Big Non- HD TV or Small HD TV, which would you rather play on.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ratboy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ratboy64
Member since 2007 • 406 Posts
I have an old giant tv from like the prehistoric 80s, and the pictures good but i want to see HD graphics. Should I buy a small HD TV?
Maxsimus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Maxsimus_basic
Member since 2002 • 85 Posts
now i dont know what you mean by small. But i would ALLWAYS take HD over SDTV. The difference is enourmous
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
Member since 2006 • 2465 Posts
Go for small, a lot of text in games is hard to read on big sd tvs.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

sdtv is still good, but once u had it on a pc screen or a hdtv ya big ass wooden box 80s tv will soon become redundant games wise.

i cudnt afford a hdtv, so was on my sdtv for a few weeks, got the vga cable and it was mint on my 17" pc 4:3 monitor, i cashed in my change bottle and got sick of counting at 300 pounds so thought id get a new monitor or hd tv. had a look and for the money u spend ur going to get a better screen in terms of higher resoloutions from a pc monitor. so i got from argos a 22" acer widescreen monitor, going upto around/rougly 1660 x 1000 and covers all the widescreen resoloutions as well bar the big 1900 x 1080 one. picture looks great like the 17" monitor. and to make up for the smaller screens than the big old tvs i just have a coffee table to put the monitor on so ur up close and personal. and no matter what monitor ya use as long as u can crank up the resoloution being right up close ur going to see so much detail ya will be amazed and wont use ur old tv for ur xbox again.. i was 1st like sdtv all da way, but once i had a taste on the vga lead never went back

stolz1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stolz1975
Member since 2005 • 422 Posts
go with the hd tv and get rid of that dinasour
Gualoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gualoh
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

I honestly can't see the difference between HD and regular TVs. I have a 32" 720x480 Insignia LCD and to me it looks just as good as my brother's 42" 1080p Samsung LCD with all the bells and whistles. My older brother has a 52" 1080 Sony plasma something, same.

I would def. recommend looking at the actual units you are thinking about buying and go from there. Make sure the changes in resolutions are worth the price increase. Also, LCDs and Plasmas are MUCH brighter than your box TV. Keep that in mind. If you play in an incredibly dark area you might also invest in a lamp or soft light to go in the corner. Or, get to know a good Optometrist.

Also consider that Plasma TVs have a glass screen and many have the shiny black frame (glare), while LCDs have the plastic filmy cover. Again, go look. Decide for youself.

Jerrad

Headhunter01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Headhunter01
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
go for the "small" HDTV. you can always sit closer
Avatar image for rougewarrior198
rougewarrior198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 rougewarrior198
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
I have a 20 inch Toshiba HDTV and it is awesome. I actually think it looks sharper than some big HDTV's. Just get a small one, and you will not regret it.
technochien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 technochien
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
i use a 20" LCD widescreen monitor, and it works just fine. Resolution is at 1650x1050
jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts

Go for small, a lot of text in games is hard to read on big sd tvs.Neontope

He's right, just try playing Dead Rising on that thing, you won't know what the heck is going on.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
HD
pjhtiger44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pjhtiger44
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
small hd
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
I honestly can't see the difference between HD and regular TVs. I have a 32" 720x480 Insignia LCD and to me it looks just as good as my brother's 42" 1080p Samsung LCD with all the bells and whistles. My older brother has a 52" 1080 Sony plasma something, same.

I would def. recommend looking at the actual units you are thinking about buying and go from there. Make sure the changes in resolutions are worth the price increase. Also, LCDs and Plasmas are MUCH brighter than your box TV. Keep that in mind. If you play in an incredibly dark area you might also invest in a lamp or soft light to go in the corner. Or, get to know a good Optometrist.

Also consider that Plasma TVs have a glass screen and many have the shiny black frame (glare), while LCDs have the plastic filmy cover. Again, go look. Decide for youself.

Jerrad

Gualoh

either your brothers hdtv and xbox aint setup right (is it set to 1080 in the settings as it defaults to 480)

or his tv'sare very poor. ya can easily see the difference between them, and espieally samsung are meant to be among the best for games. sounds like if the same graphics are kicking out on all go on they xboxes, check on the settings, in display, make sure its still not in the 400s and set it to 1080, ya will be suprised how many people dont relise ya have to do this. a few of my friends had been running in 480 on they 40-50" tvs and wasnt until i got a xbox and sussed the options and had a mooch on theres and found they should of set it as 1080. as the xbox sets it on the lowest screen spec by default so u get a picture on all tvs when u turn on and u can test the different resloutions.

you should definetally see the difference as the graphics are a lot sharper. its like being on a pc and moving the resoloution up, ya soon see things sharpen up.

unless ya tv is alot better spec than ya think, otherwise they should be a real difference if its setup correctly, if ya cant see it maybe ya need some glasses coz it should be obviously much more sharp, otherwise they wudnt have much of a selling point of selling hd1080 tvs

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts

Yeah you have to make sure you change it for x box as well.

I have a 32" Samsung and you can sure as hell tell the difference from a regular tv and a HDTV.

ratboy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ratboy64
Member since 2007 • 406 Posts
Well now I am not sure. I am 14 and my mom took me to look at cars yesteray.(VW Rabbit). And I can't decide whether I should start saving up for stuff like gas. So should I save up for a small HD TV or ^That^? ( I get a full ride on the car cept for gas.)
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

Well now I am not sure. I am 14 and my mom took me to look at cars yesteray.(VW Rabbit). And I can't decide whether I should start saving up for stuff like gas. So should I save up for a small HD TV or ^That^? ( I get a full ride on the car cept for gas.)ratboy64

well, i don't see why you'd save your money for gas, just get a job when ur 16

vin_ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vin_ke
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts

How about this one? Please check the specs. Would it be a good choice?

http://www.toshiba.com.my/product/product_details.jsp?productid=24HV10

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

hd any day. the amount of detail you see PWNS no matter how SD big you go. T.V's getting cheaper by the day. You can get a nice smart t.vs for about $250. OR you can skip the smart t.vs (IF i could go back i get one) my mother got 2 of these (bedroom & computer room) I find them nice, They have tons of app's on them tons of movie app's some are free some are paid services like vudo, netflix ect but free ones are from channel providers(abc, fox, ect)

i can't post link because link has "forbiddin word " in it lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=NSX24GT1&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=NSX24GT1+hh+gregg&pbx=1&oq=NSX24GT1+hh+gregg&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=369628l373153l0l373443l9l9l0l0l0l0l320l1653l0.6.2.1l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=53103a27a694d4e3&biw=1920&bih=907

Don't go no best buy ect, I suggest hh&gregg, There prices match others store but you can talk to the sales rep and get them lower the price little.

ALSO the price of sizes of t.v around 20ich -32 is around the same level, SO look at 32 if your trying get the biggest you can. I CAN NOT speak of how that model plays games as i never hooked up my system to them. ALSO let you know sadly t.vs now days are not the same. i have heard of t.vs lag issues ect. My t.v when i first hooked up my xbox. The lag was bad even on "game mode". I had to go in the settings and play around quite a bit.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Jerrad

Gualoh
Depending How your viewing. 720p vs 1080 isn't going matter. If your still without HD channles, DVDs, xbox, ect your not going see much change.
wolfbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 wolfbm
Member since 2002 • 630 Posts
We play our 360 in our bedroom on a 60" LG LCD and have a 42" plasma downstairs on our 360 elite. After being on the 60 the 42 seems to small so bigger can get you spoiled. At one time before we bought our 60 we rented a 72" mitzubishi projection tv for a party and after our week rental was up we were more than happy to give it up due to the picture being so fuzzy. So for your question I would go with the small LCD because quality is sometimes better than size.
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

I could never go back to standard def.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

HD is def. gorgeous compared to regular. Go with a 32" it's not big but it's not small either.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

HD over SD tv.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
But i would ALLWAYS take HD over SDTV. The difference is enourmousMaxsimus_basic
Same for me. It is so hard to even go back to non-HD signals, let alone TV's at this point. ...just watch a football game on ESPN versus ESPN HD to see the difference