Anyone else have the problem of buying games in a genre you know your no good at

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

For me its racing. I SUCK at racing games, i never go online for racing. ever. i know i suck at racing games, yet here i am buying MORE racing games. I buy Forza 3, i buy Dirt 2. And im crap at them, i dunno why i keep bloody buying em. I should just stop altogeather lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Lol i sorta of know what you mean. I'm not that good at fighting games, yet i buy them.. However i don't like Racing games so i don't but them :3

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Well if you got em, why dont you put some time into getting good at them?

I'm tellin ya man, if you take the time to get good at Forza 3, you're gonna find it much easier to 'get good' at pretty much any other racing game.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

Well if you got em, why dont you put some time into getting good at them?

I'm tellin ya man, if you take the time to get good at Forza 3, you're gonna find it much easier to 'get good' at pretty much any other racing game.

seankane
I seriously doubt that, everyone finds Dirt 2 easy for instance and me i find it insanely hard. I find the vehicles just to hard to control so that shows just how bad at racing games i am. Aint gonna happen mate lol
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts

Just because your bad at them doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them. It seems to me that you enjoy racing games but you aren't all that great at them...and so what! as long as your enjoying yourself it shouldn't matter IMO.

Solarburn24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solarburn24
Member since 2004 • 1643 Posts

For me its madden. Im below average and yet I keep buying it every year.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
If I suck at a certain genre of games I don't usually enjoy them, and it's that that puts me off getting them - so no Street Fighter 4 for me :) Anyway I wouldn't base your racing decisions on Dirt 2. I love racing games, but I tried the Dirt 2 demo and really didn't like the handling of the cars. I'd suggest trying a game like PGR3/4 as it has a good balance of being friendly to people unfamiliar with racing games, while still rewarding those who are good at them. Forza 3 has made the Forza series much more approachable - try the demo and you can set it up for beginners or pros - on easy it can help you brake and turn, while disabling the driving aids will give you much more control of the car.
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts

I'm not really a big racing fan myself but I really liked Motor Storm on the PS3, I wish they would release it on the 360 too. The game is fun because you don't have to be very strict about breaking and turning stuff like that....really anyone can pick up and play it.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Im the same way with street fighting type of game..Yet ill buy em jut to play some thing different once in awhile..Guess the only way to get better at them is to practice..

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I seriously doubt that, everyone finds Dirt 2 easy for instance and me i find it insanely hard. I find the vehicles just to hard to control so that shows just how bad at racing games i am. Aint gonna happen mate lol Phantsy16

Just because some other people might find it easier to pick up on, doesn't mean you cant ever be good at it. And you've no idea if these other people have at one point gotten really good at a racing game, enabling them to find DIRT 2 'easier', ya know?

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

I suck at racing games but I love them. I play Midnight Club on LIVE and everyone makes fun of me for being in last place and driving a beatdown ride but I keep doing it to myself.

LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

I'm pretty bad at racing and fighting games. I like having one of each in my collection though for when I want to take a break from my other games.

bekkilyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bekkilyn
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts
If I'm not good at a game, that just tells me I need to play more of it in order to get good at it. Maybe I won't ever be "the best" at it compared to someone who may play only that type of game or someone who is a bit more of a natural at it, but if I'm enjoying it then who cares. For example, I just played through the single-player campaign of MW2 this weekend and I haven't played a lot of shooters due to playing mostly RPGs and MMORPGs on the PC, but it came with my new xbox 360, so many seemed to love and anticipate it, and so of course I had to play it right away. I played through in the recommended recruit mode, and wow, I had so much fun. Much of the time I had no idea what was going on and didn't really comprehend half of the storyline because I was so busy trying not to get killed. I'm sure compared to many who are more used to this style of game, I was terrible. I was just bumbling my way through everything and also accidentally shooting my allies along with the enemies. As the game progressed though, I was getting better at it, so the next time I play I'll bump up the difficulty a bit and learn more. Eventually I'll be good at this game if I continue to practice, so it's just like anything else at life. The vast majority of people aren't natural geniuses at all activities. Most people are great at what they do because they have poured a lot of work and sweat and tears into the effort. To other people, they make it look easy, but other people haven't seen all the time and practice they've put into it. If you really enjoy racing games, just keep playing them. Eventually with effort, you'll be good at them too.
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

Just because your bad at them doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them. It seems to me that you enjoy racing games but you aren't all that great at them...and so what! as long as your enjoying yourself it shouldn't matter IMO.

mother_farter
I agree.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Meh I'm not a pro at RTS games but I still find them fun. It's not really a problem because I never play online and I enjoy them.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Not too good at fighting games either especially since most fighting games are the typical 1 on 1 deal. I generally stay away from the online play there, but as far as the game itself, I like playing fighting games. It's fun. Yeah, I know what you mean, sometimes when you're not good at something you tend to stay away from it, but I don't do that, I just stay away from overly aggressive online people who make me realize just how badly I stink at the games.
zombiechief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zombiechief
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

i buy a few fighting games but i suck at them. However i have fun when im playing them so thats what counts

dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 dunderri
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

I'm kind of terrible at FPS... but yet I still get them. All of my games are mainly FPS. I can play them and beat them, but it has to be on easy and I sometimes die in the dumbest situations ('Oh hey, look a grenade!' *BOOM*) lol.

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

if i like the game i play it better sooner or later

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
There are so many assists to ease you into Forza 3. Start will all of them on and learn to take a good racing line, breaking before the turn, and then accelerate from the apex, ect. Just follow the race line the game gives you.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I don't tell myself I'm bad at any certain genre. Are there ones I have more experience in? Sure. But a genre is such a broad category, it depends on the game.

steveo2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 steveo2000
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

i suck at all my games. So many games so little time when married and working.

I wish they had online matchmaking for people who have only played a game for 10hours, 3 months after its been released.

I usually just take it as a compliment when I come in last every time, atleast I have better things to do most of the time.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts

i suck at all my games. So many games so little time when married and working.

I wish they had online matchmaking for people who have only played a game for 10hours, 3 months after its been released.

I usually just take it as a compliment when I come in last every time, atleast I have better things to do most of the time.

steveo2000
"better things to do most of the time"........like posting on gamespot.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I'm not that good at competitive online shooters, yet I still buy them anyway because they're fun. My kill/death ratio in Gears 2 is about 1/7.