Achievement Hunters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

I love earning achievements. I know they don't mean anything but they make the gameplay longer. The question is are you trying to get game completion 100% or are you going for achievements points and don't really care 100% the game?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I used to be big on collecting achievements (not necessarily 100%) but I just liked unlocking achievements and seeing my Gamerscore grow. Nowadays I'm not that fussed about them and would rather just enjoy the game, if I unlock some achievements great.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@BattleSpectre said:

I used to be big on collecting achievements (not necessarily 100%) but I just liked unlocking achievements and seeing my Gamerscore grow. Nowadays I'm not that fussed about them and would rather just enjoy the game, if I unlock some achievements great.

Yeah same as me... I don't actively try to earn achievements, I just play through the game and if I earn them, cool.

Oakspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: -1

#4 Oakspear
Member since 2003 • 47 Posts

I like unlocking achievements to increase my Gamerscore and to simply get my money's worth out of a game; there's just something satisfying about opening up your achievement card for a game and seeing a good number of them unlocked. Usually, I'll play through a game once and then go back for the easier achievements (I'm not crazy about getting the tougher ones or those that require grinding. I'm looking at you, Destiny).

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

Love achievements. Am not obsessed with trying to get every one in a game, but try to obtain as many as possible.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@BattleSpectre said:

Yeah same as me... I don't actively try to earn achievements, I just play through the game and if I earn them, cool.

Ditto. I will not go out of my way to get certain achievements.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

I love unlocking achievements and think they allow me to experience the entire game at times (such as rewarding for exploring and for honing skills). However, I won't put myself towards working towards grin heavy achievements like the Seriously achievements from Gears of War. There's no fun to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It really depends on the individual game I'm playing. Usually there will be the achievements that you automatically unlock as you play. Occasionally I might notice that there's an achievement for something in an upcoming level and work towards unlocking it. I liked a lot of the achievements in Halo. Some of the multiplayer ones were really challenging to get, and unless you were really good then they were difficult to obtain. A lot of the achievements that took lots of skill or teamwork always made me feel rewarded. Getting Endure on Halo 3 ODST is still one of my most memorable achievement experiences.

I look at a game like Master Chief Collection, that has like 450 achievements.... I know I will probably never get all of them, but still that is kind of cool - lots of opportunity to make a game night out of getting different challenging achievements, and lots of surprise achievements I'll probably unlock when I least expect to. I still really like the idea of achievements, I think they're largely here to stay. But I think as I get older, I've realized that it's less and less about doing every last thing in a game - though that can be nice if you have the time and patience for it. It's more about your own journey through each game, and your 'story' and experiences playing it.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Thats me exactly.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@ryanweinmann:

I like getting achievements, but I do not go to play a game specifically for them usually (Forza being an exception because of the Forza Rewards, I tried to get some achievements I was close to so I could make the next level on the reward tier system). I do enjoy it when an achievement pops up, but I do not go out hunting for them. That said, I do try and get games on Xbox or Steam purely for that feature over going with a version which does not include that (purely as its easier to compare scores to friends that way and also gives me a sense of purpose with the games, especially now you can track how long you have been playing games compared to friends or just in general).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

After Xbone came out, I stopped caring.

I don't like how achievements work or read on Xbone compared to 360. Even looking at achievements there is a loading screen now and the layout is too big and not easy to scroll around like 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I could care less about achievements. Today for example I received an achievement for watching three episodes of The Walking Dead and rating two other shows (five total) Seriously!? I didn't do anything besides sit with my wife and watch multiple episodes.

@ryanweinmann said:

I love earning achievements. I know they don't mean anything but they make the gameplay longer. The question is are you trying to get game completion 100% or are you going for achievements points and don't really care 100% the game?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I'm not one constantly out to get 1000/1000, especially since many games have achievements you can only get in multiplayer and many games I don't care enough to play the multiplayer. But, I do try to earn any of them I can get in SP, given they're not really too hard or time consuming.

Like, there's an Alien Isolation achievement for playing the entire game and not dying, I'm not going to attempt to touch that one, I died enough my first playthrough to know how futile such an attempt will be. However, I will go back to play it again to find all the collectibles and discover all the hidden logs, try to beat it without killing a human, certain conditional achievements and such, maybe playing on hardest difficulty if there's one for that... just not that one of going the whole game not dying.

I earned every SP achievement I could in AC Black Flag but wasn't going to play the MP or get the DLC so I left those alone.

But, for games say like Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux I got 1000/1000 on each. There's some good achievements there that give reasons to play the games at least twice over, one for Survival and Spartan modes, achievements for good/bad endings.

It's fun to do if the game is fun. Sometimes getting achievements is just something to do that gets you to try new things in games you normally wouldn't try, find a new way to do things. Sometimes they promote multiple playthroughs and really give me a chance to learn to appreciate just how good the games are.

MortisPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 MortisPenguin
Member since 2014 • 172 Posts

I mainly care about completing the game over achieving 100% of the achievements.