Does anyone even play Gears of War 2? is online dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I mean is this games online dead or something? i picked up the bundle today with Gears 1 and 2 both in 1 package, so after the Gears 3 beta ( which seemed to have less than 29k of players online ) i thought i would start with Gears 2 online, waited over 20 minutes and couldnt get into a single game..anyone else having this issue? are everyone playing Black Ops or something?

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Gears 3 beta has atleast 50k on it, there's always 25000+ on TD alone.

To answer your question, yes Gears 2 is still very active. You should have no problem finding a match.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 finalstar2007

I'm pretty sure the Gears 3 beta has atleast 50k on it, there's always 25000+ on TD alone.

To answer your question, yes Gears 2 is still very active. You should have no problem finding a match.

gta4_2112

Not for me, it clearly showed my region has 20k something and an overall of 30K something..oh well guess i will try again later tonight or during the weekends, maybe more players will join or i will just trade it in and get black ops even tho i already own it on PS3 -_-

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Gears 2 is still very active and you should have no problem finding matches even without the map packs but having them will make it even easier plus you cant play social without the maps.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 finalstar2007

Gears 2 is still very active and you should have no problem finding matches even without the map packs but having them will make it even easier plus you cant play social without the maps.

Gen007

I sure got the maps too, they came free with the bundle but the download is too huge which is why i started with the game without letting it fully finish downloading

metaknight36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metaknight36
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

i still play it actively, still alive and well my friend.

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

Wait a week and me and many other people will be back on gears 2

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

Search in the Social playlist. It's a bit lame you play against bots until players gradually starting coming in. That's why I stopped playing. I could search all day and never find a ranked match.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
I play from time to time and from what I've played online, it's still pretty active. Also, you have a 360?
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#10 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

I concur. It's still very active and noticed several of my friends playing this now instead of the beta. As mentioned before try the social or even horde. A good deal of people play these modes.

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

The players will come back once the Gears 3 beta has ended.

I would reccomenddownloading the DLC so you can play social matches.

Horde usually has some players as well.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 kairikh
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

top 3 most lively xbox FPS

Call of Duty 4, MW2, and Black Ops

Halo (probably not 1 or 2)

Battlefield Bad Company

Gears 1 hasnt seen much online action in quite awhile tho im sure some servers exist, gears 2, i havnt played in about 3 years so im gonna guess its slowly dying...

Right now the most played online Beta would be Gears 3 though

as i mentioned to you yesterday u may buy gear's for its online but u probably only keep it for its campaign, online is not wat ur used to compared to typical call of duty, Gears online is more of run and gun respawn, or duck, cover and shoot type of game. Hope that helps ya out :)

Avatar image for tehsystemwarior
tehsystemwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tehsystemwarior
Member since 2009 • 1812 Posts
played gears 2 bout a month ago and never had a problem finding a game. I'd guess it's in the top 10 games played on xbl.
drokmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 drokmore
Member since 2005 • 1863 Posts
Ya once beta is over youll probably see a bump in peeps playing 2. Ill probably crack it back open as 3 nears going live to get the mojo going.
Jdez15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Jdez15
Member since 2011 • 202 Posts

I mean is this games online dead or something? i picked up the bundle today with Gears 1 and 2 both in 1 package, so after the Gears 3 beta ( which seemed to have less than 29k of players online ) i thought i would start with Gears 2 online, waited over 20 minutes and couldnt get into a single game..anyone else having this issue? are everyone playing Black Ops or something?

finalstar2007

The thing is, most of the people who play gears of war 2, are playing the beta right now. Just wait until the beta is done, and everyone is going to flock back to GOW2.

Jdez15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jdez15

top 3 most lively xbox FPS

Call of Duty 4, MW2, and Black Ops

Halo (probably not 1 or 2)

Battlefield Bad Company

Gears 1 hasnt seen much online action in quite awhile tho im sure some servers exist, gears 2, i havnt played in about 3 years so im gonna guess its slowly dying...

Right now the most played online Beta would be Gears 3 though

as i mentioned to you yesterday u may buy gear's for its online but u probably only keep it for its campaign, online is not wat ur used to compared to typical call of duty, Gears online is more of run and gun respawn, or duck, cover and shoot type of game. Hope that helps ya out :)

kairikh

Battlefield Bad Company 2 still has an amazing amount of players.

Jdez15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jdez15

The players will come back once the Gears 3 beta has ended.

I would reccomenddownloading the DLC so you can play social matches.

Horde usually has some players as well.

krunkfu2

Guardian is where it's at!

Lord_Nuclear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Lord_Nuclear
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

People still play it. Believe it or not, people still play the original Gears of War.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I think it should be noted that Gears of War 2's matchmaking was always a bit flawed. Sometimes you could be searching for ages and it just not work, and then you could cancel and restart the matchmaking process and you will get straight in to a game. Gears of War 2's matchmaking is not as bad as it was when the game was first released, but it is still a little broken in that aspect. You will grow to become patient with it though :).
bobomb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobomb64
Member since 2005 • 737 Posts

Firstly, nice one on picking up the gears games, they are great and you'll have lots of fun with them, so don't go trading them in just yet.

Secondly, I know it's a huge file but complete the download of the maps which will allow you to play social. You will find it much easier to find a game on social than ranked.

Last of all, is that a lot of the community including myself are on the beta at the moment, so it will get alot busier on there as of next week.

Hope that helped.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

finalstar2007
It's because your a low level. I had this happen to me as well when I started playing Gears 2 online a few months ago. Gears 2 online uses TruSkill to match you up with similar skilled players, in your case (I assume) new players. Well there really aren't that many new players around, so sometimes it will take forever. Just do what I did and play some Horde matches on your own and level up a few times and you should be getting into games a lot faster
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I still play it regularly. It still has an active community.