External HD Question (PLEASE ANSWER IF YOU KNOW!!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mario479

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mario479
Member since 2011 • 180 Posts

I recently bought an external HD for my Xbox 360 Arcade. I was planning to pass all of my profile and game data to it and after doing this, I would erase everything from my Xbox. Would all the save datas from the all my games load properly in the HD after this? Also, would my profile achievements for the games I played be saved or would I need to get all the achievements from the beggining without any gamescore?

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

I recently bought an external HD for my Xbox 360 Arcade. I was planning to pass all of my profile and game data to it and after doing this, I would erase everything from my Xbox. Would all the save datas from the all my games load properly in the HD after this? Also, would my profile achievements for the games I played be saved or would I need to get all the achievements from the beggining without any gamescore?

mario479

You can use your external drive, but you can only use 16GB of the drive for the 360. You should be able to transfer everything to the external drive and operate as normal. If you have connected to XBL your achievements will be fine, they sync with their servers and stay there no matter what you do with your hard drive or Xbox. I think you'll be disappointed by using the external drive. I'd say use a 16GB USB drive and move your saves and gamertag to that so you can easily take it to friends houses with you. I use an 8GB and have all my saves, even some map packs and my GT on there so I can go to different 360's in my house and take it on the road with me easily. You could use 2 16GB USB drives to give you more space, but they wont allow anything more than that. Even if your external drive is 1TB, it will only format 16GB worth sadly.

dplavsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dplavsic
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

When I use my EHD does it erase everything on it, should I back up the info and then hook it up to my xbox....and then afterwards put the info back on the EHD? Otherwise what is the other way to do it ....buying Microsoft's 250 gb drive? Is 16gb generally good enough for basic game saves, free demos, etc..?

Avatar image for ChristopherRage
ChristopherRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ChristopherRage
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts
I don't think I can properly answer your first question. As to the second question, 16gb is plenty for basic game saves, some xbla games, and free demos (as long as you delete the demos after you are done). I believe, but I am not 100% sure about this, that your xbox will delete everything on your EHD (or atleast the 16gb it will be using) when you plug it in. I think it will ask you to reformat the drive, thus erasing everything, if I am correct then you should of course back up everything before plugging it into your system. I hope I helped a bit and I am sorry I don't have a more concrete answer for you.
Squeezitgirdle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Squeezitgirdle
Member since 2010 • 1027 Posts

you will have to format your 16gb external hdd/flash card

meaning you will lose all the data on it.