does gaming affect your vision?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silostrike
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts
i enjoy gaming but my eyesight is not showing positive feedback and i'm only 16. my eyesight has been decline by .25 everyyear. i've been told that thats because i'm growing and my eyesight is unstable. but i think i know the true cause >_>. i'm at -3.5 and wear contacts. my dad is in his late forties and hes only -2.5. this is not looking good for me. is gaming leading to a population of blind people?
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts
You do make a valid point, but when you sit close to the television screen that is most likely bound to happen, thats why i always sit a couple of steps back, so that my eyes isnt that much in danger . :)
Avatar image for Monty_The_Great
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Monty_The_Great
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts
Well it has been proven that staring at a screen from the same distance can cause eye damage. But, I am pretty sure you have to do some sort of crazy amount of time before anything happens.
Avatar image for Monty_The_Great
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Monty_The_Great
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts

You do make a valid point, but when you sit close to the television screen that is most likely bound to happen, thats why i always sit a couple of steps back, so that my eyes isnt that much in danger . :) realistic44

been proven it doesnt have anything to do with how close you sit, has to do with how long you stare from the same distance.

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
Didn't people worry about this when TV was introduced? Anyway I have 20 20 vision.
LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts
yeah i used to have really good vision but it always feels like its getting worse from gaming. but who knows.
zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts

Didn't people worry about this when TV was introduced? Anyway I have 20 20 vision.MuffinPunk

So did I...once.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
I wouldn't think gaming on the couch would have much effect. I attribute my slow by steady vision decline to many many hours logged on the PC
silostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silostrike
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts

[QUOTE="realistic44"]You do make a valid point, but when you sit close to the television screen that is most likely bound to happen, thats why i always sit a couple of steps back, so that my eyes isnt that much in danger . :) Monty_The_Great

been proven it doesnt have anything to do with how close you sit, has to do with how long you stare from the same distance.

so you're telling me sitting 1 cm away from the tv for 5 hours will have the same neggative effect on my vision as sitting 5 feet away from the tv for 5 hours?

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
What's the big deal? So you're watching tv or whatever, you're just using your eyeballs... with use comes wear...
bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
i wear contacts (and glasses, depending how lazy i feel when i wake up) and my vision as well is rapidly declining. but, i'm also 16 and i think i'm just getting older or something.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

Dont play games too much? I dont think its the games though.

If anything, I'd think gaming would help your eyesight by making you able to see things clearly sooner as there's so much action going on screen at once in some games. Your eyesight is taking everything in and your brain idenifies it.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i would say no. it all depends on how close u sit to the tv. i use to have good vision then i got glasses.
JiMMay4ShiZZay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JiMMay4ShiZZay
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts
I've played videogames all my life and my vision has also declined my entire life to the point that I am now legally blind, but I don't blame videogames I blame genetics. Bad vision runs in my family. Videogames do not.
ThE_SoCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThE_SoCK
Member since 2003 • 459 Posts

i dont think it does...

ive been gaming all my life and im not using glasses or contacts at all. not sure if i'm 20/20, but i have no problems at school or with reading. I wouldn't know for sure if gaming hinders eyesight or not

btw, almost everyone in my family has a prescription for their eyes or w/e except me. And i am also 21... gaming since like 4 or 5

illbcnu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 illbcnu
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I don't know but i play BadCompany and Forza alot and sometimes when im walking down the street i see movements out the corner of my eye or someone in a window and i get this BadCompany feeling and sometimes when im driving certain corners or even cars on the road give me my Forza feeling !! :D no jokes :oops:

GH_pyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GH_pyro
Member since 2008 • 77 Posts

I think it also has to do with how long you stare at it in one sitting. What I mean is that playing for 2 sessions of 1 hour is probably easier on your eyes than playing for 2 hours straight.

I had 20-20 last time I went to the eye doctor. But I feel that my sight may be declining at a very slow rate. At least reading -something that a lot of gamers don't like- is more destructive.:twisted:

JiMMay4ShiZZay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JiMMay4ShiZZay

i think we just need to eat more carrots and find something else to do with our right/left hands

"son, if you masturbate you'll go blind"

"dad, i'm over here"

starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
simple,dont play games in the dark nor sit close to tv.and you will keep great vision :D
km1498

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 km1498
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts
Been gaming all my life and my eyes are perfect or at-least near perfect.
JiMMay4ShiZZay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JiMMay4ShiZZay
im somewhat surprised that nobody has come in here saying "i used to be blind but since i started playing videogames my eyesight has gotten progressively better" lol
paul999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 paul999
Member since 2003 • 240 Posts
Of course it dose, is like reading a book...
Avatar image for GameMasterCraig
GameMasterCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GameMasterCraig
Member since 2007 • 630 Posts
My eyesights pretty good, I don't wear contacts or glasses. But I sit quite far away from the TV which probably makes a difference.
gamming_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamming_master
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
DAMN IT PEOPLE LIFES SHORT WHO CARES IF U GO BLINDE AS LONG AS UR HAVING FUN !!
Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
I've been wearing glasses for 12 years now (since I was 10) and that had nothing to do with playing videogames, watching tv or sitting behind the computer because I was always at a proper distance, while my brother was stuck behind the computer constantly since he was 9 and his vision is still fine to this day. I hate to say it but I guess declining vision just happens more rapidly for some.
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
atleast sit 3 meters back
BlackSpazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlackSpazz
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Dont play games too much? I dont think its the games though.

If anything, I'd think gaming would help your eyesight by making you able to see things clearly sooner as there's so much action going on screen at once in some games. Your eyesight is taking everything in and your brain idenifies it.

Matt-4542

well i played xbox 360 every single day and my eyes started enduring pain..... but my eyesight is still pretty good.....

BlackSpazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlackSpazz

Well it has been proven that staring at a screen from the same distance can cause eye damage. But, I am pretty sure you have to do some sort of crazy amount of time before anything happens.Monty_The_Great

well that might explain my eye pain.... it got better when i didnt play it for the rest of the day

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts
I need glasses apparently but i have not wore them in years and my eye sight is really good.
BlackSpazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BlackSpazz

My eyesights pretty good, I don't wear contacts or glasses. But I sit quite far away from the TV which probably makes a difference.GameMasterCraig

not really....

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 paulokoenigkam
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts
When I'm not working out, or with my girlfriend, I'm always in front of a screen, be it videogame or computer. Many people I know hd to wear glasses, because the doctor said the screen worsened their vision. My mother always nagged to me that videogame would destroy my eyes, and I play A LOT since I was like 3. Guess what? I have one of the best visions I know, I can read stuff pretty far away, can find things in the dark when no one else I know can. I was also told that it would cause me Repetitive strain injury. Which I know many people that also have and play games and stay on the computer MUCH LESS then I do. It varies from person to person. Videogames never had any negative physical effect on me, and I play as much as I can.
AymanBashir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AymanBashir
of course it does.......television emits rays that are proven harmful for the eye...thats why we see screen filters on some tvs and especially computer moniters...i d suggest u sit away from the tv or computer about 4 meters and sit in a well lit room :)
BlackSpazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlackSpazz
i think it sorta depends on how big ur tv is. if its like a medium sized square.... you cant help but move up a bit and look at what ur doing...... but if its like a plasma sized tv move all the way back lol
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
well my eyesight definetly has not improved since starting gaming. I will def need to go see the eye doctor before my eye exam for driving.
hardrocker2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 hardrocker2244
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

If you sit like 2 inches away from the screen you might be causing something, but otherwise, you just have bad eyes.

I've been gaming all my life, and I see almost 20/20.

Badmutha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Badmutha
Member since 2002 • 1096 Posts

[QUOTE="MuffinPunk"]Didn't people worry about this when TV was introduced? Anyway I have 20 20 vision.zintarr

So did I...once.

Alas... so did I. Of course, I'm getting pretty old by GS standards, lol!
ChrisGamer5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 ChrisGamer5757
Member since 2003 • 476 Posts
When i was about 18 i noticed i was starting to have to squint to see things at a distance, an eye docter visit later confirmed i was a -1.0. I spent alot of time pc gaming back then ( i'm 22 now) but i never attributed that to affecting my eye sight and that it was just normal with age. Weirdly tho, my eyes haven't gotten progressively worse and have stayed at -1.0, still use the very first pair of glasses that i got.
porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts
if you go to school, or have a job you cant be playing too, too much. |If you are one of those guys that has 100 days of playing time in call of duty, then your vision probably isn't great.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

What a strange thread.

It's like claiming that reading books negatively effects your vision...some people require glasses, others don't. That has nothing to do with video games, besides, how is it the faultof video games specifically,but not television in general?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Of course it dose, is like reading a book...paul999
No, it's not. It's a scientific fact that staring at a screen does NOT damage your eyes in any way even if you press your nose against it. The only thing that will happen is that your eyes will get tired but they won't be harmed.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Here's even some linkage.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points