Buying 360: Which Way to Go?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chowderboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chowderboi
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

Im getting a 360 for L4D and SF4. (yeah i like the analog stick)

Have a PS3 Already

I need to know:

If i should get the Jasper Arcade and stack maybe a 20/60 hd and get a wireless adapter

or go pro or elite. elite appeals to me cuz its black where i can put it next to PS3.

him42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 him42
Member since 2004 • 6811 Posts
I'd go with the pro, which comes with a 60gb HDD. If you plan on getting a bunch more games for your 360 and plan on installing all of them, get the Elite.
DSandPSP_owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DSandPSP_owner
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts
get pro for sure...100 dollars to look cool next to ps3 isn't worth it...btw when playing l4d add me..."slushOMG"
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 please-help
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts
get pro for sure...100 dollars to look cool next to ps3 isn't worth it...btw when playing l4d add me..."slushOMG"DSandPSP_owner
hi, don't forget the extra 60gigs you're getting, and yeah, it's black, it's a premium console only for the truly choiceful.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#5 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Pro is pretty good, go for that one.
impl0sion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 impl0sion
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
buying the hard rive separateley would be a waste. If you want to make full se of the 360's features such as downloading movies, get the elite, but pro would be fine.
GamingHazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamingHazard
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'd go pro, best way :)

JonesWs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JonesWs
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
i own a ps3 as well and i went with the elite, more space and its looks better lol.
DSandPSP_owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DSandPSP_owner
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts
[QUOTE="DSandPSP_owner"]get pro for sure...100 dollars to look cool next to ps3 isn't worth it...btw when playing l4d add me..."slushOMG"please-help
hi, don't forget the extra 60gigs you're getting, and yeah, it's black, it's a premium console only for the truly choiceful.

what are you gonna do with the 60gigs....download some sweet halo 3 pics?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts
Depends what sort of budget you're on, I guess. I got the Elite because it was black and the "new thing" (when it was new, obviously). I ended up using a lot of that space, though. You can never have too much harddrive space.
method115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 method115
Member since 2006 • 853 Posts
Eh I dont understand what I would need more then 20 gigs for. I have enough space as it is but I like to play games one or two at a time at most.
JonesWs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JonesWs
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
i think i have 60 gigs left and i installed a bunch of games to the hd, so if i were you i would go with the elite.
NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 NeoXPG
Member since 2004 • 262 Posts
Hi, I'm in the same boat. I want the elite, but I also want a Jasper model. Are they abundant yet in elite form or are they still rare? I hope to pick one up tomorrow. Is the elite still $50 difference? If so it may be worth it because you get the HDMI cable and Optical adapter, which cost more then $30 separate. I plan on using HDMI so that makes the elite the better deal...
Slashfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Slashfan10
Member since 2008 • 1242 Posts
You can tell which is the jasper by looking at the specs on the box. I would just go pro I suppose if it were me.
emrlybeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emrlybeth
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i haveps3 to, and getting 360 in 16 days =) im going to get 60gb, i mean most people tell me you don't even need 60gb really, i mean some people will but it depends what type of gamer you are
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Go with the Pro. Unless you're only thinking of getting a few games, you'll use up all the memory in the arcade pretty fast, and the Elite has a ton of memory you'll probably never use.
piratedrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 piratedrunk
Member since 2003 • 341 Posts
As someone who owns a pro i would highly recommend the elite. I have practically no space and space is nice to have if you want to install your games on the system so when you play it runs quieter and more important.. cooler. I've had RRoD 3 times now but since they brought in game installations It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood)
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 please-help
[QUOTE="please-help"][QUOTE="DSandPSP_owner"]get pro for sure...100 dollars to look cool next to ps3 isn't worth it...btw when playing l4d add me..."slushOMG"DSandPSP_owner

what are you gonna do with the 60gigs....download some sweet halo 3 pics?

i guess that was kinda funny, but really, yeah- download more content without worring about running out of space for any reason.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

if you only want it for those 2 games Id go with pro, all the money oyud have to dump into an arcade would make it cost more money

Taggsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Taggsai
Member since 2007 • 1024 Posts

Have a PS3 Already

I need to know:

If i should get the Jasper Arcade and stack maybe a 20/60 hd and get a wireless adapter

or go pro or elite. elite appeals to me cuz its black where i can put it next to PS3.

chowderboi

If money isn't a problem, I'd get the Elite. I'm also anal about stuff matching. I bought a new DVD player to match the colour of my Xbox as they sti side by side.

Kill_ZONE2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Kill_ZONE2
Member since 2006 • 863 Posts
[QUOTE="chowderboi"]

Have a PS3 Already

I need to know:

Taggsai

If money isn't a problem, I'd get the Elite. I'm also anal about stuff matching. I bought a new DVD player to match the colour of my Xbox as they sti side by side.

Hooah to that!!! For some reason i just like the color black. I mean everything inside my game room is black!! Surround sound, tv, stereos, chairs, tables, well you get it. If you got money i'd prefer getting the Elite. If not, the PRO is just as fine. If you get the arcade you don't get component cables.... so that means you would have to buy some kind of HD cable (HDMI/Component) and a harddrive. How awesome is that? The elite comes with a BLACK charge and play kit. God i love it.... trust me you'll need this.
NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NeoXPG
As someone who owns a pro i would highly recommend the elite. I have practically no space and space is nice to have if you want to install your games on the system so when you play it runs quieter and more important.. cooler. I've had RRoD 3 times now but since they brought in game installations It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood)piratedrunk
Do you have the original Pro (20GB) or the revised 60GB pro? I really, really want the elite but man $100 more. If it were $50 more it would be a no brainer... Think I will get the Pro and save the other $100 for a PS3 too. One question, do they sell that optical cable adapter that the elite includes separate? That is the cable that plugs in to the out port and allows Optical out while using an HDMI cable...
Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kha88NZdils
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts

Go Jasper 60GB Pro, but if you have to cash to spend why not get an elite?

I just bought a jasper yesterday, 12. 1A right but the manufacture date, thats how I knew it was one.

NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeoXPG

I just bought a jasper yesterday, 12. 1A right but the manufacture date, thats how I knew it was one.

Kha88NZdils
Did you buy the elite? I had the Falcon Elite and had zero problems with it. It was a lot cooler and a lot quieter then the first gen 360s. Unfortunately when I lost my job last year, I had to sell it to pay the bills. :( But now is time once again to get back into 360 ville. Been a year and I am having 360 withdrawals. :D
Avatar image for TwistedMetalFan
TwistedMetalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 TwistedMetalFan
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts
I'd go Pro if I were you. In my opinion its the best overall value for your money. I don't think the extra hundred dollars for the ellite is worth it.
halo_wars86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 halo_wars86
Member since 2009 • 1505 Posts
get the 120 gb 360. or buy an arcade 360 and a 120 gb hardrive. 60 gb is not enough u will feel restricted. i have a 120 gb and already i used 84 gb of memory.
Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kha88NZdils
[QUOTE="Kha88NZdils"]

NeoXPG

Did you buy the elite? I had the Falcon Elite and had zero problems with it. It was a lot cooler and a lot quieter then the first gen 360s. Unfortunately when I lost my job last year, I had to sell it to pay the bills. :( But now is time once again to get back into 360 ville. Been a year and I am having 360 withdrawals. :D

Nah I bought the Xbox 360 60GB Pro, Jasper model. The Elites are the best because they have the memory but they dont have that Jasper chipset as far as I know, but I havnt heard of anyone sending their Elite back either even if it is the falcon model. Thats is provided that you have the money for it, anyways I agree that the Pro is the best value.

i--Ki1l--U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 i--Ki1l--U
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts
Pros best
Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kha88NZdils
Thats why i bought me the 60GB Pro instead of the elite :D
NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NeoXPG
Nah I bought the Xbox 360 60GB Pro, Jasper model. The Elites are the best because they have the memory but they dont have that Jasper chipset as far as I know, but I havnt heard of anyone sending their Elite back either even if it is the falcon model. Thats is provided that you have the money for it, anyways I agree that the Pro is the best value.Kha88NZdils
They make elite Jaspers, just not the easiest to find. I have seen a few on Craigslist. I may wait till next week and save a few more bucks for the elite. I plan on using a lot of space and I had an elite before, so I can't go backwards! ;) If I can't hold out till next week I may just pick up a Pro this weekend. Still confused I guess.
Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kha88NZdils

Yeah i heard that they did but i just wasnt sure if i wanted to believe it hahah :) I was offered the red elite, looks realli nice! but nahhh i wanted a 360 that was a jasper that run on a 150W powerbox and 12. 1A

If you have the money then get an elite, if moneys tight then go Pro. They are great. So really whats another week and a bit of saving? you get another 60GB for another 100 or so which you would pay more for if it were bought seperately.

NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NeoXPG

Yeah i heard that they did but i just wasnt sure if i wanted to believe it hahah :) I was offered the red elite, looks realli nice! but nahhh i wanted a 360 that was a jasper that run on a 150W powerbox and 12. 1A

If you have the money then get an elite, if moneys tight then go Pro. They are great. So really whats another week and a bit of saving? you get another 60GB for another 100 or so which you would pay more for if it were bought seperately.

Kha88NZdils
Cool. Yeah I do want a Jasper model. Is this your first 360? If it isn't do you notice a difference in the cooling? I sure noticed with the previous version, Falcon. So I am sure the Jasper is even cooler running. One more thing too, the last time I used the 360 they had the older Blade system. I guess now the 360 has a completely new UI with Wii type Avatars? Do you like the changes in that area? Thanks for all the comments, great thread.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
You should read my blog man. I just wrote a xbox 360 purchasing guide for newcomers basically. Anyways if you don't feel like doing that, in short, if you want online get the pro. There's plenty of space to install a few games and downloads, etc. etc. If you plan on getting a lot of games and install them all to your hard drive, maybe consider the elite. I recommend the wireless adapter if you've got $100 to spare because it works like a charm. I have an excellent connection when I use mine. The only downside is that it does take longer to download stuff from the market place than it does when using a direct connection. It isn't a totally bad thing because you can have background downloading enabled where your 360 continues to download even though it's off. So get a bunch of game demos, go to sleep, wake up to a fiesta of waiting content. 20 gb is just too small to have. That's what I have and I can have 2 games installed on it with basically maybe one or two demos along with it. It sucks. And having games installed is so much better because the 360 fans aren't spinning like a rocket engine. It stops me from getting headaches whenever I play. Plus the noise the 360 makes will get annoying soon if you don't install games.
Avatar image for SatanAntichrist
SatanAntichrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SatanAntichrist
Member since 2009 • 355 Posts
get the arcade. the harddrive is so big.
Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I would get the Elite, I have had both and I enjoy my Elite.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 please-help
I would get the Elite, I have had both and I enjoy my Elite.RenegadePatriot
why do you have both, what is the point of that? and why do you have heath ledger as your avatar? is that from brokeback mountain?
Avatar image for SatanAntichrist
SatanAntichrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SatanAntichrist
Member since 2009 • 355 Posts

[QUOTE="RenegadePatriot"]I would get the Elite, I have had both and I enjoy my Elite.please-help
why do you have both, what is the point of that? and why do you have heath ledger as your avatar? is that from brokeback mountain?

he meant he has both PS3 and XBOX 360.

and yes, it is Heath Ledger from Brokeback Mountain. it's the part where the gay cowboys put face makeup on eachother.

bradly_2795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bradly_2795
Member since 2004 • 948 Posts
get the arcade. the harddrive is so big.SatanAntichrist
...Wow...:|
Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

[QUOTE="SatanAntichrist"]get the arcade. the harddrive is so big.bradly_2795
...Wow...:|

exactly

NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NeoXPG
I think I am going to wait a bit more and get the elite. I know if I don't I will always wish I did. Thanks for all the comments! and Sorry for taking over the thread, so much...
ihaveabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ihaveabu
Member since 2003 • 849 Posts
dude, if u want a jasper, only the arcade model consistently has jasper chips. pro/elites have falcon mostly the best for ur money is to buy an arcade model and a hdd from ebay.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 please-help

[QUOTE="please-help"][QUOTE="RenegadePatriot"]I would get the Elite, I have had both and I enjoy my Elite.SatanAntichrist

he meant he has both PS3 and XBOX 360.

and yes, it is Heath Ledger from Brokeback Mountain. it's the part where the gay cowboys put face makeup on eachother.

you're right! thanks. i thought that dude meant 2 360's.
NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NeoXPG
[QUOTE="ihaveabu"]dude, if u want a jasper, only the arcade model consistently has jasper chips. pro/elites have falcon mostly the best for ur money is to buy an arcade model and a hdd from ebay.

Not really, when you think about it. The Arcade has Composite cables for SDTV. I am going to hook it up to HDTV so at minimum I need component cables. So that is $30, then the cost of the HD and the cost of the Headset. If you want HDMI too then you have to add on another $30 - $50 (if you want the Optical Adapter too). I am buying an elite.
I went to best buy and all the Arcades were of course Jaspers but so were all the Pros. A big stack of 30 or more and they were all Jaspers, based on the consoles and the stickers I checked. The elites were another story. They were either Falcon or The first edition Elite, Zephyr? I don't mind the falcon chipset but not going to buy the first edition. I don't think they sell many elites so it is going to be a while before the Jaspers are abundant.
Well 1 more week and I will buy the elite. Not waiting for the Jasper, I want my 360 fix now! ;)
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
the elite is worth it and a great price
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts
I have an elite and I gotta say unless its the new chipset stay away!!!!!! See I bought a core at launch (it was the only one I could find) which is still working and no RROD or repairs. I wanted HDMI, bought an elite, RROD 4 months later and when I went into gamecrazy to get a PS3 the guy said I was the 5th elite to RROD that week, so it's up to you but I'd definitely make sure to get the new chipset on any model you decide on.
2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

you are getting an X360 for SF Iv which is avaliable on a system you already have and L4D which is avaliable on the PC.... well good luck

NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NeoXPG
I have an elite and I gotta say unless its the new chipset stay away!!!!!! See I bought a core at launch (it was the only one I could find) which is still working and no RROD or repairs. I wanted HDMI, bought an elite, RROD 4 months later and when I went into gamecrazy to get a PS3 the guy said I was the 5th elite to RROD that week, so it's up to you but I'd definitely make sure to get the new chipset on any model you decide on.360hammer
Thanks for that. I would like to get the Jasper Elite but they are extremely rare still. I would say March will be the month we start to see them in abundance.
As for the RROD on your elite, that sucks. Did you get one with the Falcon chipset or the first Rev Elite? You can tell by looking at the back next to the power rating. 16.5 amps is the original, 14.2 the falcon and 12.1 the Jasper. I had the Falcon elite, last year and had zero problems. It was very quiet and barely got hot. I would like to have a Jasper elite, but honestly I don't want to wait another month or two. :D Plus you do get a three year warranty against the RROD.
AK47wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AK47wut
Member since 2009 • 203 Posts
Go elite man i got a ps3 two and im not gonna lie the ps3 and the elite next to eachother looks very awosome, also the huge hd helps out alot.
NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NeoXPG
Go elite man i got a ps3 two and im not gonna lie the ps3 and the elite next to eachother looks very awosome, also the huge hd helps out alot.AK47wut
Yes, that will be my next system.
I went this morning to Fry's and bought an elite. Unfortunately it was not a Jasper though. The Manufacturing date is 11-09-2008 but it is a Falcon. I'm fine with that though as I don't want to wait any longer. Stinks because I know that MS started making the Jasper systems in October and the sticker on the box matches the jasper lots and what not, but it appears to be a Falcon. No biggie I am not a hardcore, game for 10 hours straight, gamer.
See you people on live, since I still have a membership! :)
Xternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#50 Xternal
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts
I'd recommend a pro for you but i wouldn't recommend it for me, i love my elite :P