Are some people losing the whole point of gaming becuase of achievements?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
When I buy a game, the first and sometimes the second time I go through the single player campaign is just for the fun of it. Then I go online (if available) and have some hours of fun. Then, after that process, I start worrying about achievements.

Lately I've been seeing some people that are just buying games to get the achievements points and nothing else, even if they don't like the game. IMO achievements points are great, and add a whole deal of replay value to games... but some people are just missing the fun to have some huge numbers displayed on their gamer cards. What do you guys think?
chris62492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 chris62492
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts
Obsessives.I have a few friends like this. One had gamefly and would rent so many games and just get the achievements then return them. I only have 'bout 600 even though I play GoW about 3 hrs. a day so I'm not worried about any achievements.
MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MajorSport
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts
I know what you mean. I know a guy at my school who bought a 360 and Gears the same day, went home, played a little bit, and came to school the next day proclaiming he was going to get the "Seriously..." achievement within the month (March). He doesn't play because he enjoys playing the game, he just wants all the 'chievies.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#4 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
hell naw. losing the whole point of gaming? thats too far. i just think it was bull that i played games like cars, king kong, open season, ect. just to get some points. before i would never even look at those games which was a favor to me. its okay though im done with achivements. i reached my goal (20000) i don't care anymore. i have more points then any of my friends
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Fun first first, points last.
tehsp0on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tehsp0on
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts
well i try to get the achievements as well as playing the gaming. i wouldnt be buying games i dont like just for the achievements =/ but yeah people do brag about their gamerscore lately..
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gp19
hell naw. losing the whole point of gaming? thats too far. i just think it was bull that i played games like cars, king kong, open season, ect. just to get some points. before i would never even look at those games which was a favor to me. its okay though im done with achivements. i reached my goal (20000) i don't care anymore. i have more points then any of my friendsocdog45
Seems like you were this type of person, you controlled your addiction when you hit 20,000
SpYkMo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpYkMo
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts
ikts like crack!! i even heard they have a rehab in hollywood for xbox360 achievement addiction (x360AA) thats where britnet spears is going to check in next!! spaces are going fast!!
Avatar image for CommanderKill90
CommanderKill90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CommanderKill90
Member since 2005 • 1762 Posts
points do add a reason to continue on playing after the initial story mode of a game is complete, so I like them
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
i dont buy games for achevement points but when i do buy a game I better have most of the achevements before i buy another game even if it means playing it again on harder difficulty
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
oh and i only buy games if they have good online
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#12 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Well, I usually don't like playing video games. Now I'm just not liking it while trying to get all the achievements.
texasfight54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 texasfight54
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

hell naw. losing the whole point of gaming? thats too far. i just think it was bull that i played games like cars, king kong, open season, ect. just to get some points. before i would never even look at those games which was a favor to me. its okay though im done with achivements. i reached my goal (20000) i don't care anymore. i have more points then any of my friendsocdog45

How is Open Season? My bro's buying it tomorrow. Gonna max out lol.

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
I know of several people buying games just to play them for the achievements, i personally dont care about them
zidura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zidura
Member since 2003 • 341 Posts
If you look back at early video games, almost all of them consistently had one goal: to get as many points as you could.  That was the point.  In arcades, people would proudly enter their initials on the Hi-Score list for all fellow geeks to see.  They would come back and check to see if their hi-score held up over time (unless the machine got unplugged and reset -- a tragic incident).  I remember scoring 99999 on some mini space invaders game and being very proud that the score had reached its limit.

Some people still like playing for points.  Me, I like playing games for fun and when I get an achievement I'm usually surprised and don't even know which achievement I've unlocked until I look it up.  It does add an element of accomplishment in some games and gives me a bit of a feeling of a "Hi-score" list of yesteryear.  For the majority of people, I think it adds a little fun.  Most people don't play just for achievements.  There will always be some people that just don't "get" fun.  Look at MMO's -- these people that play 10 hours or more a day just to reach whatever level before everyone else -- and then they complain that the game is boring.  Same sort of thing.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
I usually play through a game, then go back for achievements.
unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unknown-phenom
Member since 2006 • 1807 Posts

I usually play through a game, then go back for achievements.Shrapnel99

same

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
When I buy a game, the first and sometimes the second time I go through the single player campaign is just for the fun of it. Then I go online (if available) and have some hours of fun. Then, after that process, I start worrying about achievements.

Lately I've been seeing some people that are just buying games to get the achievements points and nothing else, even if they don't like the game. IMO achievements points are great, and add a whole deal of replay value to games... but some people are just missing the fun to have some huge numbers displayed on their gamer cards. What do you guys think?
gp19
A PC gamer also had the same concern. He compared achievements to WoW ebay sales. Some people can take achievements too seriously.
sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
i signed up for the achevment awards thing and ur supposed to get 1500 points by april but i havent even really been trying cause i dont like to play games and feel like im working
cougar65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cougar65
Member since 2003 • 1035 Posts
I would not saying they lose the point of gaming. The whole point of gaming is to have fun last i checked (keyword game). And part of having fun for some people is bragging. Achievements give u a measure for bragging. I enjoy getting them a lot but i would never buy a game just to get them. Once I get a game, id like to get 100%. to me, this is like unlocking all the cars in a racing game. You might not use every car in the game but u still want to have them all. People who only get games for the achievements are just plain stupid and if they feel like waisting there money, let them. I'll be over in the other room playing games for the fun of it.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gp19
i dont like to play games and feel like im workingsonofabear17
LOL
zikeria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zikeria
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts
what makes a game a game?....well...That is whole different story.

but i personally think that achievements only make games better!!!
As a matter of fact I don't think I can ever play a game again that does not include achievements.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
I think you need to take into account that some people like playing the achievement point game instead of what you consider the fun parts of a game. Personally I don't have a very high number for my achievements score, but I will say that I really like them because they take games back to the reason they used to be fun in the first place. Example, no one loved moving a little yellow circle around making it eat smaller little white dots because it was crazy fun. They did it because they were trying to get the high score... see that's the fun they were having. Same with games like galaga, galaxian and space invaders. That's what started gaming as being "fun" so you can't really knock it.

Some people just get different things out of games. In my childhood I'd suffer through some major parts of games that I thought could get pretty "not fun" just to get the high score which "was fun".

Just another way to look at it I suppose. I can see both sides.

I can honestly say that achievements in many ways is doing just the opposite of what you are saying. They make a so so game fun because they add in something that you might really enjoy (getting the high score) out of game that's not so good.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

The only games i will play for achievements are really only rented games. The only reason i do that is because i know that if a rent a game i won't buy it so i beat them (usually within 3-4 days) and for the rest of the days i have left with it i go for achievements. Now other games like ones i buy (Gears for example) i play to play and to get achievements. I mean i am going to be playing online anyway why not host 50 games or why not use the Hammer for 100 kills.

I don't go way out of my way to get achievements (on certain ones i do like for PDZ... i love the game and the biggest reason i play it now is to get achievements because i have Gears for more fun). But if the achievements are there and i am going to be playing then why not.

Sig12047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sig12047
Member since 2004 • 4194 Posts
You get a lot of them just by playing normally, so I dont think that it is a problem.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gp19
I'm sensing a little misunderstanding here... I didn't mean getting achievements was bad, just that some people are spending money and time in games they don't even like to get their gamerscore up.
Joeker501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Joeker501
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts

I wouldn't have played half the games I did if it weren't for the achievements. I find the achievements fun, and if I like the game I will play for them later, but otherwise I will go right for the points. Still fun to do, especially if you are competing with friends.

Edit:  Getting your gamescore up is fun for some.

Synapse720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Synapse720
Member since 2002 • 189 Posts

The pursuit of achievement points has led me to experience facets of individual games and entire game genres that would've otherwise went unexplored.  Achievements have revitalized the hobby for me.

Those who bypass the actual playing of games merely to acquire points (those who use others' game saves to increase their gamer score) are the only ones who are missing "the whole point."

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gp19
Ok, really people... I need you to read my initial post, so you don't end up agreeing with me using different words.
ivanivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ivanivan
Member since 2003 • 1644 Posts
I just play the game and if the achievenments come then that's cool but i don't go around looking for them.
Synapse720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Synapse720

Ok, really people... I need you to read my initial post, so you don't end up agreeing with me using different words.gp19

Your original post doesn't offer an opening into any sort of discussion outside of whether or not so-called achievement whores are gaming for points rather than for fun, for an escape.  You asked for opinions and that's what you're getting.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where you expected the discussion to go.

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gp19

[QUOTE="gp19"]Ok, really people... I need you to read my initial post, so you don't end up agreeing with me using different words.Synapse720

Your original post doesn't offer an opening into any sort of discussion outside of whether or not so-called achievement whores are gaming for points rather than for fun, for an escape. You asked for opinions and that's what you're getting.

Heheh, you seem pretty upset, but here's an example of the kind of attitude i'm criticizing: "I want to get my gamerscore up, any suggestions on a game I can get 1000 points real fast?". It has been posted like a 100 times. Another example (personal xbox live conversation): "Ok people, here's what we gonna do: the other team is going to stay still so we can kill them, then we have to do the same thing until we all get this achievement". Those 2 examples sumarize my point of view.
Synapse720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Synapse720
[QUOTE="Synapse720"]

[QUOTE="gp19"]Ok, really people... I need you to read my initial post, so you don't end up agreeing with me using different words.gp19

Your original post doesn't offer an opening into any sort of discussion outside of whether or not so-called achievement whores are gaming for points rather than for fun, for an escape. You asked for opinions and that's what you're getting.

Heheh, you seem pretty upset, but here's an example of the kind of attitude i'm criticizing: "I want to get my gamerscore up, any suggestions on a game I can get 1000 points real fast?". It has been posted like a 100 times. Another example (personal xbox live conversation): "Ok people, here's what we gonna do: the other team is going to stay still so we can kill them, then we have to do the same thing until we all get this achievement". Those 2 examples sumarize my point of view.

I'm not upset.  Quite the contrary.  This whole discussion is moot.

Stay in school.

lightgamet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 lightgamet
Member since 2005 • 123 Posts
I tend to ignore them because I don't really care (that's the truth:) ), but that doesn't mean I don't like checking out what kind of achievements i've won. Oh and yah I do think there is a 35% of people playing games for points - I have a friend who doesn't enjoy games now because he can't get any good points off them:(
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gp19
BUMP
froggut198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 froggut198
Member since 2005 • 1369 Posts

Well, I honestly could care less about achievements.  The only game I became an achievement whore for was Oblivion.  Basically I made it so I was always invisible and I could basically walk through every mission unharmed.  Other than that, I barely have any achievements for any games.  Just the sheer number of games I have played have added up to what I have now and I've had my xbox with XBL since launch.

But I would agree that achievements have caused some people to lose sight of true gaming.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I think it's ridiculous to game for achievement points. What do those numbers mean if you're not enjoying the experience?
Avatar image for ilplaynebody510
ilplaynebody510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ilplaynebody510
Member since 2005 • 673 Posts
Naw i usually like going to achievements after i do what i like, with a game. I'm in favor for them because it brings something to the table and trys to bring more value for your purchase
gta11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 277

#39 gta11
Member since 2004 • 2663 Posts
I have an addiction and need help lol:D:D:D
HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts
i get what u mean...i hate playin gears of war wit ppl i don't knoe...cause they all frag tag or go for the same stuff just cause they want the achievement...and they could care less bout the team...just their achievements...i hate it
RogerC44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#42 RogerC44
Member since 2006 • 2504 Posts

gp19
Probably.
elmafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 elmafia
Member since 2003 • 1490 Posts
im done with achievements when i reach my goal of 10 k, im at 8 k now. and i dont buy games for achievements i buy it for the game itself.
DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DirrtyNinja
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts
It works both ways. The lure of achievements has made me pick up some games i wudnt have otherwise bought, for example tomb raider which im now enjoying immensely.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gp19
BUMP
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#46 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
I wouldn't pick up a game for them but they are fun and addictive...I'm ticked off right now cause Prey won't give me my pts for beating it lol I didn't think I'd care but.....i want my 125 points !!!! The points have definitely kept me playing PDZ about 10x longer than I would normally tho...
nextgenmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nextgenmaster
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts
I dont find achievments to be that gratifying. If I get them I get them if not who cares. Id be more enthusiastic if I could convert them to MS points. I play the games for the experience and if the achievments play to that experience then ill get them...Crackdown is a good example of fun achievments that fit with the gameplay.
Hobbies230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Hobbies230
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts

I don't care about achievements, but when I have already had my fun with the game I go ahead and try and complete some of the more challenging ones. I can't stand people who go out and buy/rent games just to increase the number next to their name.