Devil May Cry 4 Reviews Up.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

IGN 8.7/10

1UP 8.5/10

GamePro 4.5/5

OXM 7.5/10

EGM 8.5/10

Xbox World Australia 90/100

Not bad, good scores all around. Seems like the demo wasn't represenitive of the final game in the end.

trentman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 trentman7
Member since 2007 • 2969 Posts
Awesome......looks like my preorder of DMC4 isn't going to waste :P....first hack n slash game ive ever bought lol
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
good scores as apected
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
I plan to purchase it however, I am disappointed that I can't use Dante in every level after beating the game.
kostas360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kostas360
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

Thank u Lord!

Hopefully DMC4 is goin to be as good as i expect. A game like that is a real treat for me, this is my favorite kind of game. And since i dont have much love for FPS's, i was starting to ponder if buyin the 360 was a good move....

I salute all DMC and Ninja Gaiden fans out there. Our time has finally come!

Airsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Airsoul
Member since 2005 • 3155 Posts
Im getting the game. Played the demo and like it. BTW I kinda dont buy games based on reviews, is up to me if its good or not..
Avatar image for lukasz_erecinsk
lukasz_erecinsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lukasz_erecinsk
Member since 2004 • 1235 Posts
Everyone know that it would turn out to be a game that will be wort having, yet not an outstanding piece of work.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Im getting the game. Played the demo and like it. BTW I kinda dont buy games based on reviews, is up to me if its good or not..Airsoul

agreed.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

[QUOTE="Airsoul"]Im getting the game. Played the demo and like it. BTW I kinda dont buy games based on reviews, is up to me if its good or not..killerfist

agreed.

i'll 3rd that statement good sir

Rampanterage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rampanterage
Member since 2003 • 2215 Posts
I enjoyed the Demo too. I've seen there's a lot of people complaining about the camera, but it seems to they were all born in the FPS era. I really can't see a big difference between the camera angles in DMC4 and the past NG. I think the same people complaining about the camera in DMC4 will complain about in NG2. Beside it's a fun game, maybe not a GOTY but it's entertaining and thats what I look for in a game.
hschaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 hschaf
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="Airsoul"]Im getting the game. Played the demo and like it. BTW I kinda dont buy games based on reviews, is up to me if its good or not..KGB32

agreed.

not me... i cant go and rent every single game before buying one, next best thing is to read up on a game. watch/read reviews of critics and subscribers.however, certain games (such as gta, metal gear, lots of sports games) ill get regardless of their review because i know a lot of those games from prequels.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ket87

I enjoyed the Demo too. I've seen there's a lot of people complaining about the camera, but it seems to they were all born in the FPS era. I really can't see a big difference between the camera angles in DMC4 and the past NG. I think the same people complaining about the camera in DMC4 will complain about in NG2. Beside it's a fun game, maybe not a GOTY but it's entertaining and thats what I look for in a game.Rampanterage

People seem to forget with all these FPS games out now that with the tiny exception of RE4 and Gears of War every single 3D game ever made has had an annoying camera. Is this new to you people, seriously? If you've been gaming at the least since the N64 and PSX you know this already that cameras have sucked and will continue to suck in just about every non FPS game. By a stroke of luck it seems RE4 and Gears behind the shoulder third person shooter works for that type of game but not all. Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden both have terrible cameras and reading the IGN review they say it was too be expected and didn't make a big stink out of it.

Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
i preordered the collectors edition already
levitius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 levitius
Member since 2005 • 862 Posts

whats wrong with the camera in the dmc games, think about it, with all the hacking and slashing of demons going on a camera that was completeley manual would be useless. you can just brandish everygame ever made that not a fps gears of war and resi 4 with a crap camera. it makes no sence, stop being such a noob and play some other games other than those because if you did play these games then you would find that there are plenty of games out there with good cameras

nsoufiani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 nsoufiani
Member since 2004 • 1829 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

[QUOTE="Airsoul"]Im getting the game. Played the demo and like it. BTW I kinda dont buy games based on reviews, is up to me if its good or not..KGB32

agreed.

i dont have the time or money to see if a game is good or not. I have to know that what im spending my money on is good quality. If i were to go by your thinking, id buy any game and would dislike alot of them. By reading reviews, I can be assured that what I'm spending my money on isn't going to waste. I am spending only on quality and nothing else.

The only purchase i made which i regret is assasins creed. Gamespot overrated that and they know it. They know it and I know they will never admit it. That is why I go to gamerankings to check the average now.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I always go by reviews.

If the game has a 3.5 average/10 why would you play it? if 50+ reviews say its trash, its most likely trash.

I play games with a 7.0+ average review, unless Im obsessed with it...

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
The only purchase i made which i regret is assasins creed. Gamespot overrated that and they know it. They know it and I know they will never admit it. That is why I go to gamerankings to check the average now.nsoufiani
There's this little thing called an opinion, and believe it or not, not everyone's is the same. EET'S TROO!! AYE SWEAR!
ComradeCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ComradeCrash
Member since 2005 • 2519 Posts

Awesome......looks like my preorder of DMC4 isn't going to waste :P....first hack n slash game ive ever bought loltrentman7

Yep, same goes for me! I can't wait!

jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

Sweet. Too bad I bought Mass Effect so I'm broke now. Thought I would like it, but for me is extremely boring. That game feels like work. Bought the strat guide for it too. now I must sell it to buy Devil May Cry 4. Dante vs. Shepard no contest.

alihayatahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alihayatahmed
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts
Well, for those of you saying that personal opinions are better than reviews, that is true, but I've found the average of reviews tends to be similar to what I would rate the game too, maybe with a 1.0 margin of error. I can say that there has never been a game 7.0 or lower that I've liked. Reviewers explain why they gave it the score they gave, so reviews do help in letting you judge for yourself, you don't have to take the score given to you, but it's good getting other people's opinion and information before buying a game. I thought Turok was going to be good, but from what I've read it's not really, and so I'm not buying it. That's not just because it's been given bad scores, but because they've named reasons like repetitive gameplay, texture pop-ins, etc. and I judge from that. Like in real-life, you probably ask your friends if they liked a game before you buy it, reviews are the same thing; they stop me from buying games like Lair.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
OXM gave it a 7.5? wow I thought they were the kind of staff that would have loved this kind of game. oh well I'm still gonna get it. I need my intense action fix and GOW3 won't be coming anytime soon.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#24 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

OMX with the low score, but most people know, OXM and EGM don't matter.

Seems like the demo wasn't represenitive of the final game in the end.

Very few times in the past two years where it was.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ket87
I figured OXM would score it lower, based solely on the fact DMC was a PS2 exclusive franchise untill now and the precious Ninja Gaiden was Xbox's only real good hack 'n slash game.

And the demo comment wsa just because everyone has been hating on the game because of the demo when the demo is not the final game and the reviews all seem to point to the opposite of the statements people here were making about the combat and difficulty.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

In all fairness, the demo is supposed to encourage people to buy the game, and it might not have done so well in that aspect. Previous DMC fans should know what to expect from the series, but those new to it may not fully understand the depth of the combat mechanics to actually pursue any further interest. That might be why a lot of people seem to write the game off as a derivative hack and slash game.

I think it would have been better to have the demo the way Ninja Gaiden did it, provide some weapons and several difficulty levels for a single stage to give you an idea of what to expect. It might have received more favorable impressions around here.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Nice. My brother is getting it the day it comes out. He's a huge DMC fan.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
Gametrailers review is up if anybody is interested. The game gets an 8.6
gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
This is what I expected. XD
CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

In all fairness, the demo is supposed to encourage people to buy the game, and it might not have done so well in that aspect. Previous DMC fans should know what to expect from the series, but those new to it may not fully understand the depth of the combat mechanics to actually pursue any further interest. That might be why a lot of people seem to write the game off as a derivative hack and slash game.

I think it would have been better to have the demo the way Ninja Gaiden did it, provide some weapons and several difficulty levels for a single stage to give you an idea of what to expect. It might have received more favorable impressions around here.

_Dez_

You sir.....hit the nail right on the ass. Could not have worded it better, should of got better scores tho....

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
still a rental for me....
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ket87
[QUOTE="_Dez_"]

CoreoVII

You sir.....hit the nail right on the ass. Could not have worded it better, should of got better scores tho....

I expected about the range that it got. Even DMC3 as awesome as that game was only faired in the mid eight region, GameSpots review for it being in the mid 8's said it was the best game in the hack n slash genre just that brick wall learning curve that kicks up in Mission 3 was just killer.

Even though I kind of expected OXM to hate it I wouldn't have thought they would have went down to 7.5. They're the only review thats low for it so I got to check it out. Because its OXM I sense some strong Ninja Gaiden bias coming from it but I should check it out for myself.