This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Hey all.

Over the past couple years I heard about mmo games coming to consoles but by now I havent really seen a good one yet. I also dont know if most are rumors like age of conan is supposedly to come to console etc. So I was wondering what are your thoughts and do you have any information about upcoming mmo games? I would love to see TERA come to console since i read anyway that you can play it with controller via computer. MAG is ok but only for casual gaming *or atleast for me when i play ps3*..

I know that mmo's are a thing about costs aswell if you have to pay anually for live and pay monthly again for a game but just write your thoughts =)

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#2 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
he only reason I wouldn't play them is because I'd have to play for gold AND pay the monthly cost. I don't care how good the game is, I'm not buying it for $60 and then paying $10-$20 a month to keep playing it. And of course, the cost of a gold membership. Why would I wanna pay around $100 to play a game for ONE MONTH?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I would love for MMOs to come to the xbox 360. I think the upcoming Final Fantasy Online game will eventually.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

he only reason I wouldn't play them is because I'd have to play for gold AND pay the monthly cost. I don't care how good the game is, I'm not buying it for $60 and then paying $10-$20 a month to keep playing it. And of course, the cost of a gold membership. Why would I wanna pay around $100 to play a game for ONE MONTH?orb_03_2006
Actually, your paying for gold to play OTHER Xbox 360 games online. So far, both FFXI and Phantasy Star Universe which both have monthly fees only need a silver account to play, which if I am right, cost next to nothing besides the game's fee.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#5 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]he only reason I wouldn't play them is because I'd have to play for gold AND pay the monthly cost. I don't care how good the game is, I'm not buying it for $60 and then paying $10-$20 a month to keep playing it. And of course, the cost of a gold membership. Why would I wanna pay around $100 to play a game for ONE MONTH?Aslyum_Beast

Actually, your paying for gold to play OTHER Xbox 360 games online. So far, both FFXI and Phantasy Star Universe which both have monthly fees only need a silver account to play, which if I am right, cost next to nothing besides the game's fee.

Ah, okay. It was never set straight to me. Thank you.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Hey all.

Over the past couple years I heard about mmo games coming to consoles but by now I havent really seen a good one yet. I also dont know if most are rumors like age of conan is supposedly to come to console etc. So I was wondering what are your thoughts and do you have any information about upcoming mmo games? I would love to see TERA come to console since i read anyway that you can play it with controller via computer. MAG is ok but only for casual gaming *or atleast for me when i play ps3*..

I know that mmo's are a thing about costs aswell if you have to pay anually for live and pay monthly again for a game but just write your thoughts =)

Serentor

to be honest its not just cost thats the issue with MMO's on consoles. The main problem is that most of the audience for MMO's are on the pc and not to mention consoles are a bit more restrictive. Yeah sure the 360 and ps3 and even the wii are perfectly capable of supporting one but when ones on 360 there are certain restrictive issues associated with the consoles online services being run by someone else (MS in this case) ... its just easier to make em on pc

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serentor

[QUOTE="Serentor"]

Hey all.

penpusher

to be honest its not just cost thats the issue with MMO's on consoles. The main problem is that most of the audience for MMO's are on the pc and not to mention consoles are a bit more restrictive. Yeah sure the 360 and ps3 and even the wii are perfectly capable of supporting one but when ones on 360 there are certain restrictive issues associated with the consoles online services being run by someone else (MS in this case) ... its just easier to make em on pc

Thats true, but they are gonna release games like APB for console and stuff too which are also mmo's. Its definitly more popular and easier to make for PC gamers, i played mmo's for 4 years straight too, but i would love to see atleast one thats good come to console. APB doesnt interest me in the slightest because its gangster style and i dont like that setting, thats why i hardly play gta anymore, they used to be about mafia and now gangsters =/ and if i want that setting, i play gta online multiplayer. I also was really excited when borderlands released, its a good start with so many different loot and stuff, but the limitation to 4 players and that everything is instanced sort of disapointed me. @Aslyum_Beast really? i didnt know that at all! thats really interesting and it would be a great thing for people who cant afford gold too.
Smileyvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Smileyvirus
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts
I highly doubt you'll see an MMO on the 360 now, and here's why> 1 - The 360 is getting too old - MMO devs will want to set up an MMO early on in a console's life to max their profit from it. 2 - Machine restrictions - The 360 has very low RAM compared to a PC and while it could run graphically simple games like FF11 and PSO, I think it would struggle with anything modern that has a much higher polygon count and uses more RAM. Plus MMO's are getting more and more complex.... 3 - Player bias - If you were to create a 360 only MMO it would have a very small audience (and therefore low profit margin). If you were to create a PC/360 crossover MMO you would have to build it from the ground up to run on a 360. This would have to mean simplified controls - something PC fanboys will immediately stick their noses up at, so you're back to just 360 owners using it. The next generation of consoles may be able to get something going, but for now unfortunately I think if you want MMO's, you'll have to go PC.
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serentor

getting too old? 2015 is supposedly to be the date of the next gen consoles, right? thats what heard i heard pretty much, then it would also mean they wouldnt release games on the ps3 either but it still gets final fantasy 14 right? so i doubt thats the case. plus there would still be the fact that many people cant afford a computer as powerfull for this gen games which makes a console even more of a better option. i dont know but thats just what i would think of it. but good points there. ofc. im probably wrong too.

this website http://games.teamxbox.com/index/xbox-360/by-genre/26/ has a list of upcoming mmo's for the 360, i have no clue when they would be announced, maybe they are just rumors but i doubt it. =/

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I only know about FF14 and DC Online coming out on the PS3. Also The Agency but I don't know how that game is going to work.
he only reason I wouldn't play them is because I'd have to play for gold AND pay the monthly cost. I don't care how good the game is, I'm not buying it for $60 and then paying $10-$20 a month to keep playing it. And of course, the cost of a gold membership. Why would I wanna pay around $100 to play a game for ONE MONTH?orb_03_2006
The money Microsoft gets from Gold does not help fund the developers of MMOs while they patch and add new content for a game, the two fees have nothing to do with each other. You still have the pay even $15 a month (or less if you get the three month or year deals) if it is on the PC. How are you getting those prices? You pay for a year of Xbox Live and they almost always have deals going where you can get it for about $40 a year, an MMO is $15 for one month and usually $30 for three months. How does that equal around $100 for one month?
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
[QUOTE="Smileyvirus"]I highly doubt you'll see an MMO on the 360 now, and here's why> 1 - The 360 is getting too old - MMO devs will want to set up an MMO early on in a console's life to max their profit from it. 2 - Machine restrictions - The 360 has very low RAM compared to a PC and while it could run graphically simple games like FF11 and PSO, I think it would struggle with anything modern that has a much higher polygon count and uses more RAM. Plus MMO's are getting more and more complex.... 3 - Player bias - If you were to create a 360 only MMO it would have a very small audience (and therefore low profit margin). If you were to create a PC/360 crossover MMO you would have to build it from the ground up to run on a 360. This would have to mean simplified controls - something PC fanboys will immediately stick their noses up at, so you're back to just 360 owners using it. The next generation of consoles may be able to get something going, but for now unfortunately I think if you want MMO's, you'll have to go PC.

i think youre getting a bit confused about the use of ram .. it is not ram that is responsible for a consoles graphics ability. Its a combination of primarily the videocard (though the vid card is low ram by todays standards) and the cpu but they rarely mean that the console cant handle high end graphics. It may not be able to manage what some pcs are capable of but the system memory certainly doesnt have that major an impact ...
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serentor
@ Legolas_Katarn wow dude ur the first one i saw that has over 100k gamerscore points and you got 123 ffs lol. and rofl @ orb for that XD
kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#13 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts

isnt Phantasy Star Universe a partial MMO?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Serentor"]@ Legolas_Katarn wow dude ur the first one i saw that has over 100k gamerscore points and you got 123 ffs lol. and rofl @ orb for that XD

The guy below your post is over 172,000.
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serentor
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="Serentor"]@ Legolas_Katarn wow dude ur the first one i saw that has over 100k gamerscore points and you got 123 ffs lol. and rofl @ orb for that XD

The guy below your post is over 172,000.

Lol dang. i didnt know cuz i only saw ur tag thing on as signature, like mine u no? @NeoNinja12 that looks really cool! i hope they bring it out soon, i love the idea of fpsmmo since borderlands came out with all those weapon loots. i also heard that final fantasy xiv or 14, i dont know roman numbers well lol, will be released on xbox too, just on a later date. dunno if its jst a rumor tho, i mean it would make sence since its released on pc and microsoft is both lol. @ kingrich06 yea i think it is an mmo, i cant get it here in switzerland anymore though which sucks, or i wouldve bought it already =)
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I think most MMOs would be a disaster on a console. The console can only do so much, and plus what the hell would you do for the controls? There is so much crap you have to do in MMOs. Half the time the 360 can barely keep a normal game running smooth online.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I think most MMOs would be a disaster on a console. The console can only do so much, and plus what the hell would you do for the controls? There is so much crap you have to do in MMOs. Half the time the 360 can barely keep a normal game running smooth online.

SilentSoprano

For controls FFXI allowed you to use a keyboard for chat as well as movement and macros etc. so other games could just do that. Also most MMO's don't exactly take a lot to run and most of the "normal games" don't have dedicated servers.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serentor

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

Darkslayer16

For controls FFXI allowed you to use a keyboard for chat as well as movement and macros etc. so other games could just do that. Also most MMO's don't exactly take a lot to run and most of the "normal games" don't have dedicated servers.

exactly, plus dragon age origins also has a good system where you can flick through lists of spells and stuff. same with fable 1 where you could use all the spells that way. i thought about it too but thats the most logic way to do that.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I've played a few on pc (wow for 2 months,myth of soma,cabal online ect) but i can never play the same game for months on end just level-ing up or getting gold,really doesn't appeal to me.FFXIV looks very nice graphically since the new beta but if they made a action oriented mmo then maybe i would be more interested