Can I use play my xbox on my laptop via HDMI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Comic_Capers (1597 posts) -

I am off to university this weekend and plan to bring my xbox with me. However, space in my room will be limited and as I am bringing my laptop with me too, it seems to make more sense to play my Xbox through my laptop monitor via the HDMI port rather than paying £150+ for a small monitor.

Is it possible to do this?

#2 Posted by metalmaggot46 (755 posts) -

If you mean pipe the cords through the 360 to get yur laptop onto your tv, then no.

You need to buy a $70 adapter, sorry.

If you mean play 360 on your laptop screen, well, you're out of luck, you need to buy a $70 adapter.

I know technology sometimes really sucks

#3 Posted by Comic_Capers (1597 posts) -

If you mean pipe the cords through the 360 to get yur laptop onto your tv, then no.

You need to buy a $70 adapter, sorry.

If you mean play 360 on your laptop screen, well, you're out of luck, you need to buy a $70 adapter.

I know technology sometimes really sucks

metalmaggot46

You're kidding?! What adapter do I need?

#4 Posted by Itchynail (32 posts) -
Sorry to burst your bubble on that one, but there is in fact NO ADAPTER that will let you use the HDMI port on a laptop for HDMI IN.. which means that you cannot play your xbox in HD on your laptop.. as far as any other method of using a laptop for a monitor is concerned, im uncertain.. but trust me after hours of forum trolling and a phone call to tech support, i assure you this is not possible.
#5 Posted by Comic_Capers (1597 posts) -
Sorry to burst your bubble on that one, but there is in fact NO ADAPTER that will let you use the HDMI port on a laptop for HDMI IN.. which means that you cannot play your xbox in HD on your laptop.. as far as any other method of using a laptop for a monitor is concerned, im uncertain.. but trust me after hours of forum trolling and a phone call to tech support, i assure you this is not possible.Itchynail
God damn it! I wish I'd know this earlier, this is going to be a problem!
#6 Posted by metalmaggot46 (755 posts) -

I'm not 100% sure about hdmi, but the component cable isn't actually a cable. It's a full converter box., I believe this is what yo u need, I doesn't look like it supports hdmi though.

I would first try stuffing a direct hdmi connection form the xbox to your laptop. If that doesn't work, well, you're out of luck.

#7 Posted by Itchynail (32 posts) -
[QUOTE="Itchynail"]Sorry to burst your bubble on that one, but there is in fact NO ADAPTER that will let you use the HDMI port on a laptop for HDMI IN.. which means that you cannot play your xbox in HD on your laptop.. as far as any other method of using a laptop for a monitor is concerned, im uncertain.. but trust me after hours of forum trolling and a phone call to tech support, i assure you this is not possible.Comic_Capers
God damn it! I wish I'd know this earlier, this is going to be a problem!

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. although it is still possible to use the laptop moniter as input if you have a Video in or an S-video slot on the laptop, then with the right adapter it is possible.. unfortunately no HD capabilities on that :( and im not sure on what adapter or pricing.. best bet is to splurge and purchase a small t.v. if you have the extra cash.. save yourself the trouble.