Do you rent movies over XboxLive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

racastro65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 racastro65
Member since 2006 • 1081 Posts

I have found myself downloading many TV shows and movies the past few days over XboxLive. The HD quality is REALLY good I may add, and thats probably something that got me started. The service has been out for a while and this is when I'm enjoying it.

What do you guys think of the service ?

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
I've rented maybe 3 movies on it. I've had my 360 since launch. I like that I can get access to this stuff. I just don't think it's worth it. I'd much rather have my shows and movies on DVD/HDDVD ... and it's more expensive than renting at a videostore. I dunno. Theres just something about having a physical copy of what I am paying for that I like.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
Theres just something about having a physical copy of what I am paying for that I like.ibanezdropd

Yeah I agree with you man. I'd rather just rent everything from the store, but that may change because soon everything is going to be like this.
Onliner2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Onliner2
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
I've rented quite a few movies over Live just to save some time and gas from driving down to the local vid rental store. It's a good service, it could probably be a little cheaper, but the quality is good and it's nice to be able to download a movie. The rental terms, however, suck in my opinion. After you play the movie once, you only have 24 hours to watch it again so you have to make sure that everyone who wants to see the movie too is there.
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
No way. Not because it has anything to do with me living in Canada, but because I have a wireless network adapter and the possibilities with this thing are amazing.
War_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 War_Martyr
Member since 2007 • 598 Posts
I just buy TV shows. It's a reasonable price, and it doesn't expire.
DontEvenTry0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DontEvenTry0
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
bought a few to try it out when i got my new hdtv but its expensive if they made it cheaper than video store/netflix yeah i would. They could charge a monthly fee and you get to watch unlimited like netlfix (charge more money since you dont have to mail) and limit to 15/30 movies a month or something? Id buy that.
devil_1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 devil_1994
Member since 2007 • 596 Posts
no because its not worth it
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
nope, the Canadian video marketplace sucks.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
No - I get cheaper rentals elsewhere, and wouldn't consider downloading an entire season paying with MS points
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Yes, if I'm dying to see a movie and don't feel like going to the video store, which is a mile away. I got this cute movie Stardust off Live the other day.

Here's something that bothers me about the whole thing: The selection. They have the first and last Matrix movie, but not the midddle one. They have The Fellowship of the Ring, but not the other two movies. What the f***? And those are just two examples off the top of my head. I'm sure if you went through the whole library, you'd find numerous examples of this sort of thing.

Oh, they have Rocky II and Rocky III, I think, but no Rocky IV. I guess making the most popular one available would just make too much sense. And this p***ed me off, 'cause I really wanted to see Rocky IV the other day.

Munkey4098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Munkey4098
Member since 2004 • 451 Posts
i have downloaded a few movies but i would just rather download the tv shows that you watch again.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
No i haven't yet and i don'tthink i ever will.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Ive downloaded a couple. But i would download them like crazy if they gave me more than 24 hours to watch the damn thing. The last movie i downloaded, i started when i got home from work. I got called out to a service call, (im on call), 10 minutes into the movie and didnt get back until the middle of the night, way too late to finish watching it. By the time i got home from work the very next day, the movie had expired. I wont be downloading another one until they give us more time.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Heck no! The Points system is absurd and a waste of money. I don't always watch rentals in 24 hours. There is a blockbuster across the street where I can rent Blu-rays. Also, I have a couple of connections to people that can get me most DVDs for dirt cheap. So unless microsoft can start making it a little less expensive, a little more convienient, and adding more content, I don't see the service taking off. Most people still prefer having a piece of round plastic in their hands, and I dount that feeling will change soon.
loganr426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loganr426
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I've done a couple but now i mostly get just TV shows. I use netflix for my movies.

However there is a rumor going around that Netflix may partner up with Microsoft to let members of the service rent out movies using Xbox live and their 360 console. Netlix's CEO joined the Microsoft board of directors late last year and the Netflix site has been taking surveys asking their customers if they would like to see Netflix movies using their xbox. Many people expected an announcement about a partnership this month, but Microsoft and Netflix have not announced anything as of yet.

As a Netflix user and lover, I would be super excited if something like this were to happen. More movies for me!

ObjectiveTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ObjectiveTruth
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
This is Microsoft's Market strategy:

People wonder why they didn't back HD-DVD as much as they could have and its simple. They think HD-DVD vs. BlueRay is a waste of time. The future is all about

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT. Why would I fill my room with disks when i could have the whole room's worth in a single harddrive.

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts
If Canada had tv shows then I would be buying them! we only have movies(like 40 of them). XBL should get on that. The movies i have downloaded have been excellent quality though, well worth it. (i wish i could buy the movies for 20 bucks)
Darkzero6x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkzero6x2
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
i have but i'd rather go through netflix do watch my movies like i do now. its just cheaper.
Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts
Hell no. It's a crappy service. It's the future of movie formats, but Microsoft can't implement it well at all right now.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts
No, I don't watch enough movies to need the convenience of downloading a movie from Live, and also don't really have the capacity. Besides, I have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players for HD content. Netflix plus BOGO/half off sales keeps me in movies.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
If there were better movies then I'd probably use the service more, but the movies suck over Live. Last one I got was 310 to Yuma, which was great, but those quality movies come out like once every three months it seems.
sonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sonj
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts
Nope I use netflix they have everything and anything. There monthy price is great also.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
No, the choice of movies in Canada is waaaaay too small, and there is not a single TV show available.. and the prices are more expensive than the video store or local blockbuster. I WOULD however if they had tv shows and stuff.
gifflegerbpiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gifflegerbpiss
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts
I would rather have a hard copy and there's barely anything in the video store.