Are you a hardcore casual gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

LOL, i can see the perplexities in every ones faces, because this statement sounds like a contradiction. Anyhow, after i clarify it will be simply a paradox. I think there is two types of hardcore gamers: 1) the one who get hooked to one game for a very very long time and does not like playing a variety of games, 2) then there's the one who plays a lot of different games but really never becomes master of them all since they take a lot of dedication. Both latter and former players spend an excessive amount of time playing games, yet the former spends the time in one game and the latter spends it in a variety of different games.

Here's the thing i want to discuss, however. Obviously game capitalist know that the latter is more profitable than the former (generally speking, execptions are like games like WoW, obviosly). Therefore, how do you see the gaming industry capitalizingon both truths and where is it reflected most? I am more interested in pondering how physiclogical manipulation is utilized in the latter, for lack of a better term.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

while my gamerscore may make you think I am a casual gamer, (it is only a little over 5K) I am actually quite an intense gamer, I play all my games a LOT like every day of the week, I just only do achievement hunting rarely that is why it is so low :P

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I play a selected few more than others and there are definitely a hand full of games i could play all the time. I game fairly often to so .. not sure what i'd be classed as.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

I play more games than most people.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

LOL, i can see the perplexities in every ones faces, because this statement sounds like a contradiction. Anyhow, after i clarify it will be simply a paradox. I think there is two types of hardcore gamers: 1) the one who get hooked to one game for a very very long time and does not like playing a variety of games, 2) then there's the one who plays a lot of different games but really never becomes master of them all since they take a lot of dedication. Both latter and former players spend an excessive amount of time playing games, yet the former spends the time in one game and the latter spends it in a variety of different games.

Here's the thing i want to discuss, however. Obviously game capitalist know that the latter is more profitable than the former (generally speking, execptions are like games like WoW, obviosly). Therefore, how do you see the gaming industry capitalizingon both truths and where is it reflected most? I am more interested in pondering how physiclogical manipulation is utilized in the latter, for lack of a better term.

Trinitarian

Wow dude...did you just come from the Matrix..?? I'm going to keep my reply pretty simple, during the week my time is very limited so I'll stick to one type of game.The weekend is when I can get a little more variety in.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
??? I don't even know how to vote for your poll because you still never defined what a hardcore casual gamer is. You just stated two different types of hardcore gamers and never assigned a title for either one. But in your example, I would probably be the former. For example, now I am always playing sf4. I might change games every now and then but not for very long. Then in August, it will change to Madden. I always have a rotation of games going but one is usually in the disc drive a lot more than the otthers. There's certain multi-player games I like to try to master before moving on to the next. Because I love to dominate human opponents. Then I would have a single-player game to play on the side (ie gtaiv, saints row2, assasins creed, burnout paradise).. and yes i do realize you can play all those games in multiplayer but i usually use them for the single player mode
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Usually play every day for a couple of hours if I don't have a lot of hw or other commitments. I do try to beat a lot of my games on harder difficulties and I do go for some tough acheivements.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Hardcore Casual gamer? there are quite a few different types of hardcore...I have or had just about every console (except PS3, just play my friends), have PC and play all genre of games and I own pretty much +500 games so I'm an all rounder...I generally manage to complete now days games in a day or two...play them normally but they don't last me.
Blue_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Blue_Abyss
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

{/QUOTE} 2) then there's the one who plays a lot of different games but really never becomes master of them all since they take a lot of dedication. Both latter and former players spend an excessive amount of time playing games, interested in pondering how physiclogical manipulation is utilized in the latter, for lack of a better term.

Im that type of gamer i play a wide variety of games, but i do have my favorite series such as the MGS series.

silent_step

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 silent_step
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
I guess you could say I fall under a variation of the hardcore casual gamer. I don't play constantly but I selectively play vigorously. When I get a game in my hands that I want to play then I'll play til I've completed it, to the very core in its meaning. But I usually don't find them, only a few a year can I really say that I play completely. Otherwise I'm just casual.
martin099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 martin099
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
im so serious guys
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

In your poll, you ask an either/or question, and provide yes/no answers as responses. I'm guessing "Yes" means hardcore. Anyway, I think that gamers who dedicate themselves to a single title are rather rare. I'd imagine that most people on this forum have a couple genres they like, in which they've played a number of games.

I am more interested in pondering how physiclogical manipulation is utilized in the latter, for lack of a better term.

Trinitarian

What?

im so serious guys

martin099

What?

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I'm a hardcore gamer. That's all there is to it.

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

I play more games than most people.

PlasmaBeam44

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#16 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I guess by OP's definition I'm hard core. Iprefer playing only a few games at a time and I try to get the most out of them. Not to many games interest me any more and as of late I typically only get a new game ever couple of months. Last game I got was Halo Wars earlier this month and before that, Call of Duty World at War back in December. I might pick up some cheap games, but right now the next game I intend to get is Halo 3 ODST.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I play whatever the heck I feel like.
Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts
All I know is, I play games too much.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I play games for fun.If that means relaxing and going through a nice singleplayer story or tearing it up online.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I fit the latter description better but only that I'm pretty good at all my games. :P As for your question, I think the industry is trying to capitalize the former type. When they make a game that works, they will make a sequal, release DLC, they support the same title. So they try to hook you into a franchise which has been deemed working and milk every penny out of it. XBLA is probably something that works for the latter type. A lot of pick-up&play games. Also the "casual syndrome" gives games an easy setting that helps less skilled players the ability to play whatever they choose.
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

casual.

but that doesn't mean i play 'casual games,' i play good games that are worth it.

lyhthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lyhthegreat
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts

Does playing alot of games but completing only a few makes me a hardcore or a casual player?

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I play whatever the heck I feel like. Ghost_702
whoop whoop
dadou_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dadou_gamer
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts
I used to play everyday for long hours. When I was studying, it was easier for me to play! But now I'm playing just to relax after work. I'm too tired to play for long hours!!
StingrayA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StingrayA
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

i dunno what i would be classed as, coz on the 1 hand i hav a varierty of games and play each single player campaign and maybe a bit of multiplayer, but i will also play Call of duty 4 just for multiplayer all the time, so im kinda a bit of both.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I play many games but I still will get hooked on one game every now and then, I usually dont put a game down until I beat it and get almost all the achievements.
blowtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 blowtrees
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

My xfire profile's game history shows 62 games since I joined. That's not counting expansions.

Plus there's the 360/ps2 collection.

It is sort of an atypical view of the harcore gamer. I soppose it comes down to time dedicated to your craft. I'll play several hours a week (10+), though maybe not every day (gotta work and sleep right?).

swiftkillz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 swiftkillz0
Member since 2009 • 836 Posts
what? hardcore casual... im casual.
volcomsk83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 volcomsk83
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I find myself playing one game more than the others, however i dont limit myself to that one game. I play games based on what i want to experience. So i would say i like some variety, even if it means playing an old game.

MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrNacaa
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts

I find myself playing one game more than the others, however i dont limit myself to that one game. I play games based on what i want to experience. So i would say i like some variety, even if it means playing an old game.

volcomsk83
I go with this. I may play one more than the other, but I play plenty of different games depending on my mood.
DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
A few at a time. Right now it's in between Farcry 2 and the Sega Ulitmate Collection.
Avatar image for jorenvanleeuwen
jorenvanleeuwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jorenvanleeuwen
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts
All I know is, I play games too much. monkeymoose5000
same
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

my gamer score is nearing 10 k ,,, plus look at my collction

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

i also play too damn much

but i try to mix it up as much as i can

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i like to play all kinds of games.

enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

No, I'm a casual hardcore gamer. =P Hardcore casual registers as playing "casual" games a lot to me, casual hardcore is playing hardcore games on a small level. =P