Can someone tell me exactly what the "Three Red Lights" are?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GanonBuRAP
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

I want to get a 360 now but people are telling me to wait until the new 65nm 360 is out so that the hardware issues will be fixed with a possible price drop. But that's said to come outlate novemberand that's WAY too late imo to pick up a 360. Too much to catch up on! By the end of november there will be Gears, Oblivion, Crackdown, Naruto Rise of a Ninja, Assassin's Creed, MAss Effect, BioshockLego StarWars the Complete Saga, and I'll have to prepare for stuff like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy Fable 2 and more.

So my question is what exactly is the 3 rings of death and how does it happen? Is it 100% random or is there a way to prevent or what?

Is it silly to get a 360 now when the hardware faults will be fixed in a few months? Do ihave to wait? What should i do?

Any answers or help would be great.

EDIT:: Does the 3 year warranty that MS announced cover ANY defect by means of misaps (dropping the 360 or something) or does it have to be the dreaded 3 red lights of death lol.

birdcrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 birdcrap
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
the warning sign telling you your 360 is dead XP... it can be prevented by well air circulation to cool the 360 down... or sometimes its just the 360's fault...
adaon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 adaon1
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts
The 3 red rings of death are caused by overheating. The GPU melts away from the motherboard, causing the lights to blink, indicating hardware failure. Get a 360 now, but get the extended warranty from the store that you buy it from. If your console breaks down, they will exchange it for a brand new system on the spot. So if your 360fails, you can get the new console with the 65 nanometerchip.
gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts
it happends right before satan comes out of the 360
broke812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 broke812
Member since 2003 • 970 Posts
i'm pretty sure its random cuz it happened to mine and mine was well ventilated.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
3 red lights is the 360s way of telling you hardware faliure or its broke. no it cant really be prevented and is random because its mostly caused by heat. if you really want one now it should be that bad since there is a 3 year warrenty
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GanonBuRAP

f*** if it wasn't for the 360 blowing up across the nation i could be playing gears right now lol. Ok 2 more questions::

The 3 yr warrenty should be free; is it free? OR do you actually have to pay extra. Ontop of the 400+tax for the 360, an extra lump of cash for 3 years of ensured replacement?

Will they replace my 360 for any defect? Or is replacement strictly based on total hardware failure. What if some random guy like stepped on my 360 and messed it up externally, will the 3 yr warranty replace it? Or do i have to PAY for repairs?

Alpha172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Alpha172
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
I have the problem as well, there's quite a few reasons that cause it but for me it happenned when my house got blacked out. Found out after the power was back on. The main meaning of the three flashing red lights is that your console is almost dead. Best way to fix it is NOT to fold it with a towel or like the guy said above, cooling it which doesn't make a difference, well much of a difference. Just send it to microsoft, long wait but they'll eventually fix it, I guess...
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

f*** if it wasn't for the 360 blowing up across the nation i could be playing gears right now lol. Ok 2 more questions::

The 3 yr warrenty should be free; is it free? OR do you actually have to pay extra. Ontop of the 400+tax for the 360, an extra lump of cash for 3 years of ensured replacement?

Will they replace my 360 for any defect? Or is replacement strictly based on total hardware failure. What if some random guy like stepped on my 360 and messed it up externally, will the 3 yr warranty replace it? Or do i have to PAY for repairs?

GanonBuRAP

the warrenty is free but you can still buy a 2 year warrenty from microsoft and they will replace the 360 if it breaks and you dont break it oh and dont ever open it up because that voids the warrenty

sk8terdude24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sk8terdude24
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
actually if the red lights go on do not touch it do not do anything!xbox jsut anonced there is a special 3 year warranty jsut for the 3 lights of death so dont do anything the towel thing can work but it may screw it up in the long run so just send it to microsoft n they will repalce it or repair it
I have the problem as well, there's quite a few reasons that cause it but for me it happenned when my house got blacked out. Found out after the power was back on. The main meaning of the three flashing red lights is that your console is almost dead. Best way to fix it is NOT to fold it with a towel or like the guy said above, cooling it which doesn't make a difference, well much of a difference. Just send it to microsoft, long wait but they'll eventually fix it, I guess...Alpha172
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GanonBuRAP
One last question edited in :P
darkchaostitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darkchaostitan
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts
It means that your 360 has gone straight to hell,and has very little chance of coming back.:twisted: Mostly becase of some serious glitches that haven't been fixed in the core version of the 360 and the fact that Microsoft pretty much sucks at its warrenties. They have extended them and other such, but it still won't stop the glitches any.
inspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inspectre
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

GanonBuRAP

The 3 year warrany ONLY covers the 3 light general hardware failure. Any other defects are covered under the regular warranty. It seems many people don't realize this and are suprised when they call Microsoft and it's $100 to get the console repaired.