Can I stream media from my PC to 360? They're on the same router.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mynameisdigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mynameisdigo
Member since 2006 • 465 Posts

I want to stream media from my PC to the 360. Is that possible?

If so, what formats does the 360 take? I primarily want to stream Divx movies, I don't think the 360 will eat that, will it?

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Yes you can. Head over to www.xbox.com/pcsetup and follow the links there.

From memory you need Windows Media Player 11 and something that works with Zune (Creative player?) and then your 360 should be able to see files on your PC.

It can definitely see WMA and WMV files, but I don't know for certain about DivX files.

Avatar image for LordFlasheart11
LordFlasheart11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 LordFlasheart11
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/

Use this link for the file you need to download and read how to install it. It convert's your divx-files into files the 360 can stream from your pc. It can take a while to convert a mediafile on your pc (depending on the size) but it's worth the wait imo.

mynameisdigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mynameisdigo

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's not worth it if it needs converting. I can just take my laptop and hook it up to the HDTV.

Dang, why doesn't the 360 play standard files?

pbwillthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pbwillthegreat
Member since 2003 • 250 Posts

I've posted this before, but it applys here also. Here it is:

Use Tversity Media Server. It's not the only one you can try,but its what I use. It'll transcode your files on the fly to the 360. Most formats you can think of will work. Just add the directory/'s you want to share just like in Media Center or media connect. Your 360 will computer link with the PC name Tversity, then your ready to go. You'll browse the files on your PC through the dashboard like any other device. It does Rss feeds and streams as well, for listening to podcast or radio on the fly directly from the feed. Just remember you might have to open a few ports in your router or firewall for it to work. The ports are on the TVersity site.

That should be all you need.

mynameisdigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mynameisdigo

Thanks a lot man! I've actually been browsing google just now and found the same thing.

Now it seems that I can't connect my PC and Xbox 360 together. My pc is on wireless and xbox360 is on ethernet, though same router.

People say that you have to do some port forwarding, but I'm lame with router configs, what exactly and where do I have to forrward?