Army of Two review inaccurate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flairlend_l337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Flairlend_l337
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts
Ok I do not trust Gamespot anymore. Why? Just look at the review for Army of Two. It deserves much better then that. Yeah I get that some people may not have liked it as much as others but a 6.5?! Yeah I know, I'm venting but what do you guys think? Is this an accurate review or does it deserve better?
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
Someone here brought up a point that actually makes sense, the reason they scored it a 6.5 taking the miltary's side is because there's ad's supporting the army. GS is getting paid for these ads and if they didn't point it out they would probably lose the deal with them. If you look anywhere else this game is getting a 7.5-8.0 and their sites don't have these ads all over the place.
hschaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 hschaf
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
thats why gamespot posts other credible reviews. gamespot is only one opinion, when trying to look for a game you want you have to look at many different reviews and pick out what the common pros and cons are. gamespot seems to be pretty "on the ball" with their reviews. but to be honest i was very suprised to see how low they scored this game. i think its better then what they scored it.
TheConsigliere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TheConsigliere
Member since 2006 • 59 Posts
But there were Army of Two ads all over this site before it was launched.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
The game deserves a 7/10 at the very highest IMO. The game is way to short imo
AsaKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AsaKnives
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I agree, the review was incredibly harsh. A game should not be penalized for its subject matter. The reviewer goes on and on about how he disagrees with some of the game's condescending subject matter towards the army, but that should NOT be a factor in a game's rating. It's a game, therefore it should be rated on how fun it is and how well the gameplay is, not on how bad its messages are. It's like giving any GTA game a low score simply because you can brutally kill the innocent; that would be completely ridiculous and besides the major point of a GTA game which is to provide an enjoyable and immersive gaming experience. I may disagree with Army of Two's attitude towards the army, but that's not going to make me think it's a bad game whatsoever as long as I'm having fun.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yes, the review was horribly written and complained about the most ridiculous little things. I never write reviews, but I was very surprised by the way critics were reviewing Ao2, so I posted my own review, which can be found in my profile.
TENTHROW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 TENTHROW2
Member since 2002 • 1247 Posts

I've totally lost all interest in gamestop reviews after reading that. I could care less about the score really - but the reviewers blantant disrespect for professionalism by putting in personal polictal issue after another pissed me off to no end.

Game reviews are no place for a paid GAME reviewer to get up on his soapbox and preach his views on real life political views and then try to relate them to a GAME.

Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
I hate it altho i have yet to play co op
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
It is just one opinion of many.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#11 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I don't even consider that a review. He pointed out two flaws and whined for half the review about subject matter. And the way he whined about everything I don't think he even listened to anything they said.

It is just one opinion of many.

That isn't really the point. On a website like this you expect credible reviews. That review was even shorter than the game, and half of it was just plain wrong (also irrelevant to actual gameplay).

Lux_Occulta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lux_Occulta
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

who knows man, i enjoyed army of two. i enjoyed army of two so much that i beat it already 5 times, and can still find joy in it. the controls are solid, the graphics are slick, and it's playable. not only that it's fun. i don't agree with gamespot this time. and nor did i when they gave kane and lynch the same rating, i found lots of fun in that as well. who knows, i usually think gamespot is way accurate but lately, i think they've been sloppy.

army of two deserved at least a 7.5, advertisment or not.

master_spoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 master_spoon
Member since 2006 • 275 Posts
Yep, it appears Gamespot places more emphasis on a games political view point then the gameplay. Weird. With the lack of up to date reviews and poorly reviewed games, Gamespot has offically jumped the shark.
Armor_Biff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Armor_Biff
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts
A Swedish gamingsite had ads for Kane & Lynch and gave the game 4/10. Now few months later the site is still up and running and no reports of anyone losing their jobs.
BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
Army of Two deserves a way better score no doubt. If you played as an Army guy instead of a mercenary though, chances are the score would be VERY different.
Appljaxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Appljaxx
Member since 2003 • 83 Posts

As a paying member of this site I am upset at this reveiw for a couple of reasons.

1# Lack of substance. It looks like our freindly reveiwer got caught near a dead line and whipped out a reveiw in a few minutes. 3/4 of a page? Put some work in. Make me believe why i should continue to pay. If you don't like it fine, but put the work in.

2# Hipocracy. Killing civilians in droves in GTA? or killing terrorists in Iraq? Don't mess up my games with your political BS. This is where i go to relax and get away.

3# Lack of consistancy. Two worlds was rated higher than Ao2 game......

I found AO2 to be a well made game with a lot of polish. Controls, graphics, and gameplay were all very well done. Online play is great and even something a little new. I don't mind if the reviewer doesn't like the game, but i do disagree with his unobjective methods of evaluation. It almost sounds like he couldn't hit anything so he got mad and slammed the game. Nothing a little practice wouldn't fix.

faramel2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 faramel2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi you are right. I think it is a 7.5

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
The reviewer seemed to judge the entire game off of the fact that you play as two mercs who work for a PMC.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
Yes, the review was horribly written and complained about the most ridiculous little things. I never write reviews, but I was very surprised by the way critics were reviewing Ao2, so I posted my own review, which can be found in my profile.BioShockOwnz
great review mate. ;D
Dark_Lord777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark_Lord777
Member since 2003 • 187 Posts

IMO, there really wasn't much of a story line. I was bored through the game, except for when you had to fight "Smiley" honestly he writes that stuff?

anyway It deserved at least a 7/10

ViolentMarv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 ViolentMarv
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

gamespot was really harsh and anal with the AO2 review. id give it at least a 7-7.5. I really enjoyed the game its a delightfull break from COD4!

Flairlend_l337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Flairlend_l337
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts
I knew I wasn't the only one to feel this way, thanks for the positive feedback
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i have no problem with the score, i have a problem with what the guy says, its as if he forgot he was reviewin a game
herbie12282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 herbie12282
Member since 2002 • 2861 Posts
i think it deserves no higher than a 7 simply because the core gameplay is somewhat shallow and the campaign is short with some replay value but not a lot of it. Also there are parts of the game that just look unpolished and unimpressive.
Avatar image for Metroidmaniac88
Metroidmaniac88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Metroidmaniac88
Member since 2005 • 628 Posts
Gamespot has lost all their cred. All I can say is GiantBomb.com.
Snake_Cro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Snake_Cro
Member since 2003 • 325 Posts
bad review game deserves at least an 7.5/10
HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

The game deserves a 7/10 at the very highest IMO. The game is way to short imo kozzy1234

yea thats one reason why i think the 6.5 is a good score....the other is...and don't get me wrong i do like the game...but its just not as good as i hoped...way to short like kozzy said...u can basically just screw ur partner..whether it be an AI or real person...and just run amuck shootin around...i mean havin a partner is good...but ne one can beat it alone...which defeats the pupose of havin a partner...that just my opinion though

luc11044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 luc11044
Member since 2004 • 4606 Posts

The review is absolute garbage. I don't mind that the game has a low score. What I question is why the reviewer took a political stance when writing the review.

If Gamespot is going to review games this way, are we going to see a poor score on GTA IV because of they can't look past the violence and criminal activity???

Give me a break! Gamespot reviewers need to lighten up. Games are entertainment.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts

The review is absolute garbage. I don't mind that the game has a low score. What I question is why the reviewer took a political stance when writing the review.

If Gamespot is going to review games this way, are we going to see a poor score on GTA IV because of they can look past the violence and criminal activity???

Give me a break! Gamespot reviewers need to lighten up. Games are entertainment.

luc11044
exactly what i was sayin, the score isnt the problem, its what he said/ how he said stuff in the review, its like he forgot he was writein a review, and instead acted like he was tryin to run for office
gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I have no problem with the score. If GS would have given it a 5 I wouldn't have cared. But wether it be a 1 or a 10 the review should back it up with legitimate points. If the story is bad or offensive that's a legit point that should affect the score to some degree, but not so much that it is more important than the actual game mechanics. Basically there was insufficient information given about the actual game to justify the score even if it deserves it.

IMO it's an 8.5 and I rated it as such.

cbathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cbathe
Member since 2005 • 73 Posts

I felt that that the review was unprofessional at best and a simpering politics laced speech at worst. I seriously doubt that if this game was Grand Theft Auto or Leisure Suit Larry there would be any complaints about the overly-indulgent violence or bad sexual references from the reviewer.

Perhaps there was editorial pressure on the reviewer, but all the same the reviewer failed the acid test of "do i do my job, or do I whine like a twelve year old?"

Awful review and a sure sign of this site circling the bowl of gaming resources when it used to be at the tip of the spear. How sad.

wraught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wraught
Member since 2006 • 125 Posts

uhhh, inaccurate? its an opinion. the only way it would be inaccurate is if he lied about his opinion...so no, it wasnt inaccurate.

luc11044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 luc11044
Member since 2004 • 4606 Posts

I felt that that the review was unprofessional at best and a simpering politics laced speech at worst. I seriously doubt that if this game was Grand Theft Auto or Leisure Suit Larry there would be any complaints about the overly-indulgent violence or bad sexual references from the reviewer.

Perhaps there was editorial pressure on the reviewer, but all the same the reviewer failed the acid test of "do i do my job, or do I whine like a twelve year old?"

Awful review and a sure sign of this site circling the bowl of gaming resources when it used to be at the tip of the spear. How sad.

cbathe

I couldn't agree more and in a way, I'm hoping the GS reviewers/editors are reading these posts. We don't care about the score but don't let political opinion influence your review. This is definitely not what the readers(us), want to see. Just review the game for what it is...entertainment.