Anyone used the XFPS Pro Mouse/Keyboard thing for 360 yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chakan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 chakan2
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

Hi All,

I've been interested in grabbing a mouse/keyboard converter for my 360 and ran across the XFPS 360. It got pretty medocure reviews so I've been hesitant to grab one (it will end up costing me around 140 since I need the controller too). However, it looks like there's a Pro version that has better control over the mouse sensitivity. Has anyone used the Pro version yet? Good/Bad?

dick91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dick91
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Is this compatible with any of the RTS games on 360?
chakan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 chakan2
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

From what I've heard about it, maybe, but the mouse control on the original one sucks. So it wouldn't compare to playing on a PC. I was hoping the new version would have fixed some of those problems.

zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 zacm
Member since 2002 • 28 Posts

Hey Everybody,

I just 'bit the bullet' and got one. I only got to use it with the Bioshock demo very briefly so far....

QUICK NOTE: I'm using a standard PS/2 keyboard with a standard PS/2 mouse (no optic - just the ball)

My immediate impressions:

First I was F@*king pissed I had to buy a 'wired' controller. I could have pre-ordered ROCK BAND for damn near what I've had to spend so far on this setup! I went with the authentic 360 controlller instead of a knock-off (ie. madcat) because you never F@*kin' know.....

I tried using the 360 wireless controller first with/without the battery but it didn't work. There's something different about the wired controller that makes it automatically activate when plugging it into the 360 instead of the wireless controller where you have to hit the XBOX button to activate it.

But once I got the wired controller things changed for the better for me.

After turning up the sensitivity on both game (Bioshock demo) and XFPS PRO I got some decent results. I would get what I'd call a bit of 'drift' when aiming with the mouse. Maybe some may call it lag. Overall it didn't bug me as bad as I thought it would. I personally found the drift/lag a lot easier to deal with versus having to aim with the thumbstick. I was able to target a lot quicker than I'm used to.

I'm curious to try the setup with an optical mouse to see if there's a difference. The video on the company's website showing it in action with Halo 3 looked pretty responsive.

I'll be trying the XFPS 360 PRO on some different games over the next couple of weeks. I'll post my results/thoughts then.

So far my initial reaction has been more positive than negative. It's got some quirks but they haven't been bad enough to turn me away.

My best immediate advice would be if you're a diehard PC gamer this product might irritate you if you're used to absolute perfect aiming. If you're a console FPS player, you may find yourself finding the tiny bit of lag is totally worth it.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

I've used it, I was disappointed so I sold it on ebay a day later. It's not nearly as responsive as a PC game.

I'm talking about the Pro btw, still doesn't work all that well.

zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zacm

Alrighty folks, I just finished the Bioshock demo using the XFPS 360 PRO....

So far not too bad. I was able to adjust both the XFPS dials and the game sensitivity to get the lag down to a managable level. I was even able to make small micro movements without any lag. I would get drifting sometimes but not as bad as before. The keyboard response was pretty good too. For me it was much easier to strafe and circle.

Considering the XFPS is mimicking thumbstick movement with a mouse you're not going to get perfect results. But it does do a decent job in my opinion.

I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to bring over some FPS games to put the XFPS to the test. I'll post the results later.

QUICK NOTE: I can definitely see the XFPS 360 PRO as a 'love it or hate it' product. The biggest complaint is going to be about the lag. I going to try and make a video showing the lag in action. I'll be using 'object on screen' tracking software on both the mouse and a point-of-reference in a game to try and catch the lag/drift in action.

dave057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave057
In a FPS, could you make a slow, at least mostly steady "sweep" of the playing field without the gunsight "jumping" (could you line up a sniper shot without too much trouble)? Also, is the mouse wheel programmable (it wasn't in the first version)? I know WSAD are locked and I could live with that if they fixed these other 2 problems that made the first version a P.O.S. Thanks for your feedback! If it still sucks, I'll have to keep wishing I could connect my SmartJoy Frag from the original Xbox to the 360 (frickin' loved that thing!) as I continue to wait for someone to make a quality product. :(
zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zacm
I'm able to make semi-slow steady movements but there is a fine line when that will stop. I'm also able to program the middle button on a mouse. I just got a Logitech LX3 with side-tilting middle button and the XFPS 360 PRO wouldn't recognize the side tilt. I was hoping I could add more functionality to the mouse!
suybean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 suybean

First off, thank you zacm for taking the time to do this. I used to be very active in PC gaming back in the quake2 days. I have a copy of Halo3, and my xbox 360 is supposed to arrive in the mail today. I've been reading a lot about the xfps 360/360 pro, and I must say this would be a heavenly solution to my terrible joystick abilities.

I can almost visualize the lag you speak of, and I can see that being very, very annoying. I'm anxious to see when you put up a video to display it.

If I decide to purchase an xfps 360, I'm almost certain I'll spend the extra cash and get the xfps 360 pro. I'll probably end up getting one here even if I'm not entirely convinced. I feel like it's worth the risk based on the positive things I've heard about it so far.

F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts
its complete junk. ill sell you mine for half price if you want it. pm me.
zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zacm

I'm back with an update -

I shot the video but it didn't work like I hoped it would. Because the mouse requires little movement, the tracking data showed it barely moving while areas on the screen were moving to all the sides of the TV. I may post it but I think I'm going to try tackling the problem in a different way.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the XFPS 360 PRO a lot. For me it works great with the games I tested it with.

Now that I've spent a few weeks with the XFPS there's no way I'm going back to a controller for FPS on the 360. NO WAY. I played FPS on PC's for many years and it's far easier for me with this setup. Again it's not perfect but it's far better than the alternative for the thumbstick impaired like myself.

Dwutlenek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dwutlenek
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

If more people start using XFPS then maybe Microsoft will relaese some tool to attach mouse and keyboard easier, just to "even the chances". Becouse now, lets face it, pro player with controler will be owned badly by noob with the mouse...

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I wonder if the "lag" being reported is designed to be there to limit the advantage a keyboard & mouse player would have over a controller player.

I'm OK with a controller in FPS games and tend to have good kills:deaths, but I would rather be using a mouse.

Dwutlenek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dwutlenek
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I wonder if the "lag" being reported is designed to be there to limit the advantage a keyboard & mouse player would have over a controller player.

Avenger1324

I dont think so. XBOX doesnt know that you are using XFPS.

PhilGDUK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 PhilGDUK2
Member since 2006 • 79 Posts
as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?
jake_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jake_dog
Member since 2007 • 256 Posts

I was about to make a post asking the same question. Isn't the Pro model the second revision of this product? Isn't the latest one called the XFPS Sniper 3.0?

I'm one of those PC gamers who converted to consoles just because the cost of having an upgraded pc to play the latest and greatest games was getting a little ridiculous. When I was single, I used to buy a new gaming pc about every 2 to 2.5 years just so I could play the latest games the way they were meant to be played - with all the eye candy turned on high. Now that I'm married, my wife would have a fit if I payed $3k for a pc every other year. Anyway, I just wish Microsoft would require game developers to include some type of keyboard driver controls for every game released on their system. With true mouse and keyboard controls, I would usually finish a FPS online match in the top two spots. With a control pad, I'm nothing more than average. I miss the days of hearing someone shooting at you from behind, to turn 180 degrees in a split second and taking the enemy out before they even knew what hit them. With a controller, if someone is shooting at you from behind, you're pretty much a sitting duck by the time you actually can turn around and fire.

Yes, it would create an advantage for the mouse/keyboard players - maybe they have a server filter that separates the controller players from the mouse/keyboard players? I think it would be a huge competitive advantage if someone develops pc type mouse and keyboard response for a console. I know that I'd buy the system that offers it in a heartbeat.

zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zacm

I don't feel like it's cheating to use the XFPS because it's a contoller based peripheral and not something like 'Action replay' or 'Game Shark'. It doesn't give me invincibility or extra ammo.

Sure it makes it easier for me to aim but remember it's not quite as accurate as using a mouse on a PC. I completely agree that Microsoft should add mouse/keyboard support to the XBOX 360 or at least add it to it's next console.

Besides it's nice to PWN those loud mouth 12 year old's who never shut up when they kill you. ;)

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?PhilGDUK2

yes i think its terrible!.... if you cant use a joystick.... then dont play. dont ruin everyone elses chances by cheating and using a keyboard and mouse.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

[QUOTE="PhilGDUK2"]as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?adders99

yes i think its terrible!.... if you cant use a joystick.... then dont play. dont ruin everyone elses chances by cheating and using a keyboard and mouse.

lol, some people are too funny man... I don't need to "not play" cause I don't like a joystick. If I buy the game and want to use something like this I will. If I buy a game and decide that the best way to play it was to shove it as far up my *** as I could then I will also play it that way too. Whats it to you?

Frankly, I hope that the xbox goes the way that UT3 on the ps3 did and simply add the support right to the game.

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts
yeah they should add it, or take it away in general. Console games are suppose to be sitting on the couch games, but if everyone is using a keyboard and mouse and pwning you, nobody will be playing on their couches anymore:(
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
[QUOTE="adders99"]

[QUOTE="PhilGDUK2"]as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?mfp16

lol, some people are too funny man... I don't need to "not play" cause I don't like a joystick. If I buy the game and want to use something like this I will. If I buy a game and decide that the best way to play it was to shove it as far up my *** as I could then I will also play it that way too. Whats it to you?

Frankly, I hope that the xbox goes the way that UT3 on the ps3 did and simply add the support right to the game.

lol. I like how he called it cheating... Some games just play better with different controls. For a 3rd person game like Assassins Creed i'd want a controller. For a FPS i'd want a kb/m. It just plays better. lol, but it's not cheating...

And besides, he's admitting that the kb/m controls are better for some games by calling it "cheating". If he admits they're better controls why would he not want the option to use them?

I want MS to make the option standard so everyone can use a kb/m if they choose. It really is a better option for some games.

zacm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zacm

lol. I like how he called it cheating... Some games just play better with different controls. For a 3rd person game like Assassins Creed i'd want a controller. For a FPS i'd want a kb/m. It just plays better. lol, but it's not cheating...

And besides, he's admitting that the kb/m controls are better for some games by calling it "cheating". If he admits they're better controls why would he not want the option to use them?

I want MS to make the option standard so everyone can use a kb/m if they choose. It really is a better option for some games.

Well said brianpoetzel, my thoughts exactly.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts
[QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="adders99"]

[QUOTE="PhilGDUK2"]as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?brianpoetzel

reason being that its on a console and yes ill admit the keyboard and mouse are better for games such as FPS.... who said they were not... the reason why it would be "cheating" is because on a console everyone has the exact same controller style lay out and the way to use it.... so its even but if certian people have a mouse they have an unfair advantage.....

CEOrko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CEOrko
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts
[QUOTE="brianpoetzel"][QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="adders99"]

[QUOTE="PhilGDUK2"]as much as like the idea being an old school CS:Source player of a kb & mouse, does seem a little like cheating on a console... Anyone else think this?adders99

reason being that its on a console and yes ill admit the keyboard and mouse are better for games such as FPS.... who said they were not... the reason why it would be "cheating" is because on a console everyone has the exact same controller style lay out and the way to use it.... so its even but if certian people have a mouse they have an unfair advantage.....

Both controls are subject to the same parameters as it is a mouse trying to emulate a joystick. Only user ability factors in to how well one can manipulate either control scheme, so saying this is cheating is the exactly like saying someone using a wheel in whatever racing game is cheating. Then there are people who could otherwise not play the game. My father lost the entire last joint of his left thumb. Should he be labeled a "cheater" for using the only control option available to him? Should I too if I met with such misfortune? The entire argument that this is cheating falls on its face due to the XFPS being subject to the same deadzones and acceleration as the thumbstick. Any advantages it offers are not as free from limits as those when moving from fullscreen to widescreen, or to a higher screen resolution, or from stereo to surround sound.

Were this an actual software hack to allow mouse support, you might have something, but as of now it is just another option open to the consumer who would prefer a more familiar and overall freindly control scheme. The only ones at fault here are Microsoft for not pushing devs into incorporating mouse and keyboard by default in their shooter and strategy titles. Their only reason seemingly being that they do not want to lose controller sales.