Are Castlevania and Enslaved just re-runs of God of War and Prince of Persia?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I was looking to get some games from ToysRUs before the sale ends Saturday. I have skipped out on these games because they look like rehashes last years action games. Yeah, the stories have changed but the game-play looks very familiar.......

Do these games offer anything new. Are they interesting or just the same old thing wrapped up in a different package?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

No, they are not.

I'll just put that out there.

Although I'm what you may call not creditable because I've only played the Demos of each game.

BlackendV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BlackendV
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
Even if they were, isn't it better to copy a good game rather than a crap one. Both are good games but if you'd prefer just playthrough God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Videodogg
Even if they were, isn't it better to copy a good game rather than a crap one. Both are good games but if you'd prefer just playthrough God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time.BlackendV
Thats the whole problem...i dont want to play through God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time...just with different names.
BlackendV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BlackendV
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
[QUOTE="BlackendV"]Even if they were, isn't it better to copy a good game rather than a crap one. Both are good games but if you'd prefer just playthrough God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time.Videodogg
Thats the whole problem...i dont want to play through God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time...just with different names.

They have new concepts and different themes. Both games have strong enough characters that they stand on their own. I never even thought about PoP or GoW while playing them. All games come from somewhere if you like Action/ Adventure games these are good examples. I actually prefer Castlevania over GoW.
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

[QUOTE="Videodogg"][QUOTE="BlackendV"]Even if they were, isn't it better to copy a good game rather than a crap one. Both are good games but if you'd prefer just playthrough God of War and Prince of Persia for the twentieth time.BlackendV

They have new concepts and different themes. Both games have strong enough characters that they stand on their own. I never even thought about PoP or GoW while playing them. All games come from somewhere if you like Action/ Adventure games these are good examples. I actually prefer Castlevania over GoW.

Yeah any hack and slash is now a god of war clone and any platformer is now a clone of prince of persia... Seriously dude just play the games and enjoy them for what they are if you dont like the genre you probably shouldn't be playing them at all aye? IMO if they do feel like prince of persia or GOW it would be a good thing...

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Copying is the greatest form of flattery.;)

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Castlevania is in no way a remake of those games.. and plus konami is behind it.. it's going to be good man.
Milad360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Milad360
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts
God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda.UT_Wrestler
Nope!You are wrong ----------------------- did you ever hear about genres?!
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I dont know about you but Enslaved will probably be the only game I buy in 2010 from here on out. I really enjoyed the demo. I'm only excited about first quarter 2011, especially January (Dead Space 2).
disqobandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 disqobandit
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The consensus Ive been getting is that Castlevania is worth picking up if you like the genre. As for enslaved, havent talked to anyone whos played it but from what Ive read in magazines it didnt quite deliver. Games being similar isnt really a good reason not to play them. certainly doesnt stop them from releasing another f**king call of doody every year.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda.Milad360

prove it.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Well personally I don't think Castlevania is anything like GOW, maybe the controls are similar, but heck a lot of games use the same kind of controls. You know X button attack, Y button super attack etc. GOW didn't invent it.

Enslaved is nothing like Prince of Persia, and I'd highly recommend it. The game is a lot of fun. It's no more like POP than Uncharted is. I mean all three games have you climbing up stuff and swinging off stuff, but that's where the similarities end.

Both games are really good, and well worth the price. Better yet grab them both at Target this week and get a free game to go with them.

Milad360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Milad360
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

[QUOTE="Milad360"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda.edinsftw

prove it.

the first prince of persia realized in 1989 that simple
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Videodogg

old thread....

but i did buy these games and ended up really liking both of them. They are nothing like God of War or Prince of Persia. That is the danger of demo's, they can give you the wrong impression.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Well personally I don't think Castlevania is anything like GOW, maybe the controls are similar, but heck a lot of games use the same kind of controls. You know X button attack, Y button super attack etc. GOW didn't invent it.

Enslaved is nothing like Prince of Persia, and I'd highly recommend it. The game is a lot of fun. It's no more like POP than Uncharted is. I mean all three games have you climbing up stuff and swinging off stuff, but that's where the similarities end.

Both games are really good, and well worth the price. Better yet grab them both at Target this week and get a free game to go with them.

coasterguy65
I totally agree about the Enslaved part. Never played Castlevania as I didn't like the demo but Enslaved was an awesome game OP. Play it on hard ;)
den1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 den1233
Member since 2005 • 601 Posts

If there compied styles from good games that you liked than why not get it. You wouldnt say im not getting god of war 3 becasue all it is is a re-run of god of war 2. there good games and you should at least give it a rent to see if you like them.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

I dont know about you but Enslaved will probably be the only game I buy in 2010 from here on out. I really enjoyed the demo. I'm only excited about first quarter 2011, especially January (Dead Space 2).Elann2008

I didn't care for the demo. I thought it was meh.

Overall the game picks up after chapter 2 so I'm sure you are going to love it.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#20 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
Castlevania does borrow alot from God of War but it has its own feel to the game,its worth checking it out
The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

Glad I never played god of war to avoid this apparent syndrome. Seriously, has no one ever heard of genres? Why is it a surprise when action games are similar to action games or shooters are similar to shooters. Is it a bad thing to borrow from greatness for inspiration? I mean I agree I don't want to play the same regurgitated garbage from years past either, but these games clearly stand out on their own in the genre without being a prolouge, epilogue, double sequels.

Enforcer246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Enforcer246
Member since 2008 • 601 Posts

I hate when people **** (rhymes with snitch) about games that don't reinvent the wheel.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Every game has features that were copied from other games. Thats how great games are made. One game creates a cool feature, and the next game perfects it.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

tekken 6 is just a re-run of street fighter 2

AngelBeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 AngelBeeps
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts
I have not played Enslaved but I've played Lords of Shadow. My thoughts, while the combat system and boss battles are fairly similar to God of War, I'd say it does stand out quite a bit. The graphical art style is very pleasing, the storyline is deep and full of twists and turns, everything you would expect from a fantasy action/adventure title is there. However if you, like myself, are a Castlevania veteran, having played and enjoyed the series while it was still on cartridges in the 80s and early 90s through to the later DS instalments, you may want to pretend you aren't playing a Castlevania title to avoid the disappointments that are the soundtrack and continuity errors in relation to the rest of the series. I understand that LOS is a non-canon game but the twist after the credits were done rolling, as epic as it was to watch, ended up making my brain hurt. To stop the soundtrack disappointment I just popped a bunch of orchestrated classic Castlevania tracks I found floating around on the interwebs onto a USB drive and had those playing on the 360 after a while, but the lack of variety in the soundtrack was driving me nuts, every track sounded identical. But even with these two negative points I have with the game, it is definately worth a look into, it manages to be a lot more than just this whole "God of War rip off" that people like to keep chanting, on that note may I remind you that the God of War series are hardly and original games anyway, everything has been done a million times now, it's hard for anything to be classed as completely original. But yes, back to the main subject, definitely give Lords of Shadow a play, it's definitely a challenging title and well worth picking up, just scribble out the word Castlevania on the box :p (oh and if you wanna see something cool, try out the Konami code during Patrick Stewart's beginning of stage narrations and enjoy a tiny Simon Belmont in the corner of your screen)
Anthrizacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Anthrizacks
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
God of War ripped off Devil May Cry (gameplay), Castlevania (chained weapon), and Shenmue (Quick time events). I'm sick of people saying Castlevania: LoS ripped off modern action titles when A) the titles in question are also derivative and B) Castlevania has been around since the 80's. Castlevania does not actually play like God of War at all unless you consider the chained weapon that Konami invented in the 80's.
AngelBeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AngelBeeps
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts
God of War ripped off Devil May Cry (gameplay), Castlevania (chained weapon), and Shenmue (Quick time events). I'm sick of people saying Castlevania: LoS ripped off modern action titles when A) the titles in question are also derivative and B) Castlevania has been around since the 80's. Castlevania does not actually play like God of War at all unless you consider the chained weapon that Konami invented in the 80's.Anthrizacks
This. Though naturally when the series braves going into 3D (like in Lords of Shadow) it does pinch a few elements from other series, but then that's just the modern video gaming age, where pretty much everything has been done a million times, hence why todays consoles seem to be based more on what the console can do rather than the games themselves.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

Lords of Shadow is a God of War clone, but the game definitely looks great. The visuals are the only thing it has going for it. The combat felt way too much like GoW, and the platforming was one of the worst things about the game. Also the SotC wanna be fights were poor. Not like any action game has a worthwhile story, but after hearing praise for the plot in this game I was disappointed.

Enslaved had overly simplistic combat, and was pretty basic overall. I felt the game tackled platforming in an action game pretty well though. The game also had an enjoyable plot, the ending is what really comes to mind, but I hated the third protagonist they introduce later on. I've never played the 3D PoP's so I couldn't tell you if it was a repeat, but both titles were pretty mediocre.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda.UT_Wrestler

I really don't see how.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Lords of Shadow is a God of War clone, but the game definitely looks great. The visuals are the only thing it has going for it. The combat felt way too much like GoW, and the platforming was one of the worst things about the game. Also the SotC wanna be fights were poor. Not like any action game has a worthwhile story, but after hearing praise for the plot in this game I was disappointed.

Enslaved had overly simplistic combat, and was pretty basic overall. I felt the game tackled platforming in an action game pretty well though. The game also had an enjoyable plot, the ending is what really comes to mind, but I hated the third protagonist they introduce later on. I've never played the 3D PoP's so I couldn't tell you if it was a repeat, but both titles were pretty mediocre.

krunkfu2

The story on Lords of Shadow is pathetic.

And the "old friend" phrase is said way too much without any meaning. They just met, don't really care one for the other and still they call themselves "old friend", I cannot stand it. The idea behind the phrase is good but not implemented at all.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

_TheJoker_

Only got halfway through and stopped playing,bad game overall.Enslaved on the other hand,played it from start to finish over a few days...Great game.Enslaved actually reminded me of Uncharted 2 in a few ways...and that was fine with me.You can never have too much of a good thing.:D

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts
its called a genre. They are the same genre, yes.
xMarex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xMarex
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]God of War is just a re-run of Devil May Cry, and Prince of Persia is just a re-run of Zelda._TheJoker_

I really don't see how.

Pretty sure he was just being facetious
Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

This thread was made 3 months ago, I dont see why you guys need to bump old threads.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

even if they did copy them...they are both amazing games :D

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts
enslaved is a supreme game.... it is not a remake of anything, and has a very unique storyline.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

[QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

_TheJoker_

And the "old friend" phrase is said way too much without any meaning. They just met, don't really care one for the other and still they call themselves "old friend", I cannot stand it. The idea behind the phrase is good but not implemented at all.

Yea it was pretty shabby. I also hate how they say Gabriel PLUNGED HIMSELF INTO DARKNESS AND BECAME SO EVIL, when the entire game he's fighting these monsters to save his beloved, he's not trying to quench a bloodlust or anything, and the worst thing he did was murder that psychic girl unconsciously.