does anyone believe the A.I in a game prepare anyone for online competitors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Unknown_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Unknown_B
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

In games like sports, fighting, and any competitive gaming does anyone believe the A.I. can prepare you for anything online. When I play games like Virtua Fighter 5 or Street Fighter IV the A.I works on timing and chaining combo, but even on the most diffcult settings these games A.I aren't enough to give u any remote training for online competitiion. Same could be said for games like Madden or NBA 2k9, Im wondering if UFC's A.I. well prep anyone for the online battles to come. Its almost as if now gaming A.I is in a flux, consumers ask for it to be smarter and harder, but it really serves no purpose to anyone to get better

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I don't think the AI prepares you for online MP. However, I find SF4's AI more challenging than most people I've played with so far (and I'm just about an average player).
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
the AI won't respond to mixups and mindgames, so to a certain extent, i'd say that the AI won't prepare you that well. it's good for practice and all, though the AI will lack enough for those looking to get into some serious competition.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I think some specific games it can help e.x. Street Fighter 4 but overall they don't really prepare you, though its good aiming practice in fps's
4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts

It will prepare you bring your A game online but it's totally up to you how you play online. It's like in real life you practice with your teamates it will prepare you for the real games. There's just so much stuff that goes on online that every second counts how you deal when faced with a situation. Personally I don't spend much time playing with the AI, I just familiarize myself with the controls & gameplay of a game then go online ASAP & try to gain as much experience. You'll lose a lot in the beginning but that's just how it works.

4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts

I used to play NBA 2k8 & played a 48 min. game in HOF & just shoot jumpshots the whole game. It helped my game a lot online as I almost can't miss when I'm wide open & can score 40 pts. with Vlad Radmanovic. In SF 4 I did practice Gouken's grab & Super/ Ultra finish I can pull it off 99% of the time online when I'm fully awake.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#7 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
At least enough to let them get the controls of the game.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

They're good enough for teaching you the basics, but once you play online, they just don't stack up. You can always surpass a set difficulty level, but they'll always be someone else with a different playstyle online that you have to adapt to.

SpotonRisotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 SpotonRisotto
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

it gets you ready for game mechanics more so than pvp.

Dsh1znit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dsh1znit
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Well playing some single player Left 4 Dead on expert really helps you to get ready to play against a good team on versus.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#11 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

if street fighter iv is what were talking about then no, nothing beats real people.

Avatar image for TheActionFigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheActionFigure
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

Playing against real people is always a mixed bag. People think themselves out of set-ups where a computer often fails miserably. Games like SFIV are two different can of worms online & off.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 12003 Posts

The AI will prepare you to a point but there will be another jump in the learning curve when you start MP.