After today resolution really doesn't matter.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

Hey guys does any body else feel that after the videos shown today of ryse and dead rising 3, that the resolutions they are running at really doesn't matter at all.

After seeing ryse especially it still has amazing visuals, with plenty of characters on screen all individually doing there own thing. I really can't see how 1080p would really make that much difference.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

microsoft's new slogan: "if we dont have it, it doesnt matter"

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Yeah, well, all is good i guess, but i wonder your opinion if the Xbox One was doing 1080p and the competition was only doing 720p?

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lilkarlh666

My opinion wouldn't change. Il be getting a ps4 at some point I'm just waiting for more games from sony. It may be a 4inch youtube video but to be honest i've never really noticed much difference between it anyway. Even on the youtube videos it still looks excellent by any standard just as the ps4 does.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

720P is good enough for me

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

@drekula2 said:

microsoft's new slogan: "if we dont have it, it doesnt matter"

Fanboy commentary coming from a fanboy.

That is the slogan of the "losing end", always.

Nintendo fanboys have used it, Sony fanboys have used it and MS fanboys have used it.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

This resolution thing had me concerned until I saw that some MS games are 1080P and saw comparisons between the two consoles running at the different resolutions with the XBOX One looking better (I admit that we all look for different things here and understand if someone prefers PS4 in the same comparisons). For me smoothness is key to immersion and tuning the resolution down to keep the games smooth is the right move.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

@sukraj said:

Then you should just stick with a last gen console.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@ChiefFreeman said:

@sukraj said:

How is he supposed to play games like DR3 and Ryse on the Xbox 360?

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

it does depending on you tv. my tv is 40 inches so im not going to notice a diference .

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

@ChiefFreeman said:

@sukraj said:

You think resolution is all there is to visuals or that improved visuals is the only thing more powerful next gen hardware will bring to your games?

RobNyack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By RobNyack
Member since 2003 • 336 Posts

As usual, another issue blown completely out of proportion by the Sony hit squads who, instead of focusing on what should be a pretty cool PS4, they sit around waiting to blow everything into a massive XB1 blunder.

The resolution issue.

First, let's frame this discussion properly.....BOTH consoles are struggling to meet the expected next gen standard of 1080p/60fps with their launch games. MS has some of their launch games at 1080p/60fps and some are not. The same is true for Sony. But, the key phrase here is LAUNCH GAMES. Would everyone just take a breath for a minute? Both consoles will be spitting out 1080/60fps games left and right soon enough.

Next, in the grand scheme of things, it means little for most of us.....for the distances we sit from our TVs (10 ft or more) and for TV screens of 50" and under, the human eye can barely detect the difference between 1080 p and 720p, let alone tell the difference between 720p upscaled to 1080p vs native 1080p. That's just science.

And if you take the example of CoD Ghosts, sure Sony has it at 1080p...but at what cost. Reviews say it's suffering from frequent frame rate drops whereas, the Xbox One version is at 720p and runs as smooth as butter. So, you tell me which version you'd rather have.

And lastly....if resolution is THAT big a factor for you.....then how stupid are you wasting your time on a game console. Go get a PC.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You will never notice the difference between 720p and 1080p from screens and videos taken from the internet. There is a huge difference in visual quality between the resolutions.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#15 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

As someone who was happy playing Combat on my Atari 2600 in 1980 and was happy with it, crying over 720 v 1080 and 30fps v 60fps feels so silly. OMG, I'm going on twitter "Wah, my gaming console might not be quite as nice as my friends'!! #whitepeopleproblems"

no matter what system, nextgen gaming is going to be fantastic.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lilkarlh666

The more i read into the details coming out of the game articles and opinions, something that hasn't been stated yet but comes to my mind personally, is that sony are perhaps forcing developers to use 1080p on all launch games to get the number crunching game going for them.

This can easily be seen by the number of threads and videos created all over the place regarding this, getting even as far as commercial media giving what appears the overall edge to sony.

This way possibly the less informed members of public who don't understand hardware properly will be more impressed with the higher numbers thinking higher is always better and applying this to their purchase.

Me personally i'm not bothered, i don't think i am as old as the above poster as my first gaming days started with the n64 and everything since.

Even by looking at the dead rising videos,the sheer amount of zombie's on screen at once and the attention to detail, more than makes up for resolution and fps.

60fps is only really need in specific genre's, and action isn't one of them, 30fps is more than enough.

I just wanted to make this thread because i am fed up myself of the resolution target being thrown around like it is the end all and be all of next gen when it really isn't

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I'd much rather have a 720/60 game than 1080/30. To me, the fps makes a huge difference. It not only helps with response time, but the way everything looks improves as well. One thing that bothers me is when the screen scrolls and the backgrounds blur a bit with the movement. 60fps keeps everything silky smooth, like the tru motion stuff in newer TVs. Some people complain that it looks too fake, but I'm ok with that.

RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
@Grieverr said:

I'd much rather have a 720/60 game than 1080/30. To me, the fps makes a huge difference. It not only helps with response time, but the way everything looks improves as well. One thing that bothers me is when the screen scrolls and the backgrounds blur a bit with the movement. 60fps keeps everything silky smooth, like the tru motion stuff in newer TVs. Some people complain that it looks too fake, but I'm ok with that.

Few games are going for 60fps, and the Xbone and PS4 run games at the same fps, the difference is in resolution.

@magicalclick said:

Personally I prefer to trade off some pixels for more complex graphics.

That just....makes no sense, I don't think you know exactly what a pixel is.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Just bought a new Samsung 60" LED TV. I'll tell you guys the difference when I have my XB1 and PS4 running on this bad boy hehehe :D

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Resolution makes a huge difference. It's why PS4 games look so crisp and why XB1 games look so blurry.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well when your up all night after a few energy drinks the screen starts to look blurry anyways. Lol