Games in XBOX Store Will Be Cheaper Than at Gamestop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by seamonkey10 (25 posts) -

At least hinted at by this story saying that XBOX wants to offer a cheaper price rather than see people constantly purchase used copies of games which they see no money for

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/02/17/microsoft-targets-gamestop-and-used-game-sales-with-xbox-one-digital-deals-starting-tomorrow

#2 Posted by Alucard_Prime (7155 posts) -

possibly, but only during sale events, not all the time I suspect

#3 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

Vita games are generally cheaper if you download them... no sale required. So it would be nice if they started providing incentives for digital distribution. I for one will never purchase any games from retail again.

#4 Posted by mdbuchman (255 posts) -

The problem is not with new games (they may knock some price off), the problem is when a game has been out for a month or six months or a year. Microsoft tends to think that videogames do not loose their value as they get older. I can go into Gamestop and pickup some old (but still very good games) for well under $10....I do not see Microsoft doing this.

I think it would be great if they did do reasonable pricing, but I can only dream :)

I do not know about you but I am much more likely to pickup 2 good $10 games than 1 good $20 game (I would most likely pass on the $20 game).

#5 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@mdbuchman:

i'm with you. in fact, I put myself on a minimum of 1year delay :) so that i'm buying all my games for dirt cheap. plus, the fact that I buy games that have 100+hrs of content and replayability.

over the past year I've been great past games for about 2-10 bucks. for me, 19.99 is expensive, lol.

#6 Edited by H0RSE (1925 posts) -

If MS adopted a similar philosophy to digital purchases as Steam, it could benefit them tremendously, and I don't see why they couldn't do this. There's also gonna people who prefer physical copies, and those people can always go to Gamestop or wherever else, and since hey want more (box, manual, disk) they pay more, which would justify MS charging less for DD.

#7 Posted by mdbuchman (255 posts) -

This is part of the reason why I have a hard time believing that developers are hurt as bad they say with used games. If companies wanted to compete they could by pricing correctly. Figure after a game has been out for a year or even a couple...why not put out in digital and price it appropriately. Think about it you are a company that makes $0 from a used game or you could put the old game on the digital market for $5-$10 and make money (possibly even a lot as I know many people that go nuts when Gamestop has their super cheap sales!

#8 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -
@mdbuchman said:

This is part of the reason why I have a hard time believing that developers are hurt as bad they say with used games. If companies wanted to compete they could by pricing correctly. Figure after a game has been out for a year or even a couple...why not put out in digital and price it appropriately. Think about it you are a company that makes $0 from a used game or you could put the old game on the digital market for $5-$10 and make money (possibly even a lot as I know many people that go nuts when Gamestop has their super cheap sales!

I'm not going to go all in-depth here, but, having had this discussion countless times before I will simply say this:

used games take ZERO money away from pubs/devs.

however, it does allow someone in the gaming industry to make profits (gaming economy) and, in most instances, allows some other pub/dev's game to be bought.

NOT having used games would not cause people to suddenly buy games they normally wouldn't. that rationale is laughably ridiculous.

as well, it's foolish for devs/pubs to even think their industry is one that can reject the rules of ownership and resale. though, it should let everyone understand WHY they want to go all-digital.

and, it isn't for the benefit of us gamers, lol.