Buying a X1 without Kinect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

I'm looking to buy a Xbox One without a Kinect towards the end of the year and even if MS doesn't make a bundle without kinect, I will try to purchase one without it through ebay, craigslist, etc. Two questions..

#1) Now I hear that there is a small icon that is displayed at all times on the top right of the screen if there is not Kinect plugged in. I'm very meticulous about what's on screen so even a tiny icon will piss me off when I'm playing a game. Is there anyway to get rid of that icon?

#2) Another alternative would be to have the Kinect, but turn it around so it's not looking at me at all. Would the X1 run without the icon at that point?

I really hate the Kinect and everything it stands for, I'm a gamer from the old school I like to pick up a controller and play. I hate everything motion sensing and all of that. I won't be using the Kinect for anything, so just need to make sure I fully do not need it at all.

Thank You,

Justin

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I would say take the Kinect apart and disassemble the camera and microphone.

Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts

just leave it connected and dont use its features? i know you can turn off voice commandes, i dont know about turning off video though.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#4 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

why don't you want kinect if all consoles are bundled with it?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

What reasons do you have for not wanting to use it other than "I am a 'traditional' gamer and am closed minded to different gaming experiences"?

The easiest thing is to cover the camera if you really give a shit about your xbox watching you. The images and audio literally go nowhere other than the xbox. Your smartphone and laptop cameras are far more likely to get hacked or seen by someone else.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@Jacobistheman:

One could easily say you are just as closed minded for thinking everybody should just accept Kinect and pay for it regardless of whether or not they want to use it.

Why is it so bad to be a traditional gamer? Because Microsoft says so?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

@Jacobistheman:

One could easily say you are just as closed minded for thinking everybody should just accept Kinect and pay for it regardless of whether or not they want to use it.

Why is it so bad to be a traditional gamer? Because Microsoft says so?

Supplementing controllers with optional voice and movement is still "traditional gaming". You don't have to use if if you don't want to.

I think that Microsoft took a risk in increasing the price of the Xbox One by including the Kinect with every console. I understand people who would like to not pay for it, but I think that it is some terrible thing because of invalid assumptions about the privacy or that you are forced to use it because you have it is closed minded. The facts are that there are no real privacy issues and that you will not be forced to use it outside of a Kinect game.

(And I PS4, and Xbone sitting in my living room)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

waiting for E3 probably MS anounce model without kinect i want and xbox1 without kinect

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#9 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@TurboGraphix said:

I'm a gamer from the old school I like to pick up a controller and play. I hate everything motion sensing and all of that. I won't be using the Kinect for anything, so just need to make sure I fully do not need it at all.

Thank You,

Justin

If they had cheap motion sensing tech in the 70s and 80s to add to Atari and Genesis, they would have done it. Just because the tech is only available now doesn't make it some new intrusion to be feared. And there's some young kid out there for whom this is 'traditional' and 'old-school'.

Avatar image for wg_mcfartypants
WG_McFartypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 WG_McFartypants
Member since 2013 • 233 Posts

I would say:

1) You have issues.

2) While there is no icon during gaming. Buy a PS4.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TurboGraphix

Thanks for the responses. It's funny the people are quick to label me "close minded", So, your saying I must like and support every new innovation that happens in Gaming so I can be open minded? I like what I like plain and simple. I never liked Kinect or any camera based gaming.

I prefer to have an X1 without Kinect because why would I want to pay $100 for something extra I won't use? Also, I'm not a fan of having a camera on me while I'm gaming in my own home. Everyone's home is their own domain of privacy.

I'll probably just have to wait for e3 and hope that MS will be smart enough to announce a X1 without Kinect. Thanks again for the responses, Game on folks!

WG_McFartypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WG_McFartypants

MS isn't about to change their policy on this one, it damages the brand. Everyone complains there was nothing compelling about Kinect on 360. The reason? Lack of support. The reason there was no support? It wasn't a standard feature on every machine, so developers instantly limited their audience if they tried to incorporate it.

MS fixes this issue and produces a much improved version. Everyone bitches, anyway.

You want to use the XB1 without it, that's fine. There is absolutely no functionality you can't duplicate with the controller. Every game so far that has kinect functionality in it has it set as an option you can turn on or off (short of the kinect exclusive games).

You want to buy an Xbox and then try to brow beat Microsoft into doing things that will lessen the experience for those of us who DO want to use everything and experience NEW features... Then, yeah. I stick with go buy a PS4 (which I also own, and it's also a very nice product.)

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TurboGraphix

I agree with what your saying, yeah. Satisfy both types of consumers right? Well make one with Kinect and one without because not everyone wants the Kinect to be the standard..That way everyone is happy.

WG_McFartypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WG_McFartypants

No. That way you go back to the kinect being a peripheral that only a subset of users have and no developer will touch it with a ten foot pole because supporting it guarantees your game will have fewer potential buyers. It's not JUST about the users. The people who spend millions of dollars and thousands and thousands of hours making the games we play have to be taken into consideration, too.

You don't want to use it. Don't use it. If you insist that the Xbox is too expensive with it. Vote with your dollars and buy the competition or buy/continue to use a 360 (which right now and for the foreseeable future is a better all around experience).

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@wg_mcfartypants:

Yet Microsoft had no issue releasing dozens of first and third party Kinect games on the 360 to every Core game. They certainly didnt have to do nothing but casual party games but that's how they did it. If Kinect. 2.0 is good enough and what people want, it will sell on its own merit. These will be must have games and they will buy Kinect just to play them.

Meanwhile no third party multiplat could ever use a model other than "Better with Kinect". This is still what the majority of games will be. And it will be like this forever unless X1 could see PS2 like success to make most games exclusive instead. This will never happen using their current strategy .

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

You know you can turn off the kinect, and the motion/lean in games can be turned off too, and you wont have any icons.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

just turn everything off imo.

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 angryguy77
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

@TurboGraphix said:

Thanks for the responses. It's funny the people are quick to label me "close minded", So, your saying I must like and support every new innovation that happens in Gaming so I can be open minded? I like what I like plain and simple. I never liked Kinect or any camera based gaming.

I prefer to have an X1 without Kinect because why would I want to pay $100 for something extra I won't use? Also, I'm not a fan of having a camera on me while I'm gaming in my own home. Everyone's home is their own domain of privacy.

I'll probably just have to wait for e3 and hope that MS will be smart enough to announce a X1 without Kinect. Thanks again for the responses, Game on folks!

Why do people accuse MS of ripping them off for making a product with a feature they don't like or use and cry about having to pay for it? Do you bitch about things you don't use in your:

Cell phone?

TV?

DVD player?

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TurboGraphix

A cell phone, DVD player and TV are a single device which serve their own purpose. A kinect is a extra physical device included in the box that I will not use. Big difference.

TerBear55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 TerBear55
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

The point is, for those of us who don't want motion games and never did, never will, and still don't want a kinect, WHY would we want to pay for it just to turn it off or drape a cloth over it. Get real. Some of us simply want to pick up a controller and play plain old games without jumping around. Don't hate us for that....and don't make us spend extra money for stuff we won't use. We are saying we WANT TO BUY THE NEW XBOX but without the kinect. That's all. If you love it then more power to you, just don't bash us for WANTING TO BUY A NEW ONE AND HENCE SUPPORT MICROSOFT's console, but just without the kinect. Jeez. Lighten up.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TurboGraphix

@TerBear55 said:

The point is, for those of us who don't want motion games and never did, never will, and still don't want a kinect, WHY would we want to pay for it just to turn it off or drape a cloth over it. Get real. Some of us simply want to pick up a controller and play plain old games without jumping around. Don't hate us for that....and don't make us spend extra money for stuff we won't use. We are saying we WANT TO BUY THE NEW XBOX but without the kinect. That's all. If you love it then more power to you, just don't bash us for WANTING TO BUY A NEW ONE AND HENCE SUPPORT MICROSOFT's console, but just without the kinect. Jeez. Lighten up.

THANK YOU. I have never been a fan of Kinect and never will be. I want to get the xbox one but if MS is gonna force something I don't want and need, I may reconsider my decision. I'm hoping for a non kinect bundle announcement sometime throughout the year for us gamers that just want to pick up a controller and play....

cubelover38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 cubelover38
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts

honestly i think microsoft should quickly release a kinectless version of xbox 1 i believe that extra 100 is hurting them ,even though kinect 2.0 was supposed to change everything it really doesnt work right .

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

I understand both sides of this argument really. I myself would go for the cheaper package without the Kinect if that was an option. I've had one since they came out and it only rarely gets used by the kids. With the X1 though the new voice and facial recognition features are pretty cool but not enough to make it a system seller over a PS4. I don't have one yet and don't know when I will get one because the few games I'm really looking forward to so far are going to be on 360 as well. Maybe in a couple of years. Anyway, I really don't see how you would notice you even had a Kinect if you weren't using it. It just sits there.

BlazeOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlazeOC
Member since 2002 • 802 Posts

Do you guys complain when a TV comes with inputs you will not use? You pay for those as well.

What about the fact just about every car now comes with Bluetooth. Not everyone uses it. Should they make a separate model for none Bluetooth users?

Do you use every option and service that comes with your OS?

The Kinect comes with it. No one forces you to use it or to buy the X1 at all.

Talk about 1st world problems.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TurboGraphix

The kinect comes with it, but it's a separate physical device. It's $100 more because of the Kinect.

Last time I checked, TV inputs are built in, and aren't something separate.

Also, cars that have the bluetooth built in asks for extra money when you go to "Build and Price" on a manufacter website.

Also, on every OS I know, most software given to you are promos and mainly trials unless the company is sponsoring the program.

"1st world problems?" I know i'm fortunate, so please don't be "that guy". Why would I want to pay $100 extra for a I won't use? The fact is people are accepting to pay $100 extra for things they don't use. You go as far as to make an excuse to why I should pay $100 extra for it. Get real. Also, thanks for not answering the question...SMH.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#26 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@TurboGraphix said:

I'm hoping for a non kinect bundle announcement sometime throughout the year for us gamers that just want to pick up a controller and play....

This is never happening. The whole point of all Ones having Kinect is so developers support them. If you're making a game for the One and know 100% have Kinect, you're going to use it if it makes sense to. Once the percentage drops, support drops off. Kinect inclusion is about pushing technology forward.

BlazeOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlazeOC
Member since 2002 • 802 Posts

@TurboGraphix: So, your complaint is it's connected the system via a wire? If it was imbedded in the front plate of the console it would be it be ok because it would not be a “separate physical device”

No matter if it’s built in, connected with a wire, or wireless, all parts have cost. Even those inputs you don’t use, and don’t seem to mind, on a TV.

And try to find a new car w/o Bluetooth these days. It’s standard now. So are rear view cameras on many cars. Will you never buy a car again once it’s standard on all, and it's a feature you won't use?

On the OS, I am not talking about bundled software. I am talking about the OS itself. Do you really think you use every feature of the OS? Do you complain that they are included.

I like I said every part has a cost. You accept the fact just about every time you buy an item with any complexity that you most likely will not use all its features. Why pretend this is any different? Just because you took the time to look at the estimated price breakdown of parts for this item?

So unless you are staying you will stop buying things that have features you will not use stop being a hypocrite. You will either buy the X1 because it has games you want to play or not.

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 angryguy77
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

@BlazeOC: "Hypocrite" is the right word. It just amazes me at how people hate on this system and MS for the way the made the product, but are totally fine with these manufacturing principles being used in other products they own.

Plus, it's a $100, really not that much in the grand scheme of things. I don't use my system for music, I'm not going to bitch about paying for something I don't use. I'm not a fan of the rumble feature either, but it's part of the deal.

People have to stop bitching about every little thing and just buy the system they want if it's better for them. If MS were to take the kinect out, then there would be a lot of pissed off people because they do like it and they want it to be supported.

I was one who wanted the DRM and all that, but because of the childish whining based in ignorance and, we were held back. I bring that up to illustrate that MS can't please everyone. For everything you want taken away from the system, someone doesn't want it to change.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TurboGraphix

You guys still don't get it. Also, No one is "hating" on the system. I want a X1, how is that hating? Honestly, Explain that to me.

If that's the vision of Microsoft, Guess I'll just have to hold out on buying a next gen even longer. I prefer MS because of Gears of War. Spent hours upon that franchise, loved the story, graphics, everything was perfect about that game. Sony has nothing that appeals to me more than Gears does. Thats why I want to get a X1..

I understand every part has a cost, but Microsoft said Kinect is not mandatory for playing the console. That's my biggest complaint about the system. Ok, some people want Kinect, some don't. I get it. I speak for myself and not any else. If it's not mandatory, then why would they not make a bundle without it? Bringing in arguements as minor as bluetooth in a car, or a the rumble feature in a controller. This is a separate device that IS NOT NEEDED.

At the end of day, everyone will have their own reasoning to accept or not accept what MS is doing with the X1. I personally refuse to accept it because I'm not going to buy something where I won't use $100 of it. Some of you just wanted to defend MS and didn't even bother to answer my question, so I apologize if I offended you in some bizarre way. Keep in my mind I WANT A XBOX ONE. Anyways, Thank you to those who actually answered my questions, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

PrincessKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PrincessKenny
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

@TurboGraphix said:

I prefer MS because of Gears of War. Spent hours upon that franchise,

Gears of War is dead in Microsoft's basement.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

@TurboGraphix: My god, stop crying. Just suck it up and buy a X1 and just dont use the Kinect. Leave it in the box. The system is $500 wether you use Kinect or not. Just deal with it or buy a PS4. OH, if a $100 is gonna destroy your life, maybe you should consider a new hobby. I am not the biggest Kinect fan either, but damn, get over it. It at least makes a cool microphone and skype chat camera.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TurboGraphix

@princesskenny said:

@TurboGraphix said:

I prefer MS because of Gears of War. Spent hours upon that franchise,

Gears of War is dead in Microsoft's basement.

Read any new articles lately...?

PrincessKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PrincessKenny
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

Yes, I have, does the IP going to another developer mean its going to be good? Maybe its because I hated Judgement, I will just assume you liked it.

I suppose you can wait and see if Microsoft will drop it to lower the price further, that depends if they still believe Kinect will be a driving force for their UI and possibly Kinect games (not counting on this one).

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TurboGraphix

I love anything Gears..Gears 1 will always be number 1 for me. 2 was awful, 3 was good, Judgement was okay. In all honesty, I'll just have to wait. In a way its good because it adds excitement for this year's e3, personally.

WiiQ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WiiQ24
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Xbone shoulda been $400 with kinect. Everyone happy.

Warlord_Irochi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#36 Warlord_Irochi
Member since 2009 • 4291 Posts

I would say just ignore it. Microsoft seems committed to make everyone have it so doubt they will be releasing a version without it...