Convince me Why I or someone should get Xbox One

• 58 results
#1 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

This is not meant to start any arguments, so I'm throwing that out. The reason I started this thread is because for some reason I tend to favor Sony more. Maybe I am a partial fanboy. Not really. But I never had an Xbox Original, I had a PS2 as a kid. So I feel biased a little towards Xbox. However, I do have a 360 and do love Gears of War. Halo's okay, it's kinda good. But Sunset Overdrive looks like it may be fun.

For a while I told myself I didn't need an Xbox One, I'd just get a PS4. And I will. But then I saw a commercial from Aaron Paul and after E3, started wondering if Xbox One would be a good addition. I think the machine is way too big. But Gears of War and Sunset might be great titles for my library. Don't care much for Forza.

Any other reasons why I should get Xbox? I don't care much for the TV thing. And I don't play online much. I will only buy Xbox if I really feel the need for it. Just wanted your honest opinion. I'm looking for reasons why to buy or not to buy.

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19345 posts) -

Convince yourself !

We're not your advisors and you're not the queen of england.

As for me.... I'm not getting an Xbox one because I'm not American..... :p haha

#3 Edited by kingcrimson24 (537 posts) -

We can't convince you to like something ! its just personal tastes . like , I can't make you like Metal music . same with video games .

but I'm just gonna tell you the reasons that I have xbox one :

I was a big fan of Halo universe since 2004 , when I stepped into this amazing world on Xbox . a world with it's own history , races and cultures and its expended into not just Video games but also books and shows . its going to continue on xbox one by Halo collection and Halo 5 . so thats probably my number 1 reason to get Xbox one .

Forza Motorsport games are also great for a car lover like me . Quantum Break , a game made by Remedy ( creators of Max Payne and alan wake ) is also a great reason to get xbox .

Loading Video...

and Gears of war , Fable , projekt spark , Sunset overdrive , Phantom dust , Scalebound , Crackdown and other Xbox exclusive can be great additions to your game library .

beside games , the Online service Xbox live is really good and I love it. i have many good friends there , UI is great to use . You can almost do anything while playing the game without quitting . and Kinect has the potential for some great uses in games . there are also other entertainment that even if you don't have games to play they can keep you busy .

like I said , its just a matter of personal taste to like those games and features or not . if you feel you like them then get xbox one ;)

#4 Edited by HAMMERCLAW (53 posts) -

@mdk12345:

@mdk12345 said:

This is not meant to start any arguments, so I'm throwing that out. The reason I started this thread is because for some reason I tend to favor Sony more. Maybe I am a partial fanboy. Not really. But I never had an Xbox Original, I had a PS2 as a kid. So I feel biased a little towards Xbox. However, I do have a 360 and do love Gears of War. Halo's okay, it's kinda good. But Sunset Overdrive looks like it may be fun.

For a while I told myself I didn't need an Xbox One, I'd just get a PS4. And I will. But then I saw a commercial from Aaron Paul and after E3, started wondering if Xbox One would be a good addition. I think the machine is way too big. But Gears of War and Sunset might be great titles for my library. Don't care much for Forza.

Any other reasons why I should get Xbox? I don't care much for the TV thing. And I don't play online much. I will only buy Xbox if I really feel the need for it. Just wanted your honest opinion. I'm looking for reasons why to buy or not to buy.

No one like you should ever get an Xbox. You couldn't handle it.

#5 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Well I would consider getting one if it was half the size, or much smaller. Plus I need another price cut. When it's at the end of it's life cycle and on sale, I might get it. But they gonna have to give me more reasons if I'm to get it anytime soon.

#6 Edited by Adam802 (112 posts) -

Because Destiny has been confirmed to run at 1080p on Xbox One... This is a sign of things to come...

Once XB1 runs games the same as PS4 the 2 consoles will be, for all intents and purposes, equally as powerful for multiplats. So the only thing differentiating the XB1 and PS4 will be the exclusives, controller, and services. IMO I think XB1 has a better controller, exclusives, and XBL is more stable/smoother than PSN. And the XB1 has more features with kinect that can still be used if you want to.

Xbox One is absolutely a great gaming console in a great place right now, no doubt at all.

#7 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

well, I'd put an Xbox one on my list, but it's too big. How small with the Slim version be? You know I'm not not going to change my entertainment center for Xbox one. I would put it vertical, but it's even too tall. The thing is massive! Where are you supposed to put it?

#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

well, I'd put an Xbox one on my list, but it's too big. How small with the Slim version be? You know I'm not not going to change my entertainment center for Xbox one. I would put it vertical, but it's even too tall. The thing is massive! Where are you supposed to put it?

it's not that big and how fucking small is your "entertainment center"?

and no you can't stand the xbox one up.

#9 Posted by BattleSpectre (7774 posts) -

I love how everyone makes out the Xbox One to be so bloody HUGE and that it doesn't fit anywhere except on a dinner table. Also check out the future games that are coming, convince yourself.

#10 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

I love how everyone makes out the Xbox One to be so bloody HUGE and that it doesn't fit anywhere except on a dinner table. Also check out the future games that are coming, convince yourself.

Bottom line is it's big and I find it ugly. I want small and sleek. My entertainmet center already has PS3, Wii u, x box 360 and will have PS4. Maybe I'll have to build a new mini shelf.

#11 Posted by Mesomorphin (879 posts) -

Because of exclusives that rock!

#12 Posted by CTR360 (7424 posts) -

i buy xbox 1 with halo 5 and gears of war 4

#13 Edited by BattleSpectre (7774 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Bottom line is it's big and I find it ugly. I want small and sleek. My entertainmet center already has PS3, Wii u, x box 360 and will have PS4. Maybe I'll have to build a new mini shelf.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. You don't need convincing I just think you want people to admit it's big and ugly..

... Am I right?

#14 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

@mdk12345 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. You don't need convincing I just think you want people to admit it's big and ugly..

... Am I right?

Or maybe that Xbox Slim is coming soon. They could improve its design.

#15 Posted by WG_McFartypants (233 posts) -

It's too big. This statement confuses the hell out of me. It's a BOX. You're going to stick it on a shelf and never look at it again. I just can't wrap my head around this being a factor. Same as the color (the excitement over a white PS4 just boggles)...

As for which console to get? It's all about the experiences you have when using them. I have both. Right now they're both kind of lackluster and buggy. They're both getting better. If you like Halo, you're getting an Xbox. If you like Uncharted you're getting a PS4. Like multiplats? Then if you've got friends on one system or the other you're going with that. If you're torn, you'll eventually have both. *shrug*

I try not to listen to the hype too much anymore. I figure the ones trolling loudest would be quiet if their system was good enough to keep them occupied.

#16 Posted by thehig1 (3611 posts) -

@mdk12345: you shouldn't buy an x1, or any gen 8 console for now it's a lot of money for what your getting.

Either invest into gaming pc or if your sticking to consoles be patient and wait another year or so until games are out and there cheaper

#17 Edited by BattleSpectre (7774 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@mdk12345 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

... Am I right?

Or maybe that Xbox Slim is coming soon. They could improve its design.

If it was coming soon I would of assumed they would of announced it at E3, like Sony did their white PS4 bundle. There's no doubts it's coming, but I estimate in 2-3 years.

#18 Posted by donalbane (16382 posts) -

It's marginally less powerful than the PS4 graphically, but the added feature set makes it a powerful addition to any entertainment center... especially one with a cable box already set up. Also, the games look solid, and almost all of them have a cooperative aspect.

#19 Posted by Jaysonguy (38210 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:
I think the machine is way too big.

Don't get it, please don't get anything related to gaming.

Know why? Then you and I will both play games and when people refer to game players you and I will be lumped in the same bunch of people and I don't want to be associated with you. You make the people who debate a console based on the wattage it uses seem like they have a compelling argument. The people who wont buy a console unless it's a certain color? Freaking MENSA LEVEL DEBATE compared to this.

#20 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@wg_mcfartypants said:

It's too big. This statement confuses the hell out of me. It's a BOX. You're going to stick it on a shelf and never look at it again. I just can't wrap my head around this being a factor. Same as the color (the excitement over a white PS4 just boggles)...

As for which console to get? It's all about the experiences you have when using them. I have both. Right now they're both kind of lackluster and buggy. They're both getting better. If you like Halo, you're getting an Xbox. If you like Uncharted you're getting a PS4. Like multiplats? Then if you've got friends on one system or the other you're going with that. If you're torn, you'll eventually have both. *shrug*

I try not to listen to the hype too much anymore. I figure the ones trolling loudest would be quiet if their system was good enough to keep them occupied.

Well you have to understand my position. I have multiple entertainment centers in my room. One for crt and other is HDTV. And each entertainment center has a certain amount of consoles. So in order for me to put in an Xbox one, I would have to take out another console. I play PS3. I'm intersted in gettting a PS4 now and will have PS3 and PS4 alongside each other. I also have a Wii U. There is absolutely no more room for an X Box One. As is, the Xbox 360 is already sitting on a mini stool. The only way I could have room is to take it out or build a complex shelve system with multiple levels. Don't act like the Xbox One isn't huge. Sure if it was the only system I had I could work something out, but when you have multiple consoles, you might not be able to fit in an X box one. I have 2 entertainment centers already, so my situation is different than someone who's giving up his consoles to put in an Xbox One.

#21 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@mdk12345 said:
I think the machine is way too big.

Don't get it, please don't get anything related to gaming.

Know why? Then you and I will both play games and when people refer to game players you and I will be lumped in the same bunch of people and I don't want to be associated with you. You make the people who debate a console based on the wattage it uses seem like they have a compelling argument. The people who wont buy a console unless it's a certain color? Freaking MENSA LEVEL DEBATE compared to this.

I would get it sooner or later. There is room in my entertainment for a PS4. I can line my PS4 up vertically. Even if I don't play it vertically, I can still store it vertically. The Xbox One won't even fit vertically into my center. Why the hell is it so big? Sure it's for ventilation, but if I don't have room for it, that's no use for me either.

I mean unless you KNOW a particular entertainment center that can fit multiple consoles. i use the Atlantic Gaming center, here it is....

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/phoenix-gaming-hub-phx-gme-hb/prod10650387.ip

and there is NO way for an Xbox one. So unless you guys can SHOW me an entertainment center, a brand, that is affordable and big enough, it will be impossible for me to fit in an Xbox one.

Don't get defensive guys. I'm not attacking MS. Truth is I do favor Sony because I grew up with PS2 and have so much nostalgia. I love playstation. Not saying it's better, I'm biased. But to be honest I want to play Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown, and if there is a Gears of War 4... I know that I can only play it on Xbox. So part of me wants it later on. But it depends on if there is such an entertainment center that is big enough for me to have an Xbox One and my other consoles.

#22 Posted by WG_McFartypants (233 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@wg_mcfartypants said:

Well you have to understand my position. I have multiple entertainment centers in my room. One for crt and other is HDTV. And each entertainment center has a certain amount of consoles. So in order for me to put in an Xbox one, I would have to take out another console. I play PS3. I'm intersted in gettting a PS4 now and will have PS3 and PS4 alongside each other. I also have a Wii U. There is absolutely no more room for an X Box One. As is, the Xbox 360 is already sitting on a mini stool. The only way I could have room is to take it out or build a complex shelve system with multiple levels. Don't act like the Xbox One isn't huge. Sure if it was the only system I had I could work something out, but when you have multiple consoles, you might not be able to fit in an X box one. I have 2 entertainment centers already, so my situation is different than someone who's giving up his consoles to put in an Xbox One.

In my experience, take that for what it's worth, I found that after I got the Xbox One my Xbox 360 got less use. After I later got the PS4, I pretty much stopped using my PS3. Now they're all still sitting in my entertainment center along with the amp, dish box, and next to my gaming PC... But they don't get used much, if at all.

That's more psychological than anything. After I had the Xbox One while there was (and still is, in my opinion) more and better to do on the 360. The 360 became tainted in my head as last gen... I didn't want to get anything new for the console because I either wanted it to come out on the One or it somehow seemed inferior. Same with the PS4. My PS3 right now exists only for 3D movies. I was going to get The Last Of Us, which I never played when it was new, but holding out led to better options.

It's dumb and just psychology, but once you go forward you're less inclined to want to go back.

YMMV.

#23 Posted by xgraderx (2395 posts) -

"Its too big".lol.I need a super sized entertainment shed to own one.Seriously?Its not that big,Its not much bigger than a 360.I know if I want a console a couple inches isnt going to stop me.Move the old consoles and put in a new one.

#25 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@wg_mcfartypants said:

@mdk12345 said:

@wg_mcfartypants said:

In my experience, take that for what it's worth, I found that after I got the Xbox One my Xbox 360 got less use. After I later got the PS4, I pretty much stopped using my PS3. Now they're all still sitting in my entertainment center along with the amp, dish box, and next to my gaming PC... But they don't get used much, if at all.

That's more psychological than anything. After I had the Xbox One while there was (and still is, in my opinion) more and better to do on the 360. The 360 became tainted in my head as last gen... I didn't want to get anything new for the console because I either wanted it to come out on the One or it somehow seemed inferior. Same with the PS4. My PS3 right now exists only for 3D movies. I was going to get The Last Of Us, which I never played when it was new, but holding out led to better options.

It's dumb and just psychology, but once you go forward you're less inclined to want to go back.

YMMV.

Well here is the thing. I love nostalgia so why wouldn't I go back? I was playing SSX3 yesterday on my PS2 CRT Sony and also N64 and NES. But maybe after I beat the 360 exclusives I can just store my system and replace it with an X box one. I'll still keep it, but I have to store it and make room for it. Still, I want the Xbox one slimmer. It just makes my room look small, especially with all my other consoles. And the Xbox one is going to sit on a small stepping stool. Let me know if u know any other small platforms that it can sit on and look good.

#26 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@xgraderx said:

"Its too big".lol.I need a super sized entertainment shed to own one.Seriously?Its not that big,Its not much bigger than a 360.I know if I want a console a couple inches isnt going to stop me.Move the old consoles and put in a new one.

Well I have a 360 and it's pretty big... so. My PS3 60 GB is lined up vertically so it fits. Here is the thing. Is the Xbox One bigger than the 360 fat? I have a 360 fat. My PS3 slim, wii u, and ps2 slim all look smaller combined than the Xbox one. It literally is eye soaring! I'm not saying consoles have to all look super pretty, but dam! that thing is intimidating!

#27 Edited by KingJuggaNott (216 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

No Problem...
First I'll start by saying that I own BOTH Consoles and I don't consider myself a FANBOY either. BUT, I have a preference for SURE. Everyone does.

When you invest in an Xbox One, you are investing in a TRUE NEXT GEN Console. Notice I did not say GAMING Console, but that doesn't take ANYTHING away from the Xbox One when it does come to gaming. Since THIS is a gaming site, I'll start by talking about gaming and what I like about the Xbox One. First is the Community. For me, the Xbox Community is totally always connected--to me. I like that on Xbox, I got to enjoy NEW experiences right out the Gate with this new Console. I got to enjoy Ryse....and I got to experience Titanfall which is a game that is still improving and very innovative. I say that because I enjoy NEW experiences, not just re-hashes of older games. Of Course I want to play Gears, Of course our community wants Halo....but with a New Console--why not allow for new Experiences. You get to enjoy THAT on the Xbox One.

Now other than the gaming aspect I'll speak on what me and some of my friends talk about. I feel like the PS4 WILL have that huge support from GAMERS. For ME, that's because GAMERS are just that...GAMERS...they are not concerned or interested in the Innovation of the Xbox One. It's totally lost on them. My Xbox One is in the center of my living room....I couldn't imagine the use if it was going in to a cramped up room with no cable or internet. It's bigger than the PS4, but it's not like I'm carrying it around. It fits perfectly in my Entertainment Center. The Xbox One is innovative because FIRST of all, in 2014 I wouldn't want to press the input button to go from TV to Game...it's just crazy if you had to. I consume a great deal of entertainment....so NOW, with the Xbox One, I don't have to choose between if I want to game or watch TV. I can do both. I can watch Netflix AND I can game....if Someone else wanted to watch TV while I game on the Same TV...they have that option. Along with that--if anyone in my family....friends or whatever....they don't have to know how to dig into the Menus to do anything--they can just use the voice commands or hand gestures.

If I were just a GAMER...I wouldn't care about the different apps that are NOT available on the other console. I'm a huge sports fan, so I'm making use of the NFL App where I can watch NFL Network etc. I mean, this is america and NFL is the Top sport....why WOULDN'T I appreciate the NFL app. Even if YOU are not a NFL Fan, I'm sure SOMEONE that you know...or SOMEONE that is going to be on your console IS a fan. If I were just a gamer--I wouldn't care about YOUTUBE.....I'm almost always on Youtube--I'm subscribed and I have shows that I watch on Youtube....Sometimes I just let Vevo channels show videos. Do I have to choose between watching Videos and Gaming? No....I can Snap it. To ME that's innovation.

I like that I can Customize my console to my liking. This you can not do on the PS4, and that's totally nuts to me. The UI on the Xbox One isn't the greatest, but when compared to the competition...it's no comparison. I can organize my Pinned apps etc. Plus I like that I can use Smart Glass with my console. I have tablets that I've had no use for one I've upgraded...but with the Xbox One NOW I have a use for them. It's basically a remote for my Xbox One when I'm watching TV or around the house. Sometimes after work, I'll come home and after I turned on my Xbox and I'm in the bedroom, I'm starting up games with the Smart Glass...or I'm going to Netflix with Smartglass. By the time I get to my couch--Everything is up and ready to go...seamlessly. TO ME..that's innovative.

I'll end by saying, that the Xbox One hasn't been out very long--and they have already improved a great deal. I don't see that changing any time soon. With the Xbox 360--the Interface and functions were totally different at launch than what they are now. It's a wonderful console that has me totally spoiled. For ME--the other console...it's not much.....but it IS a beautiful..GAMING machine. While I feel the Xbox One does great and wonderful things IN ADDITION TO being a gaming Machine.

Sorry for the Length, just wanted to detail my opinion.

#28 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@kingjugganott said:

@mdk12345 said:

No Problem...

First I'll start by saying that I own BOTH Consoles and I don't consider myself a FANBOY either. BUT, I have a preference for SURE. Everyone does.

When you invest in an Xbox One, you are investing in a TRUE NEXT GEN Console. Notice I did not say GAMING Console, but that doesn't take ANYTHING away from the Xbox One when it does come to gaming. Since THIS is a gaming site, I'll start by talking about gaming and what I like about the Xbox One. First is the Community. For me, the Xbox Community is totally always connected--to me. I like that on Xbox, I got to enjoy NEW experiences right out the Gate with this new Console. I got to enjoy Ryse....and I got to experience Titanfall which is a game that is still improving and very innovative. I say that because I enjoy NEW experiences, not just re-hashes of older games. Of Course I want to play Gears, Of course our community wants Halo....but with a New Console--why not allow for new Experiences. You get to enjoy THAT on the Xbox One.

Now other than the gaming aspect I'll speak on what me and some of my friends talk about. I feel like the PS4 WILL have that huge support from GAMERS. For ME, that's because GAMERS are just that...GAMERS...they are not concerned or interested in the Innovation of the Xbox One. It's totally lost on them. My Xbox One is in the center of my living room....I couldn't imagine the use if it was going in to a cramped up room with no cable or internet. It's bigger than the PS4, but it's not like I'm carrying it around. It fits perfectly in my Entertainment Center. The Xbox One is innovative because FIRST of all, in 2014 I wouldn't want to press the input button to go from TV to Game...it's just crazy if you had to. I consume a great deal of entertainment....so NOW, with the Xbox One, I don't have to choose between if I want to game or watch TV. I can do both. I can watch Netflix AND I can game....if Someone else wanted to watch TV while I game on the Same TV...they have that option. Along with that--if anyone in my family....friends or whatever....they don't have to know how to dig into the Menus to do anything--they can just use the voice commands or hand gestures.

If I were just a GAMER...I wouldn't care about the different apps that are NOT available on the other console. I'm a huge sports fan, so I'm making use of the NFL App where I can watch NFL Network etc. I mean, this is america and NFL is the Top sport....why WOULDN'T I appreciate the NFL app. Even if YOU are not a NFL Fan, I'm sure SOMEONE that you know...or SOMEONE that is going to be on your console IS a fan. If I were just a gamer--I wouldn't care about YOUTUBE.....I'm almost always on Youtube--I'm subscribed and I have shows that I watch on Youtube....Sometimes I just let Vevo channels show videos. Do I have to choose between watching Videos and Gaming? No....I can Snap it. To ME that's innovation.

I like that I can Customize my console to my liking. This you can not do on the PS4, and that's totally nuts to me. The UI on the Xbox One isn't the greatest, but when compared to the competition...it's no comparison. I can organize my Pinned apps etc. Plus I like that I can use Smart Glass with my console. I have tablets that I've had no use for one I've upgraded...but with the Xbox One NOW I have a use for them. It's basically a remote for my Xbox One when I'm watching TV or around the house. Sometimes after work, I'll come home and after I turned on my Xbox and I'm in the bedroom, I'm starting up games with the Smart Glass...or I'm going to Netflix with Smartglass. By the time I get to my couch--Everything is up and ready to go...seamlessly. TO ME..that's innovative.

I'll end by saying, that the Xbox One hasn't been out very long--and they have already improved a great deal. I don't see that changing any time soon. With the Xbox 360--the Interface and functions were totally different at launch than what they are now. It's a wonderful console that has me totally spoiled. For ME--the other console...it's not much.....but it IS a beautiful..GAMING machine. While I feel the Xbox One does great and wonderful things IN ADDITION TO being a gaming Machine.

Sorry for the Length, just wanted to detail my opinion.

Thank you for the lengthy take. I can sense your passion. See I admitted that I had biased feelings for Playstation but was open to checking out the Xbox One if I could be convinced and this is the kind of response I wanted as opposed to others who say they're not responsible for what I buy. Now as far as watching sports, I do like sports and some netflix, but for me personally I can't watch and play at the same time. When I'm watching my NBA finals for instance, I'm spending 100 percent of my focus on the game. I like to play games after the sports games or on off days, or before the games. It's hard for me to do 2 things at once. Now if it was a game that wasn't that important to me, then that's something to think about. If I'm watching something that only mildly interests me, then that's a benefit to be able to do both I suppose. But that's just me. I cannot watch my team or my sport and play at the same time. Nor do I want to. I'm a passionate sports fan and video game fan, but it's hard for me to do both at the same time unless it's a game I only mildly care about.

As far as the games, my favorite for the 360 are Gears of War, Crackdown, and maybe Halo, although I'm not the biggest Halo fan, more into Gears of War type stuff. But Sunset Overdrive looks like it might be cool. So these are the reasons I'm looking into an Xbox One, for the specific exclusives.

But my main issue is size. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I play in my room. The living room is not available. And I would appreciate it if someone had some set up suggestions. Because the way mine is set up, My PS3 fits perfectly and when I get a PS4 it will fit. Because I stand them up vertically. My Wii U fits in perfectly because it's so small. If I get an Xbox One, I can't stand it up. So the best thing I can do is just put off to the side like I'm doing with my 360. If you know any kind of mini shelve that is just the right size for an Xbox one or an Xbox One and Xbox 360 (one on top of the other) let me know. Because as it is right now, I do not have any room at all for an Xbox One if I keep everything as is.

Now what do you think about something like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/lameazoid/337332911/

I'm thinking about making something like that cuz it's homemade and can fit multiple consoles, one on top of the other. But the problem is that the Xbox One may need plenty of breathing. So by looking at that picture, would the Xbox One get enough breathing room, even though it's open in the back of the set up? Or how bout a 360? would it need more breathing room then that? See that's what people fail to realize. That not only is the Xbox One huge, but you have to think about how much space it also needs for breathing. The though of it is a bit frightening. People just assume that everyone has space and that they're a bad person if they are questioning the space of the Xbox One.

How bout this pic? http://media.techeblog.com/images/gaming-tower.jpg

Does that look like a good set up? Some say it's ugly, but I'm wondering if they sell anything like this non home made. See the thing is people will just say oh yea yea you can get something like that at Ikea. But nobody can show me, they just assume that they are out there. I have constantly looked for appropriate set ups that resemble a vertical mini tower like the 2 above but have failed to find any. You would think they would sell them for gamers. I'm just AMAZED at people who don't have this problem! Well hell I'm looking at my space, and I see no room for an Xbox one.

#29 Posted by vatorus (60 posts) -

Here are a few reasons to get the Xbox One instead of the PS4:

I got a Destiny Alpha access code, redeemed it, downloaded the game, installed it and it got stuck..after an hour, I stopped the install and tried again.....STUCK...so I did the same thing, and....STUCK again. Then I tried deleting the game, downloading it again and re-install. What happened? STUCK....two more times, until FINALLY, the game actually started installing on the 3rd try (I know because the progress bar actually moved). How long has this taken? 5 FUCKING HOURS!!!

So now, I am about an hour and 15 minutes into my 6th attempt at installing the game and it's about 25% done. I call Sony to find out if this is normal and what do they tell me?? "WE apologize, but we are experiencing technical difficulties with the network, PSN is down."

I have NEVER had a problem with a game on my Xbox 360 or Xbox One. On my PS3, I could NEVER get it online, it wouldn't work. I didn't push the issue cuz I go online with my Xbox. The PS4 sucks, the network sucks and the company sucks. Do yourself a favor and get the One.

#30 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@vatorus said:

Here are a few reasons to get the Xbox One instead of the PS4:

I got a Destiny Alpha access code, redeemed it, downloaded the game, installed it and it got stuck..after an hour, I stopped the install and tried again.....STUCK...so I did the same thing, and....STUCK again. Then I tried deleting the game, downloading it again and re-install. What happened? STUCK....two more times, until FINALLY, the game actually started installing on the 3rd try (I know because the progress bar actually moved). How long has this taken? 5 FUCKING HOURS!!!

So now, I am about an hour and 15 minutes into my 6th attempt at installing the game and it's about 25% done. I call Sony to find out if this is normal and what do they tell me?? "WE apologize, but we are experiencing technical difficulties with the network, PSN is down."

I have NEVER had a problem with a game on my Xbox 360 or Xbox One. On my PS3, I could NEVER get it online, it wouldn't work. I didn't push the issue cuz I go online with my Xbox. The PS4 sucks, the network sucks and the company sucks. Do yourself a favor and get the One.

Here is the thing. You are not going to stop me from getting a PS4 because I want to play Infamous 2nd Son, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc.. So let's throw that out the window. I'm not interested in online play though. I am thinking about the Xbox one, but as in my post above, I need to figure out the space issue.

#31 Edited by Sneewittchen (25 posts) -

I could ask the same question about PS4. However its really only you who can decide. One thing I can say, if you buy an Xbox one just for Destiny, you very well might be disappointed. Just as disappointed as I was when I saw the presentation at E3 yesterday. I'll still give it a play through, but based on what I saw, I am in no rush.

I know you said you don't online game, and thats absolutely fine, but one perk with Xbox is we tend to get our DLC before the PS4 folks. As long as you at least connect to the internet you will be able to get the new content. That is a big draw for me. I don't really think its fair to those who own only a ps4, but that is the current reality.

#32 Edited by KingJuggaNott (216 posts) -

@mdk12345: While I do agree that Having BOTH is a luxury, and you'll obviously be able to play ALL of the exclusive games that way. I feel like if you DO get a Xbox One and you're going to have it in a small space that would be difficult to have the Kinect and all that in a comfortable space. You might as well get the $399.00 console without the Kinect. I feel like a great deal would be lost when it comes to value when you have an Xbox One minus the Kinect, internet, and Cable. On the Bright side, if you DID get the $499.00 Version, you would have an option to hook it up in the way it was meant to "in the future"...it would be a great investment. IF you planned on having it hooked up to cable and the internet etc.

If NOT....I would say PS4 all the way. I have a couple of homies that have PS4's and that's how they are rocking. Strictly gaming. No internet, and no cable so they prefer the Playstation 4. I read this site often, and I can totally see how someone who is a Hardcore Gamer would prefer the PS4--and it's not just because of the Quality (1080p etc), it would be because they are not too interested in much else.

It DOES grind my gears when someone downplays the entertainment value as a whole of the Xbox One though. My opinion, for Gamers to look at the Xbox One and say "I'd rather a system that ONLY plays games". It's beyond odd to me. That's like, if you were buying a phone and I told you ONE PHONE you can only make calls.....and the other phone has internet and a bunch of great features IN ADDITION TO making calls. Which one would you say is better? If you can get both--that's a great luxury, but If I had to only have one--it would be a Xbox One. Without a shadow of a doubt. For me--Playstation 4 is BARE BONES.

#33 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

For someone that only can play in their room, where do you put it? As stated above, absolutely no room. It's slightly too big. MS should have took that into consideration.

#34 Edited by KingJuggaNott (216 posts) -

To tell you the truth, I'm actually pleased that they made it that big and sturdy. Because it makes for room--let it breath....I feel if it was compact it might overheat. It has a great deal going on under that hood. Let it breath. I'm okay with the size.

#35 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Nice set up, do you know any vertical media stands? I need one that's narrower

#36 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Alright I have made my decision as far as the console and the spacing. I may change it, but right now I'm pretty sure on my decision. I have gave it thought. What I'm going to do is customize my own shelving. Like this guy did in this photo http://media.techeblog.com/images/gaming-tower

except for the fact mine may be a little shorter. But this is ideal for me. The Ikea shelving is too big for me and won't give me enough room between my center and door frame. I've measure it out and I can squeeze this out in by a few inches if I just customize my gaming center. This is great. I'll have my Cable box, PS4, 360, and Xbox One all in one center. And in my other shelf I have a PS3 and Wii U.

So that's what I'm going to do. No better way than to make my own gaming center that fits my needs. I can make it as big or as small as I want and can design it in any way I want.

So yes. I plan on getting an Xbox One. Now here is the truth. I won't be getting it for a while. I'm going to get a PS4 first and please don't be offended by that. But right now I want to play Infamous 2nd Son, Last of Us when it comes, Uncharted and Resogun. For the Xbox One I am not buying it for multi player. I am not buying it for Kinect. I am not even buying it for multi plat games. I am buying the Xbox One specifically for exclusives. I think I'm going to like Sunset OD. I'm excited for Gears of War 4 and Crackdown. I'll also check out the Halo Edition and Halo 5, even though I'm more of a Gears of War guy. But the thing is that a lot of these games won't be out for a while. So right now I don't think any of these games are out. That's why I'll put Xbox one on the backburner, but when time comes, I'll have to look into buying the thing. And I complained about it's size. Well, that's why I'm going to have to do my diligence and customize my own gaming cabinet. I love Sony, but I also love MS exclusives. So yes I'm getting both and I have the Wii U.

#37 Posted by Gum_Bercules (8466 posts) -

I would honestly say unless you're very interested in Halo, I would not get an Xbox One at this point. It's up to you and how interested in the exclusives you are.

#38 Posted by brimmul777 (1808 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

You sound like a woman with a serious case of PMS.All you do is make excuses for every little thing.Stop your hemeroid bitchin.It's up to YOU if your gonna buy a console or not,it's not everybody elses choice.

#39 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Gum_Bercules said:

I would honestly say unless you're very interested in Halo, I would not get an Xbox One at this point. It's up to you and how interested in the exclusives you are.

It's not about Halo, it's about Sunset, Crackdown, and Gears. And a little Halo too.

#40 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

@mdk12345 said:

You sound like a woman with a serious case of PMS.All you do is make excuses for every little thing.Stop your hemeroid bitchin.It's up to YOU if your gonna buy a console or not,it's not everybody elses choice.

Relax. I said that I'm interested in getting it later.

#41 Posted by KingJuggaNott (216 posts) -

@mdk12345: Naah, I haven't seen any setups that can go in a narrow spot.

#42 Posted by cainetao11 (20822 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Convince yourself !

We're not your advisors and you're not the queen of england.

As for me.... I'm not getting an Xbox one because I'm not American..... :p haha

LOL that was good.

I am a big Halo and Fable fan. Love gears, am interested in QB and most of all I wanted to play DR3 more than any other launch game from either MS or Sony. And I am American so there is that.

As for convincing TC, dude if you want the console buy it. If you need to be convinced, you don't want it.

#43 Posted by juboner (700 posts) -

@mdk12345: You need an A/V rack , something like this but cheaper of course http://www.amazon.com/BUSH-FURNITURE-Segments-Audio-Tower/dp/B000W8JK42/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1402857698&sr=8-63&keywords=av+rack

#44 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@juboner: yea I have looked at AV racks. Only problem is that for my space most seem pretty big. I think they are real big, I'm looking for about 18-20 inches in length and these AV racks are also long from front to back. Now I have a question junoner. You see that custom built shelving unit I showed? My question is how much breathing room does each console need on each side? Left right front back and up and down. Is his set up ok for getting enough air? How much breathing room do Xbox 360, Xbox 1and ps4 need? Now I don't have next gen but am planning on how to buildy set up. Unless I can find an av rack perfect size

#45 Posted by juboner (700 posts) -

@mdk12345: Yeah that guys setup has plenty of breathing room, he even lifted the consoles off the bottom with 2 strips of wood which is unnecessary. His rack looks same size or bigger than some I have seen on amazon. It matters where the vents are some entertainment centers are about 18 inches width which is just enough for blu-ray players and amplifiers. Most consoles are not as wide as amps and dvd players so usually its fine.

#46 Edited by juboner (700 posts) -

@mdk12345: Yeah that guys setup has plenty of breathing room, he even lifted the consoles off the bottom with 2 strips of wood which is unnecessary. His rack looks same size or bigger than some I have seen on amazon. It matters where the vents are some entertainment centers are about 18 inches width which is just enough for blu-ray players and amplifiers. Most consoles are not as wide as amps and dvd players so usually its fine.

That sams club entertainment center is a little iffy I would like a little more breathing room. But I doubt u would have a problem. I have an amplifier with vents on top that is 4.5 inches away from the shelve on top of it and it is fine, there is no space hardly on the sides of it but there are no vents there.

This one looks smaller http://www.amazon.com/Poundex-Techno-F4497-TV-Component/dp/B00775NWCY/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1402883792&sr=8-53&keywords=av+rack

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-AS3S-Electronic-Component-Management/dp/B002MYBQUA/ref=sr_1_193?ie=UTF8&qid=1402883928&sr=8-193&keywords=av+rack

This one is cheap but it only has 3 shelves, if u could find one like this with more shelves it would be perfect. http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Pros-Mounted-Component-Receiver/dp/B00BG0YDHO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_40?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TECMNV7976SV3WDH9JV

#47 Posted by Ovirew (6923 posts) -

@mdk12345: I could name off a few more games that are exclusive to xbox consoles. I don't know if it'll persuade you to give the One a shot, but it should give you some more ideas of Microsoft exclusives.

Toy Soldiers and its sequel were two of the best Arcade games I played over the years. It was a tactical tower-defense series where you placed different army toys onto pedestals to halt oncoming toy troops, and you could also dive in and control one of your units to give yourself a better edge. Microsoft would be crazy not to have Signal Studios make a new entry on the One.

Iron Brigade, or Trenched, was another fantastic tower-defense Arcade game developed by Double-Fine, which had players customizing their own mech and outfitting it with various types of weapons, and then protecting a base with other players while fending off robotic creatures. Double-Fine is making good on a sequel to Costume Quest, here's to hoping they do the same for Iron Brigade.

Ninety-Nine Nights also had something of a cult following, with generally a much better story than the Dynasty Warriors games, and some decent gameplay. It's unclear if there will ever be a third game, but a lot could potentially be done with newer tech, if Microsoft really wanted to compete with Koei.

There have been other hit exclusives, but I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to hope for a sequel to any of these games this gen. And at any rate, Project Spark seems kind of ambitious for people who want to make their own games.

#48 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@juboner: Juboner these are some good ideas. Last one looks good. Not sure why it's hard to find one with more shelves. Hmm, 3 might do for a long time though, for me.

#49 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

if Bloodborne was coming to Xbox One.. i would be considering buying one..

#50 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2758 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

Well the biggest question you have to ask yourself is does the X1 have games that are exclusive to it that you want to play? Multi-plats are multi-plats no matter what the fanboys say. The difference between 900p and 1080p is really negligible. Saying that, the XBOX ONE is absolutely capable of 1080p gaming and will show it as much as the devs wish it to.

Don't buy things because of what someone else says. Do some research on your own and make your decision from that!