biggest surprises and disappointments

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Beach86
Member since 2006 • 631 Posts

just curious what games in the past couple of months or even year have been either a disappointment or just a game you were surprised you liked as much as you did. not trying to have any arguments. for me the disappointment for me was bioshock 2. the first was one of my favorite games ever, but the second just didnt fo something for me. i even went to the midnight release, which was the first and only one i have ever been to. besides tonight. i played it for about 4 hours in and never finished it. kept it until today figuring i would finish it at some point. i tried multiple times and just turned it off withing 5 min. i really am not sure what it is. all i know is i was very disappointed with that. the game i never expected to like was just cause 2. i laughed when i heard they made a second one cause the first was so bad. i got the demo just to check it out, and i couldnt believe how much fun i had. so i pre-ordered and played about 20 hrs. and i never thought i would like that game. only game so far where the demo made me get it.

IamnotBiased

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 IamnotBiased
Member since 2009 • 174 Posts

I was really disappointed by GTA IV, to me it just blowed.

On the contrary I was really surprised with Saints Row 2, It was hectic, fun, and silly.

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Beach86

you know what, i was the same. i loved saints row. and even though i played gta alot. i thought it wasnt nearly as good as i thought it was gonna be. i mean it got a perfect 10. it wasnt even close to that.

SSBMFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#4 SSBMFighter
Member since 2005 • 3797 Posts

For me the biggest surprise would be Viva Pinata. I thought the game would be boring and I'd take it back after a few days and get my money back, but I fell in love with it, once again Rare made me a believer. THe biggest disappointment would have to be PDZ when it came out. I loved the first Perfect Dark back on the N64 but this just didn't do it for me.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Red Faction Guerrilla was quite a pleasant surprise indeed. On the contrary, multiplayer in Modern Warfare 2 blows.

EzraMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EzraMajor
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

It's on ps3 but the only big disappointment I can think of right off would be Demon's Souls. It was a challenging game up until the first boss. Once I got used to it the rest of the game was pretty easy short of the last boss. It got a lot of hype for being incredibly hard but it's really only frustrating when you get sent back to nothing after dying. Not to say it wasn't a great game but I don't think it was as hard as the hype tried to make people believe.

If this is reserved for the 360 though I'd have to say Halo ODST's multiplayer.. Would it really that hard to just rework the multiplayer in the game.. I had no idea I was getting a short campaign, firefight mode that was dwarfed compared to Gear's horde mode and then that Halo 3 mp with a ton of maps I'd already payed for..

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Beach86

yeah i never played the original PDZ but i played that on 360, it was right when the 360 came out so the graphics amazed me. thats all i cared about at the time. but it did suck. lol

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Beach86

no not only for 360 i guess. i had demons souls for about 3 days. the thing with losing everything after you die was the only reason i got rid of it. i couldnt take it anymore. i forgot about modern warfare 2 as well. i played over 6 days in modern warfare 1 and close to that in world at war. i had right around a day and traded it in. not sure how they can screw a game like that up. but they did,

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

For me the biggest surprise would be Viva Pinata. I thought the game would be boring and I'd take it back after a few days and get my money back, but I fell in love with it, once again Rare made me a believer. THe biggest disappointment would have to be PDZ when it came out. I loved the first Perfect Dark back on the N64 but this just didn't do it for me.

SSBMFighter
Yeah, Viva Pinata is great. Oddly addicting.
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

GTA 4 was so slow and generic san andreas have much more stuff to do , borderlands and tales of vesperia i was really surprise much better than i expected

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Beach86

yeah i played borderlands alot. and san andreas was so much better.

Intrakitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Intrakitt
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

Biggest Surprises: Metro 2033 & Darksiders

Biggest Disappointments: God of War III & Resident Evil 5

cclbiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cclbiah
Member since 2003 • 902 Posts

surprises: Borderlands, Viva pinata- both outstanding, had no idea

disappointments: GTA4, L4D2- absolutely hated both of them.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Biggest Surprise: Borderlands, Blue Dragon, Bayonetta and Perfect Dark XBLA (I didn't expect it to be ported!)

Biggest Dissapointments: GTA IV, Oblivion, Too Human, Perfect Dark Zero

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Not sure that I can think of any huge surprises but Game Room is the most disappointing to me. I think there's a lot of potential with the idea but the implementation so far has been a head-scratcher.
Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Biggest surprise: Bioshock. A thousand times better than I expected it to be. One of my favorite games ever.

Biggest disappointment: Far Cry 2. Looked awesome, but was far too tedious.

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

i haven't been disappointed with much thankfully but i was really surprised with Dead Space. I loved every moment of it and it really sucked me in. Now i can't wait for the sequel.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

Biggest surprise: Mass Effect and Bioshock were way better than I thought they would be.

Biggest disappointment: Halo 3:ODST

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

Biggest Surprise: Assassins Creed 2 or Mass Effect 2 (both were such huge improvements over the originals)

Biggest Disappointment: Farcry 2 (those damn re-spawning guard checkpoints) or Halo 3:ODST (short campaign, firefight was terrible)

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

I was really disappointed by GTA IV, to me it just blowed.

On the contrary I was really surprised with Saints Row 2, It was hectic, fun, and silly.

IamnotBiased
Agreed on GTA IV Couldn't stand it.. bring on Red Dead!
jbarry89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 jbarry89
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts
For me, my biggest disappointment was Resonance of Fate - To me, it felt like a carbon copy of enchanted arms with some nifty new features, and if I wanted to get the Koei "_______ Warriors X" Experience, I'd go out there and repurchase a copy of Dynasty Warriors 6. On the other hand, my biggest surprise was at the success of Borderlands, where I personally felt that it's other Shooter RPG predecessors had failed (Mass Effect, Fallout, and other critically acclaimed games.)
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Biggest Disappointment- Bad Company 2
MountainManQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MountainManQ
Member since 2010 • 130 Posts

i just started borderlands and have to say that am unexpectedly greatly enjoying it. my disappointmment by far was gta iv. i just thought it was very repetitive and didnt enjoy it at all. i guess those types of games just arent for me, thats why i wont be buying RDR either.

NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts
biggest surprise: assassin's creed 2. i never thought of buying it since the first assassin's creed was boring and repetetive. however, i bought it right after release, and i'm glad i did. biggest disappointment: splinter cell conviction, yes i've said it! gimme my old glasses back and the awsome moves!
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Biggest Surprise: Mass Effect, I knew this game would be good,l but I didn't know it would be THAT good... Dead Space... Biggest Disappointment: In a heartbeat, I'd have to say Halo 3: ODST.