Bioshock has the best atmosphere ever in a game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
the art deco style of the 40's, the creepy underwater city, Big Daddies that lurch around every corner, the hummable tunes. It's so very immersive.
totaldj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 totaldj
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts
it had...but i think god of war had the best atmosphere imo...
T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts
It may sound weird but I was really drawn into Condemned's atmosphere. That was one creepy game.
vhayste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 vhayste
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts
Bioshock's atmosphere is really good. But so far, Jericho's environment is a lot creepier.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

Bioshock's atmosphere is really good. But so far, Jericho's environment is a lot creepier. vhayste

I agree.. played the demo the other day and.. WOW. Best I've seen.

SunLord592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SunLord592
Member since 2003 • 2651 Posts

[QUOTE="vhayste"]Bioshock's atmosphere is really good. But so far, Jericho's environment is a lot creepier. sinistergoggles

i had a hard time playing the demo, fricken scary.

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
It may sound weird but I was really drawn into Condemned's atmosphere. That was one creepy game.T_0_D
It's not weird.I love Condemned's atmosphere...about the only game that's made me feel literally uneasy.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
[QUOTE="sinistergoggles"]

[QUOTE="vhayste"]Bioshock's atmosphere is really good. But so far, Jericho's environment is a lot creepier. SunLord592

:lol: You're kidding me right? That game has about as much atmosphere as a can of Pringles...I laughed at all the 'scary momnets'.It's a horribly cheesey and plastic game.If you want a game that feels real and makes you s*** your pants...play Condemned.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

not according to Gamespot....they gave it to stalker? Whos stupid idea was that.

TC, i completely agree with you. Bioshock has been one of only a few games that left me thinking "i wonder if that can really happen" (meaning the whole Rapture concept). I know its physically impossible, but for some reason Bioshock makes it so believable.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

Id rather have a buffalo take a diareha dump in my ear than play the jerico demo again, that pos.

Bioshock takes the cake and condemed too, now that was a freaky game

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
gotta wait til after silent hill 5 before choosing lol
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

the art deco style of the 40's, the creepy underwater city, Big Daddies that lurch around every corner, the hummable tunes. It's so very immersive.Travo_basic

You nailed it. Bioshock was easily the GOTY for me.

bt2404[] - brought to you by TripleTags.com

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

not according to Gamespot....they gave it to stalker? Whos stupid idea was that.

TC, i completely agree with you. Bioshock has been one of only a few games that left me thinking "i wonder if that can really happen" (meaning the whole Rapture concept). I know its physically impossible, but for some reason Bioshock makes it so believable.

hockeyruler12

If you havent played STALKER, dont say the atmosphere is bad....I have played both STALKER and Bioshock, and I would easily say that STALKER has the better atmosphere.

In STALKER, the world is very very dynamic, and just feels more alive than in any other game I have played. You can play, and suddenly you will see dogs out in the distance grabing dead bodies, and eating them. Groups of soldiers having campfires and singing songs...etc...everything just feels so alive in that game...

not to mention the actual size of the world is massive..and so detailed...there is an entire abandoned city in the game, with fully modled apartments, stores...everything you can possibly imagine...

and most surprisingly, their are plenty of places in the game that most players wont ever see...and yet even those are all extreamly detailed and alive.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Stalker has vastly superior atmosphere. Bioshock has better graphics.

Stalker wins.

venasque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 venasque
Member since 2005 • 373 Posts
[QUOTE="sinistergoggles"]

[QUOTE="vhayste"]Bioshock's atmosphere is really good. But so far, Jericho's environment is a lot creepier. SunLord592

Interesting. I had a hard time playing the demo for Jericho too, but because I thought it was a bad game, not creepy.

I totally agree with the original poster though, Bioshock's atmosphere is amazing. And atmosphere doesn't have to equal scary or creepy. Just the overall feel and presence a game gives you. Bioshock is unique and the happy jukebox music that's stuck on play juxaposed with the post disaster environment of Rapture gives a different sort of creepy feel than Jericho's traditional creepiness.

T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

[QUOTE="T_0_D"]It may sound weird but I was really drawn into Condemned's atmosphere. That was one creepy game.AtomicBaconBits
It's not weird.I love Condemned's atmosphere...about the only game that's made me feel literally uneasy.

When I first bought Condemned I was playing it at like 3a.m. in my basement and my cat decided it wanted attention and jumped off a table behind my couch onto my head and I screamed like a little girl. I told my brother in law about the game and my "incident" and he made fun of me so I lent him the game and he came back saying that he would not play it unless it was daylight outside. I would call that some serious atmosphere.

KWpimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KWpimpin
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
never played condemed but it sound pretty scary
canadiancheeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 canadiancheeba
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
its aiiiight
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
I actually felt genuinely scared by an xbox game :o that fact scares me more than anything.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
I love games that have a certain 'atmosphere' (I won't go into atmosphere jokes) and I agree with the TC in repect that BioShock is veyr unique and equally amazing, scary etc.

I definitely wouldn't say it was the best though. I know exactly which game I would pick. That honour goes to Shenmue I on the Dreamcast. The feelings I get when playing that game...it's incredible.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts
I don't think it's the best but it is incredible.
ThE_SoCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThE_SoCK
Member since 2003 • 459 Posts
bioshock's atmosphere was good, but i totally agree that STALKER takes the cake. Having played both, I would choose STALKER anyday.
Lifaenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lifaenn
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Condemned is scary. Its like a Saw game, you know what im saying? Scary scary.

BTW,

I've heard nothing but good reviews about bioshock all the time. Is it such a great game, cause i dont want to waste my money on something other people would like to play. Whats the plot-line behind the game, is it any good at all?

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
Bioshock is one of those rare games that oozes atmosphere and polish. It was great.