Games With Gold, May 2014

This topic is locked from further discussion.

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By punksterdaddy
Member since 2010 • 1410 Posts

As I have not heard what will be this month's GwG on Gamespot, I went searching for some information. I have discovered a Subreddit dedicated to this subject and it would appear that the game to first appear on this list is...

DUST: An Elysian Tale

Does anyone know yet if this is true and/or are you happy with this choice?

Xbox claimed that the GwG will get better and although Dust is a great game, it is yet another game that was in the Ultimate Sale not too long ago in February. I know because I bought it. Which is yet another disappointment for me as so far this year I have got one game from them I didn't already have and that was Civilisation.

I'm glad GwG exists but it is a little frustrating to see a game appear that I already own, but worse yet is the free game being the same one they had in the sales a mere 2 months ago!

Is this the same of you? Are you happy with Microsoft's GwG programme so far?

If you have anything to add to the discussion, please submit them here. I would really like to hear how others are feeling towards the Games with Gold program?

Here is the Subreddit link.

EDIT: I have learned that the second game this coming month could be Tomb Raider. (Another that I already own. *sigh* lol)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I want them to bring this service to Xbox One, which I've heard they will be doing soon. On my PS4 I get free games so I'd like that to happen for my Xbox One as well.

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By punksterdaddy

@BattleSpectre:

Yes I'm sure they will do.

The reason I believe that they haven't done this so far is the lack of games and no backwards compatibility for the older titles. They will (most likely) make such an announcement at E3 in June. Just hang in there. ;)

Sikemike03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sikemike03
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

I think I can I say that I've been satisfied with the program so far. It's a little dissatisfying when a game you already own is released for the program, but that's bound to happen. I haven't had interest in every game, but since the games are a bonus I don't get too upset. There aren't really any titles that I'd like to see for the program. It'd be nice to get a racing, RPG, or fighting game as a future title though.

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 punksterdaddy

@Sikemike03:

Yes I agree with you. A racing game or a decent RPG that people may have missed out on would be great.

Of course it is bound to happen that the games that are free now, may have already been bought by others a while ago. I'm not complaining, just a little disappointed. It appears that Square Enix games are the ones they prefer giving away, which is sad as I already own most of them.

Dust is a great game and the more people who play it the better as the whole thing was created by one man, it deserves the support and it is so much fun to play. I just wish they didn't place it in the sales and now give it away for free a short while later.

Maybe I'm being a little cynical here but as a result of the sales, many of my friends purchased Dust... Now they have no need to download it again, which in turn minimises the cost for Microsoft?

TheNerdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 TheNerdiot
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@punksterdaddy: http://www.nerdiots.com/2014/04/30/games-gold-may-2014-official-games-list/

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Sad that I don't have Gold anymore, so I can't pick up these free game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I already got those older games, dang.

Plus, where is the XBONE SUPPORT? It's unfair my Xbone is starving and Games for Gold would be much appreciated.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy
@punksterdaddy said:

@BattleSpectre:

Yes I'm sure they will do.

The reason I believe that they haven't done this so far is the lack of games and no backwards compatibility for the older titles. They will (most likely) make such an announcement at E3 in June. Just hang in there. ;)

That particular excuse/reasoning doesn't really hold water. Let me explain.

If the "financially struggling" competition can get "free" games on their service on their same-aged new gen platform with the same excuses to deal with (lack of games and no backwards compatibility), then something is wrong. It seems to me the the richer, more wealthy company with the more expensive "premium" hardware ($500), the more expensive online service ($60), that is spending nearly a billion in TV deals with Spielberg and more...should have been doing Games for Gold Xbone all this time. (Side note, yes I get deals on services for all platforms, but that's the MSRP).

It's been six months (about), that's six months of Games for Gold I didn't get on my Xbone and no end in sight. I predicted as a joke last year that they would make us Xbone buyers wait all the way till E3 2014, but I was hoping to be wrong. It looks like we are literally waiting till E3.

I'm thankful the 360 gets Games for gOld, but I usually have those 360 games when they are announced, like this months offerings. It sucks that the early adopters of the Xbone like myself get punished in this regard.

reapersown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By reapersown
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@BattleSpectre: yes they r bringing it to xbox 1 heres a link http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/13/5713490/games-with-gold-xbox-one-launch-microsoft

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@reapersown said:

@BattleSpectre: yes they r bringing it to xbox 1 heres a link http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/13/5713490/games-with-gold-xbox-one-launch-microsoft

Yeah thanks man, I heard about it already and am very pleased.

RevLuckyShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RevLuckyShot
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

The GwG is a brilliant idea and I do like getting them. But I do agree that they need to put games up that are not juts games that were on sale not tool long ago. To see an RPG game for download would be brilliant.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

We need better games IMO.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

@RevLuckyShot said:

The GwG is a brilliant idea and I do like getting them. But I do agree that they need to put games up that are not juts games that were on sale not tool long ago. To see an RPG game for download would be brilliant.

It is a good idea, it came from PS+. I'm thankful it's applied to Xbox consoles more recently.