darkness 8.5 ign uk review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

thoughts?

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
My predicion was 8.2-8.5 for GS... so hopefully I will continue to be accurate :) Sounds good to me, anyway. Looks like a very solid game, but it isn't for me, so I'm not picking it up.
XlpranksterlX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 XlpranksterlX
Member since 2005 • 7438 Posts
With the new gamespot rating scale it might get one here too.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
I bet you it will get an 8.5 but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a 8 or a 9.
RogueEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 RogueEdge
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
I said 9.0 before. I'll stick by it.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
my guess for GS is a 9 :D
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I'm still predicting a 9 at Gamespot.
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts
I really dont see whats so special about this game...
RogueEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RogueEdge
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

I really dont see whats so special about this game...hama666

You can say that of most games. It's just another game, you might like it, or you won't.

Something different though, is the ability to use your 'dark' powers. Watch some gameplay vids.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

It's bringing a unique, fresh and interesting take on the tired FPS genre. And that, my friend, is VERY special.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz

I could say that about mainly every 360 game in your gamertag.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Staryoshi87

[QUOTE="hama666"]I really dont see whats so special about this game...Zeliard9

It's bringing a unique, fresh and interesting take on the tired FPS genre. And that, my friend, is VERY special.

Hmm.... the mafia and new york accents? The Godfather. The moody young male main character? 90% of Japanese 360 games =P. The somewhat hardcore gore? Gears. The underworld monstas? Various horror games... but with a nice twist. I don't think it's fresh, but it does do a good job of mixing what many other games do well and making a pretty good game out of it :)

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="hama666"]I really dont see whats so special about this game...Staryoshi87

Hmm.... the mafia and new york accents? The Godfather. The moody young male main character? 90% of Japanese 360 games =P. The somewhat hardcore gore? Gears. The underworld monstas? Various horror games... but with a nice twist. I don't think it's fresh, but it does do a good job of mixing what many other games do well and making a pretty good game out of it :)

I'm talking about its gameplay mechanics, not the basics of the story. Self-aware demon heads on either side of you that are able to chew their victim's faces off, and slither along the floor and into crevices and hard-to-enter rooms, and rip out your victim's hearts as a way to recharge your powers. Unique minions that you can command to do your various bidding? That's fresh in an FPS. I've never seen that before, have you? Your comparions are a little bit simplistic and nonsensical too, I've gotta say. Darkness isn't fresh because it has "somewhat hardcore gore" like Gears, and "underworld monstas" like "various horror games"? That doesn't even make any sense. That's like saying Gears isn't fresh because it has a chainsaw like Doom.

bleedingbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 bleedingbunny
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="hama666"]I really dont see whats so special about this game...Staryoshi87

so what ur saying is its kind of like resistance fall of man that took good ideas and mixed them up into a nice looking game.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Staryoshi87
Well, on a side note, I don't think Gears was fresh because it was a gorier version of Hide-and-Seek, but that's another matter. I'm just saying there isn't anything to this game that makes me go "I really want to get it." All I get from it is a feeling of "It looks good, but it's not for me." I do think that it does a good job of pulling various pieces from various genres and past games, though, along with adding a bit of its own uniqueness.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zeliard9
I guess I just don't see how after the endless influx of war-themed, futuristic, and otherwise cookie-cutter shooters we've seen in the past decade, The Darkness isn't seen as bringing a fresh perspective on the genre. Especially when it comes to the 360, a system with probably too many shooters. If The Darkness isn't a unique FPS, then what is?
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Staryoshi87
Lost Planet... although it isn't an FPS =P Perhaps Prey. Hell, I'll even say Shadowrun. It's shallow as heck but it's unique. I don't want unique as much as I want "fun." ;) The Darkness looks somewhat unique, but not enough so to increase my low perception of its fun output.
callofdutyzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 callofdutyzzz
Member since 2006 • 1829 Posts
New video here.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=7sK3AqFYAWQ
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

Mixing all those aspects into one game = Well worth $60

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Staryoshi87
Oh Bioshock, you won't leave me be until I build a shrine to The Darkness and kneel before it, will ya? =D
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BioShockOwnz

Oh Bioshock, you won't leave me be until I build a shrine to The Darkness and kneel before it, will ya? =DStaryoshi87

Exactly, Mr. Transformer! :( Your words mean nothing when you buy Transformers over The Darkness. :P

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeliard9

Lost Planet... although it isn't an FPS =P Perhaps Prey. Hell, I'll even say Shadowrun. It's shallow as heck but it's unique.Staryoshi87

That's true about Prey. It was definitely unique (mainly the level design). Underrated, too. Shadowrun is unique but limited, but your point is taken. I was referring mainly to single-player experiences, though. I think one game that perfectly describes what you consider The Darkness to be, a mishmash of successful FPS elements and outside influences, is Starbreeze's previous game Chronicles of Riddick. That's a game that combined a lot of different things into a very successful package. The Darkess seems to be bringing a little more of its own stuff to the table, though. Have you played Riddick? If not, you might feel differently about The Darkness if you do.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Staryoshi87
Actually, I was thinking of picking up a used copy of Riddick today =P I watched Pitch Black and Dark Fury yesterday... Finally got around to buying The Chronicles of Riddick DVD. Going to see if they have Riddick at GS and perhaps watch The Chronicles of tonight. I liked the first two movies.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BioShockOwnz

Actually, I was thinking of picking up a used copy of Riddick today =P I watched Pitch Black and Dark Fury yesterday... Finally got around to buying The Chronicles of Riddick DVD. Going to see if they have Riddick at GS and perhaps watch The Chronicles of tonight. I liked the first two movies.Staryoshi87

Riddick isn't such a great movie. Pitch Black is a lot better. The game is better than the movie, so definitely give the game a try. Remember, it's not BC with the 360, so it must be played in an OG Xbox.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Staryoshi87
Ah, then I guess I'm out of luck, since I never have and never will own an original xbox =/ I hear bad things about the newer movie.... but I'm looking forward to the transition from Sci-Fi Horror to Sci-Fi Adventure.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zeliard9
Well if you're thinking of getting Riddick, you should know that it isn't backwards compatible with 360, which is just sad. I bought it and found that out. Luckily, I bought a used copy of it for $4.99, so it wasn't exactly a big loss. And good thing I'd already beaten it before, since my original Xbox died. Also a good thing is that Starbreeze is releasing a very souped-up version of Riddick for next-gen consoles fairly soon. That's gonna be awesome. Still, that should've been one of the top Xbox games to concentrate on making backwards compatible with 360.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Staryoshi87

Since I haven't had a chance to play the Original XBox, I'm psyched about the Revamp. The BC support is a bit disappointing though.... Good thing the only xbox game I own is Fable :)

Roughan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Roughan-
Member since 2007 • 328 Posts

I'm not gonna pay attention to the review because im anti-IGN

akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
to each his own.
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts

[QUOTE="hama666"]I really dont see whats so special about this game...BioShockOwnz

I could say that about mainly every 360 game in your gamertag.

when did my gamertag come into this?

All im suggesting is that I really dont see why people are suggesting the game will receive very high reviews, however each to its own and anyway I never really said this would be a bad game.

Avatar image for xRuNnIngShaDoWx
xRuNnIngShaDoWx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xRuNnIngShaDoWx
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

Its based off a comic book that came out before any of those games you mentioned came out.The story is very unique because of that. Your quite wrong actually plus you cant compare The Darkness gameplay to ANY OTHER FPS. Dont even try. The Darkness is unique. Period.

You could do what you did with every other single game there is.

sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
Im gonna say a 9
Mikerules868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mikerules868
Member since 2004 • 2153 Posts
im sticking with atleast 9 for GS
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Bollocks
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
The game looks like crap compare to the comic series imo.They hardly take advantage of what he really can do and thus give him a gun?since when "The Darkness" uses guns for main priority for crying out loud he turns shadows into solid objects, ect.Definatly gonna wait till this hit the 20 dollar margain cause you looking at a medicore fps shooter.I recomend reading the comic series, its really spectacular and revolutionize comic book artwork in many amazing ways due to the artistic style of Mark silvestri.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeliard9

The game looks like crap compare to the comic series imo.They hardly take advantage of what he really can do and thus give him a gun?since when "The Darkness" uses guns for crying out loud he turns shadows into solid objects, ect.Definatly gonna wait till this hit the 20 dollar margain cause you looking at a medicore fps shooter.I recomend reading the comic series, its really spectacular and revolutionize comic book artwork in many amazing ways due to the artistic style of Mark silvestri.OoSuperMarioO

Thanks for the heads-up, Peter Silvestri.

airbo0309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 airbo0309
Member since 2006 • 1021 Posts

I've officially been Rick Rolled!!! P.S.The Darkness will own face

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]The game looks like crap compare to the comic series imo.They hardly take advantage of what he really can do and thus give him a gun?since when "The Darkness" uses guns for crying out loud he turns shadows into solid objects, ect.Definatly gonna wait till this hit the 20 dollar margain cause you looking at a medicore fps shooter.I recomend reading the comic series, its really spectacular and revolutionize comic book artwork in many amazing ways due to the artistic style of Mark silvestri.Zeliard9

Do your research http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_%28comics%29

Im also sorry for spelling it mark instead of marc bud

-NAMMY-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -NAMMY-
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts

The game also got 8/10 at Eurogamer, and 9/10 at 1UP.

From what I've read so far I would guess GS would give it about 8.5. Its a pity there isn't a demo yet because of delays.

Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts

Well, on a side note, I don't think Gears was fresh because it was a gorier version of Hide-and-Seek, but that's another matter. I'm just saying there isn't anything to this game that makes me go "I really want to get it." All I get from it is a feeling of "It looks good, but it's not for me." I do think that it does a good job of pulling various pieces from various genres and past games, though, along with adding a bit of its own uniqueness.Staryoshi87

Same here. Not for me either but I hope others enjoy it.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]The game looks like crap compare to the comic series imo.They hardly take advantage of what he really can do and thus give him a gun?since when "The Darkness" uses guns for crying out loud he turns shadows into solid objects, ect.Definatly gonna wait till this hit the 20 dollar margain cause you looking at a medicore fps shooter.I recomend reading the comic series, its really spectacular and revolutionize comic book artwork in many amazing ways due to the artistic style of Mark silvestri.OoSuperMarioO

You're telling us the game is mediocre because it doesn't conform perfectly to the comic book it's based on. It's a different medium. What do you expect? Were the LOTR movies exactly like the books? You haven't even played the game, anyway, so you have no idea how closely it follows the comics. Besides, the main dude does end up getting the Darkness guns in the game at some point and no longer uses real guns after that.

THORNRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 THORNRAGE
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I say sleeper hit all the way.

Taz-Bone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Taz-Bone
Member since 2004 • 1388 Posts
Not bad.
Avatar image for xRuNnIngShaDoWx
xRuNnIngShaDoWx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xRuNnIngShaDoWx
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

I say sleeper hit all the way.

THORNRAGE

Its not a sleeper any more.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]The game looks like crap compare to the comic series imo.They hardly take advantage of what he really can do and thus give him a gun?since when "The Darkness" uses guns for crying out loud he turns shadows into solid objects, ect.Definatly gonna wait till this hit the 20 dollar margain cause you looking at a medicore fps shooter.I recomend reading the comic series, its really spectacular and revolutionize comic book artwork in many amazing ways due to the artistic style of Mark silvestri.Zeliard9

You're telling us the game is mediocre because it doesn't conform perfectly to the comic book it's based on. It's a different medium. What do you expect? Were the LOTR movies exactly like the books? You haven't even played the game, anyway, so you have no idea how closely it follows the comics. Besides, the main dude does end up getting the Darkness guns in the game at some point and no longer uses real guns after that.

The scale of LOTR is way to hard for games nowadays but for a comic book I feel it should be possible.Saying LOTR is like saying a gamelike Star Wars should replicate exactly like the universe, it aint gonna happen.I personally feel a comic book like Darkness should be able to handle this well with the technology out now rather then a straight fps shooter(No creativity or innovation at all).If you read the comics just as well as I did the game seems a bit disapointing giving from the story and gameplay.In short ways Im sick of seeing FPS shooters providing the means of what a game should be.Superman for the xbox360 was great from a gameplay perspective in ways as of controlling and getting the feel of your favorite super hero but what that game lacked was great story telling.