Best Buy's X360 warranty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaikaiDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SaikaiDreams
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts

Has anyone else had to deal with Best Buy's warranty stuff? My 360's disc drive fails to open 50% of the time; I often have to push it with varying pressures for about 5 minutes to get it to open up. On top of this, increasingly, "the disc is unreadable" has become an issue. About every other play session, I'll be playing a game, then I can hear the disc stop reading, start making a clicking noise, then 10 seconds later: "The disc is unreadable."

Best Buy says they will cover this, over the phone they're just like, "oh sure, if you have the plan, just bring it on in and we'll fix you right up with a new Xbox 360!" They make it sound so easy, but I know that's probably going to be a load of crap...For one, their thing says, "This plan does not cover 'no problem found' diagnosis." Given the incompetence I've seen at Best Buy over the years, I just know they're going to look at it, and my 360 will be having a good day, and the tray will open fine/play games fine. I mean, the problem doesn't really occur until you've been playing like an hour or so...I just have a bad feeling about this.

I assume they aren't going to have the courtsey to transfer data off the hard drive for me, so I'll have to get an external memory unit I suppose...

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

First of all, if you talk to bestbuy over the phone, then you probably have talked to their customer service people. Some of them do not even know what xbox 360 really is. (I used to work there.)

Bestbuy will just replace your xbox 360. They do not even try to fix them. This is great because if xbox 360 breaks, then Bestbuy will just give you a brand new xbox 360. You will not get any refurbish ones. And you have a good chance of getting cooler, quiter and better xbox 360.

However, the bad thing about bestbuy warranty is that you will lose all of your data in your hard-drive. They do not transfer.

Also, once you use your replacement warranty, then that's it. They will ask you to buy another warranty.

Microsoft covers your xbox360 up to 3 years for your RROD, and 1 year for anything that happens to it. (Except physical damage)

I suggest you not to get warranty from bestbuy at all. If you are not willing to wait your xbox 360 to be repaired for 3-4 weeks, then go get bestbuy warranty.

SaikaiDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaikaiDreams
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts
Hey thanks, good info.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts
I got the warranty just so I could play the 360, then get a gift card when it breaks (made sure to get one when they were still really crappy). Just got my $423.99 gift card in the mail yesterday:) Since I hear they have improved quality, I'm not sure if I would try my luck.