achievements and what theyve done to me!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

I used to be able to pop in any title to whatever console i owned and just enjoy playing it. But now with achievements, i feel like if im not making progress towards one, its a waste of time or something. I dunno....its so silly but sometimes cant help but feel this way! WOT DO I DUE

tomtaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 tomtaraz
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

go outside and play some sport or do some exercise aka get a life

adamus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 adamus007
Member since 2007 • 852 Posts

I used to be able to pop in any title to whatever console i owned and just enjoy playing it. But now with achievements, i feel like if im not making progress towards one, its a waste of time or something. I dunno....its so silly but sometimes cant help but feel this way! WOT DO I DUE

sammyt555

dont look at the Achievement list.........honestly who cares about achievements

Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

go outside and play some sport or do some exercise aka get a life

tomtaraz

...Yet you say this while posting on a video game forum.... :|

m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

I feel the same way lol. That's why I really enjoy taking a break from Xbox once in a while and playing my DS, Wii, or PSP.

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
I hate online achievements, even more when they are for a game you picked up in a bargin bin and nobody plays it any more or the servers have been shut down.
Imm0ral_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Imm0ral_Knight
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts
I hate online achievements too. I like getting achievements, they give the game replay value and a reason to play them.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Yep, online achievements are a waste for me too. I usually just look at what achievements I could get on my own time and go for those if I enjoy the game enough. Sometimes achievements force you to manipulate the game in dumb ways, like setting up a specific type of golf course that is easy to max out your stats. Those achievements are lame.
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
I think achievements give me direction in games. They help me to break outside of my normal method of play and try something new. I'm not addicted to my score like a friend of mine who has over 6100 achievements and a gamerscore of 138564, but I like the replay value they can add.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
It's all a mental thing; I was hooked on them too at first but convinced myself that it wasn't worth it to break my back over because: 1 - Several of them really weren't that fun to get and in hindsight I wish I had the time back to do something else 2 - Doesn't matter how hard you work, there's always someone else out there with more achievements and a more impressive list 3 - really I don't think anyone else cares that much about my achievements anyway :) Playing another system for a while does help -- Wii especially, since PS3 has trophies, which at first seem like a generic version of achievements but have the same effect as achievements once you start to go after them. I still do try to get achievements if they are attainable or seem like they'd be fun to get, but I don't really worry much anymore if I am not getting any while I play or if there's an uber achievement I don't have.
RCheke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RCheke
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i dont like online acheivments either but i agree that sometimes they give me something to aim for. like on fallout 3 when i was bored i tried to get an acheivment. same with skate. and assassins creed. and yes they sometimes add replay value like in mass effect where you get different acheivments for having certain party members for themajority of the game
boltzcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 boltzcom
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
Personally, I find achievements to be over-rated. Only a few times have I looked at the list before playing a game and then played it specifically to get an achievement. The point of a game for me is to beat it, then get whatever achievements come with that. If I liked the game, I'll go back and play "towards" certain achievements maybe....but I have never stressed about whether or not I get any certain one or not...
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
Achievements make games more addictive it's like a disease or something.
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

I know it is really addictive tho. I don't want to care about achievements, but for being a perfectionist, it pains me not to get all the achievements. And I know I don't have the ability to do so. There is nothing you can do about it. Achievements are the dark side of the force, once you touch it, you are scared forever. Just try to move on as much as possible.magicalclick

Amen to that. I think my OCD really developed thanks to acheivements.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

Youll stop caring when you get30k+ gamerscore.

I did anyway.

Nubiitking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nubiitking
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts
I didn't like achievements, I've only prefered unlockable things.
thexphact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thexphact0r
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

There, there... it happens to the best of us, old friend.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#20 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
it feels a lot more rewarding in a game to know you have every achievement.
huntertl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 huntertl1
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts

yes i have that problem too dont feel alone my friend

GRAW2597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GRAW2597
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
I love achievements I think they are one of the best things that ever happened to gaming, but thats just my opinion.
Avatar image for DragonRebel0908
DragonRebel0908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonRebel0908
Member since 2009 • 2251 Posts

I need to get more XBox 360 games for one thing because I only have 2 right now. I think it's good to try to get at least half the achievements of a game.

strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
i only go for achievements if I really like the game. Like I got 1050 out of mass effect because I absolutely loved that game. 895 out of orange box because its my favorite game... and others.... however if the game sucks I dont really care
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

Achievements are a cool nerd-cred, I think, but there's no sense busting your chops for them when they have no value in the real world.

dwt77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 dwt77
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts

I'm so/so on the achievement thing. It definitely adds a nice challenge to games that you might otherwise finish a bit faster. Before 360 days my usual MO would be to play a game until I beat it and then move on for the most part. Not to mention the fact that I push myself to play at higher difficulties which also never used to matter to me. I guessit has changed my approach to gaming too in some ways. I'm not way overboard with it though. I refuse to do a lot of the more time consuming achievements. (like the pigeon one on GTA4) Some of them are just way too redundant and pointless to even bother with!

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I know what you mean. Ever after playing on the 360, I have an odd feeling when playing games on other platforms, specially old games but I still enjoy them.
ac_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 ac_90
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

they should have made it so u can trade achievment points for microsoft points then they would have actually been useful. i guess they give you a reason to keep playing the game after you beat it but no one really cares except for you

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

The way I look at achievements, I'll play through a game and get whatever achievements unlock for beating the game, then I'll continue to play the game afterward to unlock the achievements. Honestly, I feel Achievements extend the life of the game

SirRiffAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SirRiffAlot
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me, but I've slowly drifted out of it. It just takes time to fall back into the groove you once had, trust me :D