can i trust gamespots review scores?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RaptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RaptimusPrime
Member since 2008 • 452 Posts
can i trust them to buy a game? like if i see a 9.0 and higher should that boost my confidence in buying a game, is a score like 6.0 suck? aight peace
Mearik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Mearik
Member since 2008 • 322 Posts

its opinion, but the reason i use gamespot is they have video reviews and i can see what they are talking about. As for how you can trust them they are as good as anyone else, its opinion, use it as a guideline but yes 6.0 is bad probably due to technical problems. anything 7 or higher i say is up to your own discresion.

hope it helps

*edit - as for 9.0's they usually are quite popular game but still your taste will come into play like COD4 is a great game and made well but i dont like it all that much. im on the halo side but thats just me i like unrealistic stuff but a tactical shooter you cant get any better.....well until RB6 Vegas-2...we will have to see

akatsuki0wn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 akatsuki0wn3d
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
Well, in all honesty no. You cannot trust their numerical score and you wouldn't be the brightest person in the world to do so. Every since the Kane and Lynch review and the confirmation that Gamespot DOES take money for higher review scores, there is no reason to take the reviews seriously. I stopped after the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal and I find it funny that 1/2 of gamespot's staff bailed.
wetspot96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wetspot96
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
i don't think gamespot does reviews anymore...all these games out recently and barely any of them reviewed weeks and days after released.
Mearik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mearik
Member since 2008 • 322 Posts

Well, in all honesty no. You cannot trust their numerical score and you wouldn't be the brightest person in the world to do so. Every since the Kane and Lynch review and the confirmation that Gamespot DOES take money for higher review scores, there is no reason to take the reviews seriously. I stopped after the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal and I find it funny that 1/2 of gamespot's staff bailed. akatsuki0wn3d

do you have proof? if so can you link it. its a strog accusation for a rumor, im suprised i havent heard more of this. from what you said it sounds like the whole Payola thing from back when they paid radio stations to push records above others, and that is now illegal. Im not saying yur wrong id just like to see some proof before you bash this site which i trust to a degree and find it better than most.

childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts

[QUOTE="akatsuki0wn3d"]Well, in all honesty no. You cannot trust their numerical score and you wouldn't be the brightest person in the world to do so. Every since the Kane and Lynch review and the confirmation that Gamespot DOES take money for higher review scores, there is no reason to take the reviews seriously. I stopped after the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal and I find it funny that 1/2 of gamespot's staff bailed. Mearik

do you have proof? if so can you link it. its a strog accusation for a rumor, im suprised i havent heard more of this. from what you said it sounds like the whole Payola thing from back when they paid radio stations to push records above others, and that is now illegal. Im not saying yur wrong id just like to see some proof before you bash this site which i trust to a degree and find it better than most.

Amen Mearik, Game SPot is a solid site and they generally review much harder than the rest of the game sites out there, I trust them with pretty much all of their reviews, personally I think their pretty dead on.

green_obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 green_obsidian
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts
Reviews are so subjective you'd be silly to just trust any reviewer, the best thing to would be to find a reviewer with similar tastes to yours (try finding a review of a couple of games you played and loved and find a reviwer who agrees with you) that way at least you are getting an opinion that might be similar to yours
akatsuki0wn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 akatsuki0wn3d
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gamespot-Executive-Editor-Fired-for-Bad-Kane-Lynch-Review-72528.shtml
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
All of the good reviewers left after Jeff (and greg left before him) so I would say no. Just watch gameplay footage to see if a game interest you, download a demo or rent games.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gamespot-Executive-Editor-Fired-for-Bad-Kane-Lynch-Review-72528.shtmlakatsuki0wn3d

Link for the lazy :)

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
Yes you can trust their reviews, but you also have to remember that it is their opinion, and you make like certain genres alot better then the reviewer. They definately are never far off the mark though.
p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
the only good reviewer left in my opinion is kevin van ord
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
In my humble opinion. The only good reviewer is you. You have your own tastes in game. What I may deem as a 9.0 game, you may say is a 7.0. For example, I thought Lost Odyssey should have recieved a 9.5 score, but Gamespot thinks otherwise. I stopped watching and reading reviews a few months back. Another example, everyone loved the Orange Box, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, I hated those games. Yes, you read right. You cant go by what other people tell you. If I say jump, will you jump? Probably not, unless you're a fool.
Wula_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Wula_
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

For me what I do to figure out how I will like a game is a tiny bit complex but works.

First I look at the gamespot score and then the user average score and work out a middle point between the two scores since that is how I usually view the game myself. I then delvoped a simple chart for myself

1-6 is terrible and avoid if possible.

6.5-7.5 is average and enjoyable for me enough to play through

8-9 Games I really enjoy

9-10 Are usually the games I call a gem in my collection

Though at times I will disagree against scores both Gamespot and users post but that usually happens with 1 out of every 45-65 game purchases so it doesn't effect me to much. So the best way is to lookf at your collection and see what others think about the games you love by looking at reviews and work out a rating chart for yourself like I did for myself.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

For me what I do to figure out how I will like a game is a tiny bit complex but works.

First I look at the gamespot score and then the user average score and work out a middle point between the two scores since that is how I usually view the game myself. I then delvoped a simple chart for myself

1-6 is terrible and avoid if possible.

6.5-7.5 is average and enjoyable for me enough to play through

8-9 Games I really enjoy

9-10 Are usually the games I call a gem in my collection

Though at times I will disagree against scores both Gamespot and users post but that usually happens with 1 out of every 45-65 game purchases so it doesn't effect me to much. So the best way is to lookf at your collection and see what others think about the games you love by looking at reviews and work out a rating chart for yourself like I did for myself.

Wula_

I agree. My standards are pretty high. 1-7 garbage. 7.5-8 Average. 8.5-8.9 Good, worth a look or a buy. 9.0-10 - must own, great.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Yes, you can trust the reviews of Gamespot, although they sometimes mess up . That's why I compare Gamespot to IGN and see what the average score is around the globe .

In the end, Gamespot isn't that bad, but if you want to really read the correct reviews, check my reviews !!:)

Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts
when buying a game i look at the reveiw of it for GS but usually i look at player reviewes then videos and information on the game then i will decide if i would like it or not before purchasing the game.
halobeatdown77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 halobeatdown77
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
yes. you can trust GS. They do have very high standards when rating, so a game with a six might still be worth playing.