan23
If that was in response to me... then I'm kind of confused. I wasn't expecting it to be for hardcore RTSers... I never stated that I did.
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

It has Halo in the name you expected a game for only hardcore rts fans? So i suppose you think the only people that play Halo online are hardcore fps fans? It was made to be simple because it's on the console and Halo isn't a franchise that only the "hardcore" gamers can play. Read the IGN review.craigalan23

HMMM Halo was built for casual gamers that is why it is/was so successful

DK_Razgriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DK_Razgriz
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts
It's just another perspective of the Halo universe and for fans to enjoy it in a different way. If i had an idea that would milk in the ££££'s i'd do it too. Good marketing, well done Bungie says I. Most hardcore RTS's i've played was C&C:Generals... i'll be getting Halo Wars as a fan and hoping for nothing more than a good experience with a universe i enjoy to envelop myself in...
ownzone55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ownzone55
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts
No not a bust. Ppl thought this game would head downhill. In fact in turned out to be a solid game to play. It doesn't match those hardcore rts but still fun for console.
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
Bust as in sales, no way, it has Halo in the title. Bust as in bad game, I dn't think so, I really like the demo. Simple yes, but combat was pretty dang fun.
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]It has Halo in the name you expected a game for only hardcore rts fans? So i suppose you think the only people that play Halo online are hardcore fps fans? It was made to be simple because it's on the console and Halo isn't a franchise that only the "hardcore" gamers can play. Read the IGN review.lge777

No kidding. I didn't know violent, gory shooters with a deep plot was considered casual. If I handed Halo over to my Grandma, it woukdn't be pretty. Simple isn't the same as casual, my friend.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
[QUOTE="tktomo01"][QUOTE="lge777"]

No kidding. I didn't know violent, gory shooters with a deep plot was considered casual. If I handed Halo over to my Grandma, it woukdn't be pretty. Simple isn't the same as casual, my friend.

Then again you really can't consider your grandma to be a casual gamer at all. Since 90% of retired folks would carpal tunnel (unless playing the Wii) before reaching the title of "casual gamer" ;).
PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

I am sure we will see how many copies it sells tomorrow. I probably won't pick it up unless all my friends are playing multiplayer. I have so many other games to finish, and RE5 is coming out next Friday. It is like do I want to spend my $60.00 on Halo Wars or RE 5. Since I played and finished 0-4 I will probably get RE5 over Halo Wars. Not saying that it is a terrible game, just not enough excitment out of it to make me choose Halo Wars over RE5.

I don't think it is a game that is going to bust, just if more people had extra money to throw around they would probably pick it up just because even if it didn't get the greatest reviews. Not saying RE 5 will, just I have more of a history with the RE series than I do with the Halo. Also I might still end up picking it up later down the road in a few months, I want to see what happens with it. If it doesn't do all that great then I probably saved myself from it. If I do get it, I would probably get it used from Gamestop. That way if I don't like it with in 30 days I can return it.

The gameplay was simple and fine, the story seems to be about what any of the other Halo games are at (level wise). I just see this game on the titter tatter; it goes up and down as far as excitmentt. I am sure you will find a lot of used copies though from people who play through it fast, or disappointed gamers, or people who buy it and say if it is great I will keep it and if it is terrible I will sell it to Gamestop for RE5.

*Edit: I refering the last sentence only to the demo I have played.

butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]It has Halo in the name you expected a game for only hardcore rts fans? So i suppose you think the only people that play Halo online are hardcore fps fans? It was made to be simple because it's on the console and Halo isn't a franchise that only the "hardcore" gamers can play. Read the IGN review.lge777

right....because the MLG tournaments are casual and all.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

lge777

Halo: Combat Evolved was built for casual gamers? Are you serious? What is your definition of "casual gamer"? I suppose Half-Life, Quake, and Doom were built for casual gamers too...

NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts

[QUOTE="lge777"]

Palantas

Halo: Combat Evolved was built for casual gamers? Are you serious? What is your definition of "casual gamer"? I suppose Half-Life, Quake, and Doom were built for casual gamers too...

Im going to have to agree with Palantas here....This just isn't right at all...
piegore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 piegore
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
im definitely not getting halo wars because every rts (in my opinion) is the same exact game but with different looks and stuff.. :P
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

[QUOTE="lge777"]

Palantas

Auto save, basic game play, you rarely need to go over and over a segment,you can pick up and play real fast which made it great for the casual game to mess around with for a hour or so a week, have Halo party's with large group becuase it is very easy to pass the controller around and keep playing,Co-op,qick story line so you don't get stuck in long cut sceens and you can walk through the game very easy, it's a easy fun.and i think most PRO tourments play Team death match

kev14721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kev14721
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts
i think it's pretty good
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Auto save, basic game play, you rarely need to go over and over a segment,you can pick up and play real fast which made it great for the casual game to mess around with for a hour or so a week, have Halo party's with large group becuase it is very easy to pass the controller around and keep playing,Co-op,qick story line so you don't get stuck in long cut sceens and you can walk through the game very easy, it's a easy fun.and i think most PRO tourments play Team death match

lge777

Mmmm...this'll be fun.

• Autosave: How is autosave any more or less tailored to the casual gamer than save-anywhere? Checkpoints make the game harder.
  • "Basic game play" What the hell does that even mean?
  • "You rarely need to govfer and over a segment" This depends dramatically on the difficulty on which you're playing.
  • "You can pick up and play real fast" If you're into shooters. Someone who's not into shooters is not going to pick up and play Halo real fast.
  • "Halo parties" What does this have to do with game being for casual gamers? Any game that has splitscreen or LAN fits this bill.
  • "Co-op" See above.
  • "Quick storyline with short cutscenes" How many shooters have you played? At the time it was released, Halo: Combat Evolved had the longest cutscenes in any shooter ever made.

This is all very generic. Again, what is your definition of a "casual" gamer?

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts
I really enjoy this game... if you want it to be fast and frantic then just bump up the difficulty.
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="lge777"]

lge777

Actually MLG tournaments play Oddball, CTF, KoTH as well as Team Deathmatch.

towely62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 towely62
Member since 2006 • 275 Posts
personally i thought gamespot was to harsh with their score just for that reason i dont really trust their scoring anymore i hate to say. i just go with the user score alot of the time they're right. you cant tell me halo wars and army of two are both bad i played army of two it was laaaaaame and i played halo wars well just the demo but i cant stop playing that dam thing, and another thing do u really think gta4 deserves a perfect 10 i dont think so. again just go with the user scoring
armyman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 armyman455
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts
if you havent noticed Halo in general is not really that Hardcore the mutliplayer has always been basic simple jump in play a round jump out style unlike the Cod Series or Battlefield series so it only makes sense that the RTS version is simple too, im not saying Halo is bad for being simple its a great franchise and i enjoy the simplicity of it
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
which is why they should leave rts games to the pc. all they are doing here is milking the halo title. marketing gimmicks... this game is a wasteluke182777
No it's a fun RTS that translates the controls well to a gamepad. Just because it doesn't cater to hardcore RTS players and/or Koreans doesn't mean it's a bad game.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
if you havent noticed Halo in general is not really that Hardcore the mutliplayer has always been basic simple jump in play a round jump out style unlike the Cod Series or Battlefield series so it only makes sense that the RTS version is simple too, im not saying Halo is bad for being simple its a great franchise and i enjoy the simplicity of itarmyman455
While there are players that use the "jump around strategy", that is not the only strategy or tactic that exists in the Halo series and in the MP.
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts
Personally, I think Halo Wars is actually really really fun. It's nice to have an RTS that is nice and simple to play, so you can get right into it. I thought the demo was soo good, in fact I'm still playing the same level over and over after almost 2 weeks..
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts
[QUOTE="armyman455"]if you havent noticed Halo in general is not really that Hardcore the mutliplayer has always been basic simple jump in play a round jump out style unlike the Cod Series or Battlefield series so it only makes sense that the RTS version is simple too, im not saying Halo is bad for being simple its a great franchise and i enjoy the simplicity of itLance_Kalzas
While there are players that use the "jump around strategy", that is not the only strategy or tactic that exists in the Halo series and in the MP.

He's just saying that the game is easy to "jump in, play a round, jump out", not making fun of the tactics some people use.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
Ah okay, thank you. I thought that initially because I've seen quite a few people make that kind of a comment before. His comment could realistically apply to just about any shooter if you think about it, especially any that has a MP component.
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
if you havent noticed Halo in general is not really that Hardcore the mutliplayer has always been basic simple jump in play a round jump out style unlike the Cod Series or Battlefield series so it only makes sense that the RTS version is simple too, im not saying Halo is bad for being simple its a great franchise and i enjoy the simplicity of itarmyman455
How does it "ONLY MAKE SENSE" that the RTS is simple too..??? Not only is it a completely different Genre, its not even the same company making the game!!!!!!
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
To me it seems like a waterewd down version of Age of Empires.on_no
I agree. Played it the other day and thought that it was one of the most bland, average, simple RTS titles I have ever picked up. I will stick witht he PC for strat. games, and I wish devs would do the same because it just isn't possible to have a deep, complex RTS on a console.
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
[QUOTE="armyman455"]if you havent noticed Halo in general is not really that Hardcore the mutliplayer has always been basic simple jump in play a round jump out style unlike the Cod Series or Battlefield series so it only makes sense that the RTS version is simple too, im not saying Halo is bad for being simple its a great franchise and i enjoy the simplicity of itLance_Kalzas

LOL yes it is, man. Have you ever played Halo? 99.9% of the time you have people jumping all over the place and shooting you with all manner of ridiculous weapons. What tactic do you use? The only other one I can think of is sniping, and even that doesn't go on that often......