Dying in Mass Effect, need help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OSJ-1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OSJ-1987
Member since 2008 • 205 Posts

I borrowed Mass Effect (first one) from my friend and have been playing it. I'm about 11 hours into the game now and am on Sharjila looking for the scientist chick that Saren is after. When I head into the pirate base and through the first door, I immediately have my squad take cover (I'm using Wrex and Garrus). I make sure that they are behind something and then I have them use their abilities while I shoot at the pirates.

For some reason though, when the pirates run around the corner and I try to move my squad to another location, we all get wiped out in about all of three seconds. It doesn't matter if I use shield boost or anything like that, we still get raped. I've also had the problem of my team mates running into the middle of a group of enemies, even though I have told them to take cover. I'm not sure if this is something in the game, or if I'm too low of a level to be here, or maybe I just suck, but I'm about ready to return the game if I can't find some type of solution. I know the game is old so I thought maybe you guys might have some helpful advice.

Mr_Dunce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mr_Dunce
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

the one thing i would suggest is forget about commanding team mates and focus on killing your enemies, not sure what class ur using a weapon your class is trained in

adept/ egineer = pistols

Infiltrator = pistol/sniper

vanguard = pistol/shotgun

soldgier = allweapons

I cant really give u much more tho without knowing ur class

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I borrowed Mass Effect (first one) from my friend and have been playing it. I'm about 11 hours into the game now and am on Sharjila looking for the scientist chick that Saren is after. When I head into the pirate base and through the first door, I immediately have my squad take cover (I'm using Wrex and Garrus). I make sure that they are behind something and then I have them use their abilities while I shoot at the pirates.

For some reason though, when the pirates run around the corner and I try to move my squad to another location, we all get wiped out in about all of three seconds. It doesn't matter if I use shield boost or anything like that, we still get raped. I've also had the problem of my team mates running into the middle of a group of enemies, even though I have told them to take cover. I'm not sure if this is something in the game, or if I'm too low of a level to be here, or maybe I just suck, but I'm about ready to return the game if I can't find some type of solution. I know the game is old so I thought maybe you guys might have some helpful advice.

OSJ-1987

It ain't Sharjila mate, it's Therum she's at. When you go into Artemis Tau cluster, you see 4 systems that you can go into. The one with Therum in it is the one on the top-right. Sharjila is recommended to do only when you get the message from Nassana Dantius.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pop by my ME union, linked in my sig.

dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts

OSJ-1987
This is your first playthrough so I'll give you some advise. First of all you should really be using Ash and Liara as your team mates, you get equal soldier and biotic powers (Liara has the best biotics in the game) I used these two on my first play through, just to get the idea of the game. Don't forget weapons and armor are more important in Mass Effect 1, making sure you got the right ones for the job at hand
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
There are no pirates in the scientist's mission. My guess is you're doing some pirate stronghold sidequest in a Mako explorable planet. Those quests are hard but worth a fortune in XP, money and loot. A tip to kill the pirates is: don't enter the big room at all. take cover at the door and take them out one at the time with your sniper rifle or pistol, have your team stand still near the door (not in front of it!) in case some pirate rushes out.
OSJ-1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OSJ-1987

Oh okay, my mistake. I thought this was the planet that the scientist was on. I just wasn't sure why it was so difficult. In every fight I've been in since Eden Prime it seems like my shields get taken down really fast even if I am behind cover and my squad mates just die really quick. I am making sure that I send them to duck behind something and am trying to utilize their powers while I blast away at the enemies, but am still having trouble. I guess I'll head to Feros or something and try to do that and see if it is a little easier for me.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

Oh okay, my mistake. I thought this was the planet that the scientist was on. I just wasn't sure why it was so difficult. In every fight I've been in since Eden Prime it seems like my shields get taken down really fast even if I am behind cover and my squad mates just die really quick. I am making sure that I send them to duck behind something and am trying to utilize their powers while I blast away at the enemies, but am still having trouble. I guess I'll head to Feros or something and try to do that and see if it is a little easier for me.

OSJ-1987

Yeah, Feros is easier than Therum, but I'd go to Therum anyway to get Liara (she has the best abilities), then Feros and afterwards Noveria. Btw, you'll get a place called Virmire after you do two from those three. I extremely suggest you leave it to the very end. It makes the story go along better, and you'll see why if you do it that way.

OSJ-1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OSJ-1987

I headed over to Feros and the enemies are a bit easier, but my squad mates are still getting killed pretty easily. If I put them behind cover, then they won't take any action at all...they won't fire, won't use abilities, nothing. If I move them to another direction it's hard to get them to take cover again.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Why don't you try an easier difficulty?
Dudewrsmygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dudewrsmygame
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

You should have them use shotguns if they approach too much, and if you have a very low level or a low armor try to make some of the side missions so you get a boost of your abilities.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I headed over to Feros and the enemies are a bit easier, but my squad mates are still getting killed pretty easily. If I put them behind cover, then they won't take any action at all...they won't fire, won't use abilities, nothing. If I move them to another direction it's hard to get them to take cover again.

OSJ-1987
Don't fight enemies up close or in open areas, try to lure them in a choke point like a door, canyon or hallway. Squadmates are stupid and die easily, so send them somewhere where they won't get enemy aggro and have them cover you with long range weapons. Trust me, I had the same compalints you have now and this strategy works.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I dont think I've ever commanded my squadmates once in this game. It's broken, plain and simple. I just focus on killing enemies on my own. I do however use any special powers and abilities of my entire squad when available. But as far as physically commanding them, forget about it. I thought these missions were quite easy and I'm pretty average at playing videogames. Could be your level or something, I dont know.. but dont enemies scale in this game? Not sure. Anyways, focus on killing and use powers/abilities when they pop. And dont forget to heal.