Conversion to HDMI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadowspy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shadowspy45
Member since 2007 • 248 Posts

i may be receiving my brother-in-law's original launch xbox that doesn't have an hdmi port and i was wondering if there is some cable or something i can buy so it outputs video in hd?

antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 antics101
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

best bet for you is a rgb component cable. if you have extra cash laying around trade it in for the new xboxs/elite for the hdmi. The difference is HUGE on component vs hdmi

shadowspy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shadowspy45
Member since 2007 • 248 Posts

i would, but it would just feel wrong, seeing as its his gift to me...

Shadow_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Shadow_Dog
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

Use VGA. If you're going to play it on a television, there is really no point in using HDMI.

GarrettDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GarrettDS
Member since 2004 • 1561 Posts

best bet for you is a rgb component cable. if you have extra cash laying around trade it in for the new xboxs/elite for the hdmi. The difference is HUGE on component vs hdmi

antics101

i wouldn't say a huge difference between component and HDMI. they're both HD so the diference is small. but component does have a "HUGE" difference between the AV cables (yellow one).

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

i may be receiving my brother-in-law's original launch xbox that doesn't have an hdmi port and i was wondering if there is some cable or something i can buy so it outputs video in hd?

shadowspy45
dont bother dude ... a VGA cable or a component cable are just as good, the only real benefit of a HDMI is the video and digital audio are transmitted down one cable rather than several and I dont think the HDMI would ahve that luxury if its signal is from a convertor That aside the component and VGA are HD
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowspy45"]

penpusher

dont bother dude ... a VGA cable or a component cable are just as good, the only real benefit of a HDMI is the video and digital audio are transmitted down one cable rather than several and I dont think the HDMI would ahve that luxury if its signal is from a convertor That aside the component and VGA are HD

well not just the fact thats it one cord but also that its a full digital signal which translates to better picture quality. VGA looks just as good imo but component does not. If you can def get VGA.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

antics101
lol its not that huge seeing as (depending on the TV) both HDMI and component cables can output 1080p
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 penpusher

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="shadowspy45"]

Gen007

well not just the fact thats it one cord but also that its a full digital signal which translates to better picture quality. VGA looks just as good imo but component does not. If you can def get VGA.

true but to be honest I dont think it really makes any difference, you dont generally notice if its HDMI or component plus VGA is essentially the same analouge signal as component

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="GarrettDS"]

[QUOTE="antics101"]

i wouldn't say a huge difference between component and HDMI. they're both HD so the diference is small. but component does have a "HUGE" difference between the AV cables (yellow one).

Yeah I agree. BUt any digital signal will have almost no loss, whereas VGA or Component will have some data that doesn't make it through. Digital is always better, but I agree all 3 are better than RCA (yellow) composite.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 penpusher
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="GarrettDS"]

[QUOTE="antics101"]

Yeah I agree. BUt any digital signal will have almost no loss, whereas VGA or Component will have some data that doesn't make it through. Digital is always better, but I agree all 3 are better than RCA (yellow) composite.

not on a normal legnth cable...this stuff doesnt happen until you start getting to room spanning cables dude. What youre thinking of is the quality due to the type of signal but that said the difference is largely unnoticeable (at least on most mid range tvs)