April/May 2015 review contest - FPS games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Hi all,

So the last review contest is over and we have our winner. Today we start the new contest and I am making a few tweaks to the rules.

For starters the review contest is for:

"Any Xbox Original, Xbox 360, or Xbox One First Person shooter game or series". So for example, you could review Battlefield Bad Company, or all the Halo games (from the first person games, so no Halo Wars).

The rules are:

1). The minimum word count is 200 words and the maximum is 1000 words. You can be anywhere between these two to be considered for the contest. Anything above or bellow the range on offer will not be considered but can be posted here just to allow discussion. Also, we will contact you if your review is above or bellow the range to give you opportunity to edit the review to meet the word count (but a reasonable time frame will be enforced, so if you post the review on the last day of the contest, we can not hold it open for 5 months for you to edit it).

2). Your review must be your own. No copy and paste jobs with minor edits from other web sites.

3). Your review is yours, so it can be as positive, negative, or neutral as you wish. However, you must back up your views. For example if you don't like Halo, that's fine, but say why. It gets discussion going.

4). Your reviews must be submitted in one or both of two forms:

A). Posted bellow so all users here can see it, but your entry will be seen as the original, and anybody who copies it and makes minor edits will not be accepted into the contest.

B). A private message via the PM system to myself AND @BattleSpectre.

When you submit your review, its on the understanding we can publish the winning review for all to see. We can offer feedback to you if you want our views on it (in terms of aiding you make a better review through edits or for further contests), but this is optional and if you do not want our feedback that is fine. Also, we will be sharing this information with our Community Manager, @DigitalDame.

Finally, this contest is for honour. We have no monetary or other prizes to offer, but this is for fun and to share our views with our fellow users.

The date this contest ends is 17th May 2015 around 12pm time in the UK (so midnight). However late submissions may be entered at our discretion (given the different time zones) but something submitted days late would not be entered in the interest of fairness.

TLDR: Post a review minimum 200 words maximum 1000 words on this thread for an FPS game or series that is playable on any Xbox console (through legal means). Do it before Monday May 18th,

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 garfield360uk

Just a heads up, there is one week left to submit entries. Anybody going to step up to the plate?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garfield360uk

One more day to go, any entries at all?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Come on people, everyone wants Gamespot to be a better place right? Especially the Xbox section because it's numbers have dwindled over the past few years, and Garfield and I are trying to get the community more involved by creating these little contests, and ideas. I've seen quite a few people posting over the past few days, surely someone would like to review their favourite FPS game(s)? If not how about you shoot either Garfield or myself a PM and tell us what you'd like to see to help boost the community and get everyone participating again.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 garfield360uk

Just a heads up, the deadline has been extended by one week. So this Monday (25th May) will be the closing day. We have had entries but would love to see some more!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

DOOM 3 Xbox [original] review remake.

This is the first review I've ever written, so I hope you'd excuse me if the article would look too "unprofessionally written". Also, I've never played the PC version cause I didn't had a PC back then, so I won't be able to make any comparisons. The good thing about this, though, is that I'd be able to review the game based on its own merits.

Doom 3, as you may already know, is a retelling of the first game. So you could consider it as a remake than a sequel, No complaints here, since the first Doom, and eventually its sequel, is regarded with a god-like status in the gaming community. And like Bourne Identity, the remake is absolutely better than the original. The game is set in the future in a UAC research facility on Mars. You were sent there, along with other marines and the Councillor, to investigate UAC's current project that was having some sort of problems, like workers mysteriously disappearing, or had gone loony. Then, with no further notice, all hell breaks loose, literally. Demons suddenly sprout, annihilating almost all personnel in the facility. You stand among the survivors (eventually becoming the only one), and you have to survive long enough to send a distress signal to Earth, figure out what's going on, and save the day. That's the gist of it, and the only one you really need to know of the game's story.

Graphically, the game's simply outstanding on the XBOX. I've heard that the PC version's graphics are mind-blowing, though admittedly, but the XBOX version can stand up to its own. They've made very good use of lighting effects (and the lack of light, thereof) to add to the game's thrilling aura. Frame rate has also been consistent throughout the game, so much so that if there were any sort slowdown, I failed to notice it. I don't believe it to have the best graphics on the console (as I find Halo 2's better), but is among the top.

The game excels in the sound area as well. Sound effect, especially the armaments, are crisp and quite realistic. Every blast and pump of lead really adds up to your adrenaline, making the game more exciting. Couple it with the techno-rock background, and you're in one hell of a ride (pun not intended). You'd also benefit the most when you're in a surround sound set-up. The game has a lot of dark areas, with lots of enemies lurking, and the only way to spot them is to either use the flashlight in every corner in the room, or to use the grunts and other sounds made by the enemies to have a clue to their location. Yup, you'll be able to discern where the sound is coming from, and even discern whether they're near or far. Most hell spawns will hiss before attacking, so figuring out where they are wouldn't be much of a problem. And trust me, it's spine-tingling to hear a hiss at the back in a very dark room.

The gameplay stays true to what you've come to know and love in the genre (something which the series has pioneered, by the way, and had been copied by countless other "me too" titles for over a decade now). So there really isn't anything new that you haven't seen before in other FPS games, but they're entitled to it as this is the game that made the genre to begin with. It's common knowledge that FPS aren't really meant for a gamepad, but id was able to handle it pretty well for this game. There's a auto-assist aiming much like the one implemented in the Halo series, and it works very well. Cycling through your weapons is a chore, however, and it quite daunting that you're only able to map up to four weapons in the D-Pad for quick selection. Then again, this is a D-pad limitation, and a quick selection is better than none. It is also quite frustrating at times when you have to quickly change from flashlight to your weapon in some of the darker areas. This set-up, understandably, adds to the chill factor of the game, as you panic to quickly switch to your shotgun to pump lead to a zombie or hell spawn quickly approaching. But still, you'd still wish you could stick that darn light to your shotgun, or something. Don't even think marines wouldn't think of doing just that, especially when you take into consideration that the story-line's in a future setting. At least the PC version had a "duct tape" mod that attaches your flashlight to some of your weapons.

Also, this is quite a challenging game. You'd always find yourself either frantically looking for an ammo or health pack; and though there's actually ample supply in every stage, it still feels like there isn't quite enough. Luckily, the game incorporates a save anywhere feature, and I'd advise you to use it often because you're liable to die often. Even still, for some odd reason, you'd never feel the game's cheating on you. Also, enemy placements are constant. So if you repeat that certain level, you'll be assured where your enemies'll be coming from. Boss battles pack quite a wallop as well, and is quire rewarding if you were able to defeat them. Also, as opposed to other games, defeating the bosses do not automatically break the game's pace because hell spawn will attack you almost immediately once you're though with the larger threat. Almost too often, I'd die in the hands of these "lesser" spawns after defeating the stage "boss". It's how challenging this game is, and this is how much I'd stress that you SAVE.

But no matter how hard the game becomes, it's still quite satisfying and addicting to blow your enemies up to smithereens. Using the BFG is as thrilling today as it was then. My hat's off to id software for making a game that feels almost new, yet staying true to its roots. This is the way all remakes should be.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garfield360uk

Due to unforeseen circumstances, one of the judges will not be available for the end of this contest extension. Given that factor, I will extend this contest until Sunday (31st May). At that point the contest will stop accepting entries. Anybody who has submitted an entry so far may ask for feedback so they can resubmit if they wish to given the two week extension over the original closing date (to make it fair to all those who have made the original and first extension).

Thank you.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Glad to say I am back, unfortunately my computer had a faulty HDD and that caused my computer not to boot. Anyways It's all fixed now and Garfield and I will read the submissions and get back to those of you who entered =].

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 garfield360uk

Ok, all the entries are in. The winner will be declared at a none too distant point (hopefully) after discussions over the entries occur.

I am locking this thread for the time being and will reopen it when a winner is declared and discussion of entries can occur then.

Thank you to all those who took part.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 garfield360uk

And the winner is...... (drum roll please):

@xmeleonblue for this entry for Far Cry Blood Dragon.

I bought Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon on the strength of my love for the main game, Far Cry 3. I went into the game blind. So when I saw the VCR tracking came up on the screen after it loaded I figured that I might have an odd game on my hands. Then entered the protagonist, Rex “Power” Colt, a cyber commando. The first 16-bit cut scence conveyed that I was about to engage in a hilarious endeavor. Mowing down countless cyborgs with a machine gun as Little Richards’ “Long Tall Sally” played was an absolutely perfect way to begin the game. I was certainly “having some fun tonight”, as the song implied.

What makes Blood Dragon special is the overwhelming sense of nostalgia you'll feel while playing it. Blood Dragon has an incredible soundtrack that just may give you warm fuzzy feelings if you were a kid in the ‘80s. “Friends (Forever)” by Dragon Sound playing during the beginning of the game and “War” from the Rocky IV soundtrack playing during the final boss sequence are nice bookends to the overall auditory experience in Blood Dragon. The sounds of the electric guitars, electronic keyboards, and synthesizers during cutscene and missions add to the immersion while playing the game.

So what's the game about? Well its about Sergeant Rex “Power” Colt’s attempting to save the world. He died as a result of war combat but was brought back to life using technology that made him equal parts man and machine. He served in the armed forces under the command of Colonel Sloan, who now leads the nefarious Omega Force. The Colonel went rogue and began performing experiments on humans using the blood of Blood Dragons. This turned the human subjects into zombies called the “running dead”. The Colonel also had plans to use the blood of Blood Dragons to make humanity extinct through weaponized munitions.

Blood Dragon is a great game. Although in my opinion, the weakest part of this game is Colonel Sloan’s motivation for wanting to destroy the world and bring about a second pre-historic era. His hatred of government (i.e. political parties) and the condition of their dystopian world doesn't seem like a proper motivation to want to destroy the world. However, I realize that he's an over-the-top ‘80s inspired villian so him being logical and making sense—doesn’t make sense. Blood Dragon is all about stopping a mad man and wreaking havoc on his minions.

Because this game is based on ‘80s action movies, the dialogue is cheesy, somtimes bad. It even inspires laughter, which I’m sure was their aim. It was refreshing to play a game that doesn't take itself too seriously. During the tutorial they took the time to point out the ridiculousness of tutorial tips through short quips. The tongue-in-cheek humor continued with voice overs from the public announcer. I found her references to common first person shooter tropes entertaining. Few first person shooter campaigns allow you to engage in this much unbridled fun. Ultimately you’re pushed towards a traditional linear path that doesn’t leave much room for deviation in an annualized FPS.

Initially I wasn’t a fan of the neon color palette and it took a while to get used to it. But it fits with the overall feel of the game. The colors in the environment truly make you feel as if you’re living in a dystopian future as the result of a nuclear fallout. The game’s assets, which includes the graphics engine, are the same as Far Cry 3. The major differences are the limited weapon selection, leveling system, garrisons, and the creatures that this DLC is named after—Blood Dragons.

This DLC may not have an impressive cache of weapons like a typical fps or even the main game. However, the weapons provided are quite powerful and fun to use. My favorite was the Terror 4000. It's a minigun with seemingly unlimited power. The use of the minigun plays into the idea of being an '80's action hero. My other favorite weapon was the Killstar. It's an arm laser cannon that you get later in the game. It obliterates everything in its path. It may even be slightly overpowered. The Fazerton and Kobracon initially appear to be very basic weapons however once you fully upgrade them, they will shoot deadly laser beams and explosive rounds, respectively.

Whereas the main game had a robust skill tree and leveling system, Blood Dragon’s leveling was more simplified. In the main game there were three skill trees. The Heron focused on long range attacks and mobility. The Spider, as the namesake might suggest, focused on stealth and survival. Lastly the Shark dealt with close combat and healing. The main game had an rpg-like element. However, in Blood Dragon your skills are granted automatically as your level increases. For example every two levels (e.g 2,4,6,8 etc.) you get an increase in your health bar. You also automatically gain abilities such as quick reload, easier takedowns, and faster health regeneration.

The garrisons in this game differ from the outposts in the main game because they are multilayered and require more strategy to overtake them. One effective and entertaining strategy that I found was stealthily shutting down a garrison’s defenses and throwing in a couple cyber-hearts to attract the highly dangerous Blood Dragon. I’d watch as mayhem ensued when they were attacked by Blood Dragons. While this is fun for a couple of times, it's more rewarding to eliminate the enemies on your own.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is one of my favorite first person shooters and the best piece of DLC that I've ever bought. It was definitely worth the $14.99 (USD) that I paid 2 years ago for this game. It wasn't perfect but it was an incredibly fun experience. An experience in which I found myself laughing often. I would rate this game as great and recommend picking it up on PC or if you still own a last generation console.

Congratulations to Xmeleonblue for being the winner of our FPS Review contest. I would also like to apologise for the delay in announcing the result. Due to complications with people being away and E3 the contest got delayed. We will strive to do better in the next contest which hopefully will be announced soon (discussions are taking place on this).

Thank you for the entries and hopefully we can have a bigger turn out next time!

If any of you have suggestions for how to promote this, what we could do different, or what you want to see be a category for the reviews, please feel free to either leave a comment bellow or send a PM to @BattleSpectre and myself @Garfield360UK.

Thank you.

XmeleonBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 XmeleonBlue
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

Awesome! Thanks!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts