do u remember back in the old days where.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

minx1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 minx1988
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

there was no online multiplayer and games that were made had a really long story mode.

nowadays i think that game companies focus on the multiplayer rather than single player lifespan..(imo)

tell me what % would u like to see in a game e.g 80%story 20% multiplayer

i personally think 70% story 30% multiplayer would be best

iNFAMOUS_PETER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 iNFAMOUS_PETER
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

I remember those times. Games like Mass Effect and Bioshock were great representations of this type of game, but I think I'd like to see more games be like Fable 2 where the story mode can be endless and Multiplayer is just friends hopping in and out of your game and helping you with quests and what not.

But trust me we all remember those times, though I can't give you a precentage, like I said more games like Fable 2 would be great.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I'm more irritated with the fact that a lot of companies are so concentrated on making money from a game that they release it way to soon and chop it up to make something that could have been many times better.
Avatar image for deactivated-583cc789d981d
deactivated-583cc789d981d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#4 deactivated-583cc789d981d
Member since 2008 • 1722 Posts

unfortunately these days are long gone, i have never bought a game for multiplayer and i never will. the cod series is the one that has really suffered, cod 2 had an awesome and huge single player, cod 4 has pretty decent single that only lasts 5-6 hours and it's only going to get worse. hopefully there will always be games like mass effect and fallout 3 that are made purely for single player

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

unfortunately these days are long gone, i have never bought a game for multiplayer and i never will. the cod series is the one that has really suffered, cod 2 had an awesome and huge single player, cod 4 has pretty decent single that only lasts 5-6 hours and it's only going to get worse. hopefully there will always be games like mass effect and fallout 3 that are made purely for single player

Phoenix6359
I agree 100% man. I personally prefer a good story and single player, I still enjoy multiplayer but I have never bought a game just for that.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts
Yup, the good ol' days. I still love multiplayer, but sometimes I wish the singleplayer was better(Inevitably what I will be thinking if I get mw2). I want more games like KOTOR and Oblivion. I would perfer to buy just 1 or 2 multiplayer games(like halo or cod4), and the rest would be deep singleplayer games(like KOTOR), but now the industries trying to shove multiplayer games games down our throat, and not make any more singleplayer oriented games, just like what happened to the KOTOR series. I'd say 70% single 30% percent multi
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

Yup, the good ol' days. I still love multiplayer, but sometimes I wish the singleplayer was better(Inevitably what I will be thinking if I get mw2). I want more games like KOTOR and Oblivion. I would perfer to buy just 1 or 2 multiplayer games(like halo or cod4), and the rest would be deep singleplayer games(like KOTOR), but now the industries trying to shove multiplayer games games down our throat, and not make any more singleplayer oriented games, just like what happened to the KOTOR series. I'd say 70% single 30% percent multipl4yer_f0und

i agree with all of you. like you said pl4yer, i buy one or 2 multiplayer based games im happy with and the rest really good Story driven SP games.

twitchscb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 twitchscb
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

Those definitely were much better times for gaming... The thing that I'm annoyed with these days isn't even the multiplayer aspect, it's the fact that a developer cuts the game short so this so-called "convenient" DLC generation can go and buy a $10 expansion that would've just been in the original game 5 years ago... Don't get me wrong I definitely think that the possibility to extend games with DLC is a great step in the industry and if it were tagged onto games like KOTOR it would be amazing the amount of depth you could get out of the game... But these days it just seems like the game isn't EVER complete on release day, it doesn't help when the developer is already ready to release a fully polished expansion a month later

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 bronxxbombers
Member since 2009 • 2840 Posts
Depends. For FPSs, I like 40 SP and 60 MP. For most other games, 70SP, 30MP.
metal_teddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 metal_teddy
Member since 2005 • 384 Posts

The thing is though, Multiplayer games such as online FPS are technically endless. Which means that you can play it again and again and again, and companies making FPS games don't have to spend as much times making huge storylines.

Now that almost everyone has an internet connection, online gaming is becoming more and more popular and companies will make games for the popular markets because it's the best way they can make money. Games will most likely continue on this path, better and more multiplayer games but shorter and shorter storylines and campains.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
its called an RPG
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

forget those days, i miss simple games, like Street fighter II, Super mario, Asteroids, hell, i miss pacman more than anything now. . .

JS0123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JS0123456789
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

I'm still stuck in the old days too. I like games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, BIA: HH, Dead Space, Fable 2 because they're all about single player.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well actually there were many games, well most games I should say back in the day were just as short as a number of games are now. But the difference is games back then didn't have stories and load screens and alot of stuff that games have now, so when you had a 6 hour game back in those days it was actually 6 hours of gameplay and not 6 hours after cinema scenes, load screens, set pieces, mission briefings etc. My gripe with online is the fact that its made out to be a necessity, every game must have online or its incomplete, like games back in the day weren't just as fun whether you played alone or with some friends. And of course the abuse of DLC, gaming was alot better when things were simpler, when it wasn't just about the cheapest way to squeeze every dime out of you.
13Th_Gray_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 13Th_Gray_Fox
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts

Most of games dont need multi player , i think only games like cod , halo , Sport games , fighting games and racing games need it

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chaoscougar1

Most of games dont need multi player , i think only games like cod , halo , Sport games , fighting games and racing games need it

13Th_Gray_Fox
lol FPS, sports games and fighting games covers quite a bit of the gaming industry
13Th_Gray_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 13Th_Gray_Fox

[QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"]

chaoscougar1

lol FPS, sports games and fighting games covers quite a bit of the gaming industry

i didnt mention FPS , most of FPS games dont need multiplayer , but sport , racing and fighting games could be better with online matches

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts

What bothers me, is implementing multiplayer with games that stand alone perfectly without that element. Resident Evil 5 is a perfect example. Some games simply do not require it and are often better without it.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
Those were definitely good times back then. With this generation of consoles, there is more focus on multiplayer than ever before. Like many have already stated, some games are great without multiplayer. If we were to take a poll and ask the forum posters what their favorite game is, I'm sure the majority of the games listed will be single player games. I feel that an excellent single player games offer a more rewarding experience than an excellent multiplayer game. I understand the importance of multiplayer in some games, but I think some games are getting carried away with it. Seriously, do games like Resident Evil 5 Versus, F.E.A.R. 2, Bionic Commando, and Max Payne 3 REQUIRE multiplayer? I only play one game regularly that has online multiplayer: Halo 3. Games like COD4, Halo 3, Madden, and UNO are successful multiplayers. There's a strong multiplayer fanbase for these kinds of games. Games like Fable 2, F.E.A.R. 2 and Bionic Commando are epic flops with multiplayer. It's a waste of money to develop multiplayer for those games. Those games simply can't compete in multiplayer against COD or Halo. There isn't a strong fanbase for multiplayer in games like Bionic Commando or F.E.A.R. These games are atrocious when it comes to online multiplayer. If it were up to me, I'd only have a few games be online multiplayer. A great single player story will always be better than a great online multiplayer.
MidtownShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MidtownShow
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

I agree with all of you. I'm a FPS fan, though it sucks that the single player in them is always short. Wish they make the games like the old times.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"]

13Th_Gray_Fox

i didnt mention FPS , most of FPS games dont need multiplayer , but sport , racing and fighting games could be better with online matches

haha your kidding right? name a console FPS without MP that is successful
13Th_Gray_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 13Th_Gray_Fox

[QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"]

chaoscougar1

I could name so many console FPS that MP didnt bring anything for them

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chaoscougar1

13Th_Gray_Fox

were they successful in SP though? and name away...
13Th_Gray_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 13Th_Gray_Fox

[QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"] haha your kidding right? name a console FPS without MP that is successfulchaoscougar1

No they were not successful as halo or cod in single player this is why i say most of them dont need MP , turok , fear , perfect dark zero , call o juarez : BiB ...

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Actually imo, back in the day (80's and 90's) games were infact shorter, the catch was, So many games in the 80's and 90's were insanely hard, You had to memorize timings to get through obsticles and learn patterns of every single encounter in the games. Reality is those games were mostly 2-4 hours in length, but sinse you spent an entire year trying to beat X encounter it seems like forever.

Games now are so EASY to play and get through there is just no challenge like there used to be in the old days.

While its True AI is getting better and better. but fact of the matter is, all you have to do is RUSH the AI and it never stands a chance.

If you want the Old School Feel again you just need to play something like Call of Duty on Veteran. Thats how your SUPPOSED to play it. Yea its 3hrs on Easy. but 20 on Veteran because of a Steep learning Curve.

Sometimes the most effective games in the world are the ones that are the easiest to design.

3D has infact imo made games simple these days. Instead of having to go through a Trap, You can just go around it. It has made games "Cool" But at the same time insanely Simple.

Nothing will ever beat the good old days of NES and SNES gaming

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Honestly, multiplayer is an after thought for me. I won't even buy a game that doesn't have a single player mode in it. Now I do like local multiplayer, but again, it should not be the focus of the game.

I also have to second the comments made about older games actually being short, but it took a while to get good at it. A good example of this is the Metroid 2D games. They seem to be long enough, but now-a-days after some plays you can finish a whole game start to finish in 1:30... But it was getting to that point that took all the time. Also, about a successful FPS without multiplayer, it probably doesn't count but Metroid Prime. But it is correct to assume most people that are big into FPS want multiplayer... I think it is one of the driving forces of why I don't care for the genre much anymore.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Those definitely were much better times for gaming... The thing that I'm annoyed with these days isn't even the multiplayer aspect, it's the fact that a developer cuts the game short so this so-called "convenient" DLC generation can go and buy a $10 expansion that would've just been in the original game 5 years ago... Don't get me wrong I definitely think that the possibility to extend games with DLC is a great step in the industry and if it were tagged onto games like KOTOR it would be amazing the amount of depth you could get out of the game... But these days it just seems like the game isn't EVER complete on release day, it doesn't help when the developer is already ready to release a fully polished expansion a month later

twitchscb

Totally agree with u, I hate spending $10-$15 on DLC which I think should already be included inthe game. I think too many developers think about making DLC while theyaremaking the game, instead of thinking about making DLC after the game, which means developers take out stuff from the game just to sell seperately (I'm looking at you activision).

RanRane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RanRane
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts
Multiplayer usage seems have now been conveniently plonked into a game, to make it more "team orientated" and "fun", in place of having a good, long and solid storyline. I'd much rather a 30 hour solo game, than a 6 hour solo game with the ability of multiplayer.
strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
yes, dlc is stupid... This is why I support Bioware so much, because their games are always long, and even if there is dlc its more of a bonus rather than something that should have been included in the game disc in the first place (Im talking about you capcom!!!!!! with your re5 multiplayer) I totally agree with you guys, campaigns are only getting shorter and shorter these days, and its not even just that fact that bothers me. Its that most games are made for multiplayer, but in all seriousness, their multiplayer is awful because the developers didnt set a large enough budget for the multiplayer ( Im looking at your Epic games, with your garbage user based host system ) Its just really hard to find a good game production company now adays.
strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
AND WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CO OP? why do game companies think that since there is competitive online, there should not be a campaign co op? Oh yeah, and the splitscreen co op is nowhere to be seen nowadays
Tom_delonge555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tom_delonge555
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
[QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] lol FPS, sports games and fighting games covers quite a bit of the gaming industrychaoscougar1

Bioshock.
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

yea i agree TC...i hate games that a multiplayer focused

i'm mainly a single player guy, that's why i love games like mass effect, metroid prime, oblivion and what not

but of course i DO love multiplayer too (it's why i'm a gold member after all) but it's just not on my top priority list for a game

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CDUB316

Tom_delonge555

Bioshock.

and metroid prime series

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CDUB316

&[QUOTE=quot;chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] haha your kidding right? name a console FPS without MP that is successful13Th_Gray_Fox

yea...there is bioshock, metroid prime, deus ex was on the PS2 without multiplayer, fallout 3 (FPS with rpg elements so don't call it an RPG), the first condemned

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
Yeah, I miss Rare constantly making 9.5+ games for N64 :P
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
[QUOTE="13Th_Gray_Fox"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] haha your kidding right? name a console FPS without MP that is successfulchaoscougar1

Dead Space
Tom_delonge555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tom_delonge555
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

RobboElRobbo

Dead Space

Dead Space is a TPS, not an FPS.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

AND WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CO OP? why do game companies think that since there is competitive online, there should not be a campaign co op? Oh yeah, and the splitscreen co op is nowhere to be seen nowadaysstrawberry9

i agree. wish more games had split screen but you have to factor in whether the game can technically handle co-op split screen. Halo gets bashed so much for not having graphics like COD and gears but I beleive the graphics were sacrificed a little to allow 4 players to play online on one console. no other FPS currently lets you play 4 player split screen online

MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

I'm more irritated with the fact that a lot of companies are so concentrated on making money from a game that they release it way to soon and chop it up to make something that could have been many times better. Ghost_702

couldnt agree more. feels like companies release incomplete games and then they release a DLC to complete the story or w.e and charge 1200 MSP for something that should have been there since the very beggining.