Edler Scrolls Online who wants pay the subscription fee?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ColonelKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ColonelKernal
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

While I'm looking forward to seeing what The Elder Scrolls Online has to offer, I'm not too keen on the monthly £8.99 subscription cost. Seems quite a lot considering the price of the game and the Xbox Live fees.

I know lots of games do it but I'm worried that the extra money will put it out of my reach.

Or is it just because I'm and old fogey and have other, more important bills I need to worry about?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Nah I'm with you on that one, having to pay for Xbox Live and a monthly subscription seems a little ridiculous to me. I know we're not meant to be talking about the "dark side" but with the PS4, as far as I know, you only need to pay for the games subscription (you don't need PSN). I hope Microsoft follows route, because that's a lot of money to be spending on a game that still has to prove itself in my opinion.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I'm definitely not going to pay a monthly fee. I'll just keep modding Skyrim until the next Elder Scroll game is released. I should also point out that I've never been a fan of games like World of Warcraft...

ColonelKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ColonelKernal
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Is it eventually going to become free? Think that I read that somewhere... Ah well, I'll happy play Skyrim until it does!

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@colonelkernal: It doesn't look like it will ever become free. The devs said they can't fragment the players because all players might not have the same content.

For me I would probably bite into this game for a 5$ monthly fee. $10 and up is just too much. I know the devs are going to be dropping in great content but unfortunately at the current asking price, like Shark Tank"I'm out"!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@colonelkernal: People who don't like the game claim it'll become free to play, take that with a very large grain of salt.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

This game will be free to play in 6 months max. Having played the beta is was horrible and that seems to be the general consensus from people who've played it as well. I especially don't believe it'll be able to hold the $15 a month sub free value, when there's simply a huge and popular market of free to play games to turn to, not to mention pretty much every MMO in recent years has gone F2P after failing to hold a subscription model.

They seem pretty adamant it won't happen but the SWTOR people were exactly the same way and we see how that ended.

Avatar image for thenephariouson
thenephariouson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thenephariouson
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

Im a massive ES fan, and think MS have missed a real trick here, as they could easily have struck a deal in order that the fee does not apply to XBL Gold members.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 HAMMERCLAW
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

It's just a standard MMO fantasy RPG with an Elder Scrolls skin. I wouldn't pay a dime to play it.

werewillf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By werewillf
Member since 2010 • 48 Posts

I was excited when I first heard about ESO and participated in the beta, but when it comes down to it, I probably won't pay to play because there are so many great f2p mmos out there these days...

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Being somebody that has to constantly budget what I got, I'm really bummed about the sub. I will probably play it anyways for a few obvious reasons.

1. I enjoy ES lore and I am too curious to see how it is presented in an MMORPG. (beta aside)

2. There is no telling when the next ES game will come out.

3. Strongly believe the sub won't hold up and maybe early players will be re compensated for playing the game from the start apart from game progress and character progression.

4. Has the potential to have a great gaming community IMO.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I'm going to give it a try on my PC, if I like it I will pay the small monthly fee for as long as I want to play the game!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

There is no way I'm paying a monthly fee for this game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

While I understand the reluctance of many towards the monthly fee, I will get this game and try it out for a few months, I won't mind paying the fee as long as we get nice updates every month. That's just how MMORPGs work, they are online only and get constantly updated. If done well, they can be incredibly addictive and give tons of replay value. So if I end up playing 20-30 hours a month for example, the fee will be worth it. I just don't know yet how the game will be, so it's hard to tell for now if the fee will be worth it or not.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

I think it will be worth it, as long as they bring new content with that fee like new raids/updates like in WoW. I don't like the idea of it being free online cause to me, that will make the devs and all them lazy and not provide good content.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

@colonelkernal: It doesn't look like it will ever become free. The devs said they can't fragment the players because all players might not have the same content.

For me I would probably bite into this game for a 5$ monthly fee. $10 and up is just too much. I know the devs are going to be dropping in great content but unfortunately at the current asking price, like Shark Tank"I'm out"!

Nah, it'll be free after a couple of months. Just look at SWTOR. MMORPG's are dead outside of WoW, the only way the other games stay around is by being free. From what I've played in ESO so far it wouldn't even be worth a $60 purchase, it's pretty lame.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

the game is bad.... you arent missing much.

aside from that. there is nothing wrong with sub fees. 15 dollars a month is not a lot of money. you spend more than that going to dinner once a month. F2P MMOs are the worst. subscription is the only way to be fair to all players.