Core: $199 Premium: $299 Elite: $399

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

If anyone can remember the PS2 had a price drop in the fall of 2002, from $299 to $199 and already had $20 games(Greatest Hits) in just two years on the market. So technically it only costed $250 to play a game on PS2 Vs Xbox $350+ after tax to play a game on that console.

I think this whole elite thing will hurt Microsoft if they dont lower the price this fall, because right now Sony's low end is looking like a better deal then Microsofts highest SKU.

PS3 is $499 with blu-ray and upgradeable 20GB HDD(Theres a 160GB HDD on newegg.com for $110)
360E is $20 cheaper with no next-gen video format, HDMI and a 120GB non-upgradeable HDD. 

The lower SKU PS3 looks like a better buy if you plan on a gaming/multimedia experience. MS is simply stupid if they don't lower cost on X360s whole lineup by atleast $100 to keep the PS3 looking over-priced. I think its not hard to do with the newer refined CPUs and system sellers like: Halo 3, GTAIV, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Mass Effect will push off the line:D

So my predictions for this fall is for MS to lower all of its SKUs by $100 or face demise:
Core: $199 or discontinue - I personally think they should keep this SKU because the sight of a Next-gen console for $200 equals a steal in my eyes
Premium: $299 - Even if the Elite stays at $479 this SKU should drop in price so that they have a good, well priced alternative to compete with their own Elite and Sonys Core SKU
Elite: $399

What do you think of this idea? I say it could work.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

NO! MS will lose money

ROFL

-Saul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 -Saul
Member since 2006 • 1072 Posts

If anyone can remember the PS2 had a price drop in the fall of 2002, from $299 to $199 and already had $20 games(Greatest Hits) in just two years on the market. So technically it only costed $250 to play a game on PS2 Vs Xbox $350+ after tax to play a game on that console.

I think this whole elite thing will hurt Microsoft if they dont lower the price this fall, because right now Sony's low end is looking like a better deal then Microsofts highest SKU.

PS3 is $499 with blu-ray, HDMI and interchangeable 20GB HDD(Theres a 160GB HDD on newegg.com for $110)
360E is $20 cheaper with no next-gen video format, HDMI and a 120GB non-interchangeable HDD.

The lower SKU PS3 looks like a better buy if you plan on a gaming/multimedia experience. MS is simply stupid if they don't lower cost on X360s whole lineup by atleast $100 to keep the PS3 looking over-priced. I think its not hard to do with the newer refined CPUs and system sellers like: Halo 3, GTAIV, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Mass Effect will push off the line:D

So my predictions for this fall is for MS to lower all of its SKUs by $100 or face demise:
Core: $199 or discontinue - I personally think they should keep this SKU because the sight of a Next-gen console for $200 equals a steal in my eyes
Premium: $299 - Even if the Elite stays at $479 this SKU should drop in price so that they have a good, well priced alternative to compete with their own Elite and Sonys Core SKU

Pro_wrestler

Uhhh... the low end PS3 doesn't have HDMI, nor WiFi and no possibility to upgrade to any of them. And the HDD of the X360 is interchangeable. 

JoeWii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 JoeWii60
Member since 2006 • 2456 Posts
So to get more people to buy there console MS raise the price?, dumb ****** . Haven't they learned anything from Sony's troubles. Anyone who trades in a perfectly fine premium console for this new milking machine deserves to be ripped off by MS.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pro_wrestler

NO! MS will lose money

ROFL

def_mode
Thats possible, but how much more will they lose if no one is buying their product at all?
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pro_wrestler
[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]

If anyone can remember the PS2 had a price drop in the fall of 2002, from $299 to $199 and already had $20 games(Greatest Hits) in just two years on the market. So technically it only costed $250 to play a game on PS2 Vs Xbox $350+ after tax to play a game on that console.

PS3 is $499 with blu-ray, HDMI and interchangeable 20GB HDD(Theres a 160GB HDD on newegg.com for $110)
360E is $20 cheaper with no next-gen video format, HDMI and a 120GB non-interchangeable HDD.

The lower SKU PS3 looks like a better buy if you plan on a gaming/multimedia experience. MS is simply stupid if they don't lower cost on X360s whole lineup by atleast $100 to keep the PS3 looking over-priced. I think its not hard to do with the newer refined CPUs and system sellers like: Halo 3, GTAIV, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Mass Effect will push off the line:D

-Saul

Uhhh... the low end PS3 doesn't have HDMI, nor WiFi and no possibility to upgrade to any of them. And the HDD of the X360 is interchangeable. 

The 360 Elites is not upgradeable so the only real advantage it has is 12GB HDD.
Mastachief2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Mastachief2552
Member since 2004 • 1903 Posts

NO! MS will lose money

ROFL

def_mode

as of right now ms is making money on each console they sell, which is very good for them because traditionally console makers loose money on the hardware. so ms could actually lower the price, loose money on the hardware but make up the loss in software sales.

Mastachief2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Mastachief2552
Member since 2004 • 1903 Posts
lets not forget that ms still has another announcement tonight, it might just be a price drop for the core and the premium.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pro_wrestler
So to get more people to buy there console MS raise the price?, dumb ****** . Haven't they learned anything from Sony's troubles. Anyone who trades in a perfectly fine premium console for this new milking machine deserves to be ripped off by MS.JoeWii60
Well, they said that they wanted people to feel like they are getting an Elite product or something. So, yeah now they have 3 different consoles which can be confusing to the avg. customer and just might turn them off completely, it could aslo be good for them cause of Variety but also bad again because of its price/features vs. PS3 price/features.
Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts
[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]

-Saul

The 20gig ps3 does have a HDMI port.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pro_wrestler
lets not forget that ms still has another announcement tonight, it might just be a price drop for the core and the premium.Mastachief2552
Yeah, I was hoping it would be that and the spring DB update
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts
How many times to I have to ****in say this.  GAMES!  Who cares which system is more powerful for the money if it has no games.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts
[QUOTE="-Saul"][QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]

anime-2k3

The 20gig ps3 does have a HDMI port.

I was just about to say that. and you can add wifi to the low end ps3. also, the PS3 hard drive is also interchangeable.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
A pricier version doesn't spell doom for the 360, it's just another option. Most people will still buy the Premium I'm thinking.