This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

Hey everyone.

All I've been playing lately are shooters, and really fancy something very different, and I can get for cheap before AW/SC.

Notice that the 360 has quite a few JRPG's, but which one is the best for a beginner to the genre?

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and soon to come FFXIII.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales Of Vesperia, The Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean TLH... a couple more out there that I didn't like were, The Last Remnant and Blue Dragon.

If you are new to the genre then a not so difficult game would be Eternal Sonata, give that one a try. :)

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah ToV and Eternal Sonata are currently downloading (demos) on my 360, so I'll give them a whirl :)
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I've rented Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, and Enchanted Arms. I finished all but Tales of Vesperia and Blue Dragon.

I hated Blue Dragon. Thought Infinite Undiscovery was ok but nothing special. Enchanted Arms wasn't very good and had an annoying battle system that took too long. Lost Odyssey was good, the written stories you find were excellent and Jansen was a great character, the other characters ranged from bad to ok and the battle system was pretty much just typical turn based. Eternal Sonata I didn't like the battle system or the story, but the idea was interesting and I like the artstyle. Tales of Vesperia is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time, pretty good story with great characters, nice extras with all the skits, even the character that was a kid was a good character and was actually useful as a part of the story (unlike the little ******** from Lost Odyssey). I was at the end when I had to return it, never got it again or bought it hoping that the PS3 version with extra content would come out in America.

I say get Tales and maybe Lost Odyssey.

If you are new to the genre then a not so difficult game would be Eternal Sonata, give that one a try.

That could be said with just about all JRPGs outside of the SMT and old Persona games. Pretty much all JRPGs are easy and require no real strategy to beat besides use strongest attack/attack enemy is weak against and make sure you can heal when you are hurt. Most JRPGs you will slaughter everything, get to a final boss, get one hit killed, power level about 5-10 times then go back and kick its ass. Tales you can win almost all fights treating it as a button masher, but at least it is faster, looks better, and is less boring than the usual turn based animations.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Isn't that an oxymoron?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and (maybe) Blue Dragon. Skip Eternal Sonata. It has some of the worst characters ever in a JRPG and terrible dungeon design. It's a game that annoys you constantly as you play/watch. Also skip Infinite Undiscovery. It's awful. Bland battle system, cliche characters, lame story, yuck. When a game's only redeeming quality is its crafting system you know there's a problem. Blue Dragon is also quite cliche, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's a very lighthearted JRPG that plays a lot like the old NES ones. Unfortunately, the main character and main villain are terrible.
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and soon to come FFXIII.

archvile_78

Yeah that pretty much sums up the top 3.