Dashboard Advertisements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZildjianUFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZildjianUFO
Member since 2004 • 245 Posts

Hey I looked around a bit but I couldn't find an answer to my question, so sorry if this has been posted already and I just suck at looking. :/

I have had xbox live for a long time now, since around when it came out. At the time I first got it my step-dad set it all up for me because I was younger and my parents still didn't trust me with the "internets".

Anyway, I went over to a friends house today and noticed something cool on his dashboard. He had just gotten a 360 a couple of weeks ago, and therefore set up his xbox live only recently. He had like advertisements for games all over, like in these boxes to the right of the "Messeges, Friends, Chat and IM ..etc" and below where mine says "Xbox Live" there was something there too.

On my dashboard it just says "Xbox Live: Games, Tournaments, Entertainment. All the rewards, Endless possibilities, what are you waiting for?" and it has never changed. I guess this may sound wierd to people but I actually would really like those advertisements. And I was just wondering if maybe my account is still counted as a "Child Account" maybe? I don't really know how their system works but I'm almost 19 now so..

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

ZildjianUFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ZildjianUFO
Bump? :oops:
s3lFc0nTr0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 s3lFc0nTr0l
Member since 2006 • 3028 Posts

yea i think child accounts dont get ads, im 15 and put my info in honestly cuase im kewl like that lol so i dont get ads, while other people do.

and id like ads too, they tell you about special things so i dont have to search the marketplce. also, the 'featured downloads' section is always empty for child accounts

s3lFc0nTr0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 s3lFc0nTr0l
Member since 2006 • 3028 Posts

yea i think child accounts dont get ads, im 15 and put my info in honestly cuase im kewl like that lol so i dont get ads, while other people do.

and id like ads too, they tell you about special things so i dont have to search the marketplce. also, the 'featured downloads' section is always empty for child accounts

ZildjianUFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZildjianUFO

Yea I thought thats what it had to be.. Damn well is there any way to change it?

Or should I call microsoft?

Thanks for your reply!

drunk3nrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 drunk3nrabbit
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts

I contacted customer support when I turned 17 and they said that I'll have to wait until I'm 19, so you shouldn't have long to wait until the parent lock is automatically lifted, or you have a right to complain.

hope this helps

ZildjianUFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZildjianUFO

Oh ok thanks man.

I think I'll give them a call to see if I can do anything, but if not I'll just wait a couple months.

Thanks again guys!

ZildjianUFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZildjianUFO

Hey so i just called, and after being directed to different departments several times, and waiting on hold forever, I got to talk to someone. Although pretty much everone I talked to had heavy accents, I was still able to kind of describe my problem. It didn't really sound like they understood me though..

But finally this lady sounded like she knew what I was talking about, put me on hold, and then told me that there is no way for them to ever change the "child profile". She said that it's permanent and she's sorry..

So this kind of sucks because I also can't sign up for that "Windows Live Messenger" thing. I tought about just making a new account, but I'm pretty sure I just paid for another year on this account, and I think that would get rid of all my Gamerscore, which would really suck. Especially since I just got all the achievments in Halo 3! :(

I hope this lady just didn't know what she was talking about...

desertrat_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 desertrat_90
Member since 2004 • 376 Posts

I'm lucky.. before I got live I tried logging in to xbox.com with my windows live ID and it said you are too young to log in or something so I edited the age on my windows ID account to 1989 i think rather than 1990 and I have the ads. Good thing I did it before I got live else I would have been stuck with a child account.

Anyway, IMO it is a very silly thing indeed that the account doesn't automatically change to an adult account when the owner reaches, say, 18 let alone the fact the there is no way for Microsoft to change the account! That's just as dumb as Microsoft not letting XBL users remove credit cards from their accounts and making credit card subscriptions auto renew themselves!!!

Chirico_Cuvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Chirico_Cuvie
Member since 2003 • 842 Posts
proof that you are too young, you are trying to add advertising to your life.
kjun1_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kjun1_3
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Just a suggestion, but what if you cancelled your xbox live subsciption via phone and rejoined xbox live after changing your age to older, or joining under a different email that says you're older.This might get youthose ad's. Tell me if this works (if anyone is gonna try it) cause I want those ads too. They really brighten up the dashboard.
Flavour666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Flavour666
Member since 2003 • 345 Posts
The new dashboard update features an "promote child account to full account" menu. Use it.
Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts
I hate those adverts because they ruin my backgrounds.