A New Dashboard With the 360 Slim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eggsngravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eggsngravy
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

Does anyone think it's likely? By the looks of the new console it seems like microsoft are going for a more mature, tidy atmosphere for the 360... the current one just seems a bit all over the place to me,if you get what i mean.

Anyways, yeah. Opinions?

Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

My guess is they'd use the same dashboard as everyone else. As far as I know it's the same console, just with a different model, built in wifi, bigger hard drive etc.

eggsngravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eggsngravy

Yeah, but i was thinking about a whole new redesign, like, for both consoles.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I don't understand what you mean by "all over the place"

The dash will continue to evolve every year as it always does. I don't think we'll see a jump from what we have currently now

JM_MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JM_MUFC
Member since 2009 • 352 Posts

Well if your dashboard is "all over the place" i think you have a different one to everyone else! I think you'll find the dashboard is alot better than the old one. It is organised into set categories with each category having numerous sub-categories, making easy and quick access. There is not much that can actually be improved on to be honest so i dont see why they should change it again now everyone is used to the current, perfectly functioning, one.

eggsngravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eggsngravy

Its hard to describe.. It just doesn't seem as professional as the old one, or that of the PS3.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#7 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Nah, it's the same. I saw videos of people turning them on.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

Its hard to describe.. It just doesn't seem as professional as the old one, or that of the PS3.

eggsngravy

I disagree 100%, everything is organized for easy access and navigation

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 orb_03_2006
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="eggsngravy"]

I second this.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

[QUOTE="eggsngravy"]

Jaysonguy

Yup. I've never had a problem finding anything. It's been designed very well.

Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

The dashboard is exactly the same :) I have no problem with it, as others have said.. I find it to be well organized.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="eggsngravy"]

I second this.

I have to say that I sort of agree with the TC on this one. Don't get me wrong, the Dashboard is completely functional and it IS veru much superior to the old Dashboard design, but I do think that the Dashboard on the PS3 is slightly cleaner and better organized. Of course, the PS3 doesn't have the full Guide function that can be accessed at any time during gameplay, so that's a serious downside. I do think the Dashboard could use a sleeker, perhaps slightly toned down appearance and a little less cumbersome organization system. The current Dashboard is fine, but I do think there's still room for improvement.
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

I kinda get what you mean by 'all over the place' because it looks like a little kid designed the boxes, but the old dashboard was cluttered

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I think they made a new console to make more money, but hey, that's just me. Knowing Microsoft I doubt they did it for money.

dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dr_octagon
Member since 2003 • 625 Posts

Making a new dashboard requires money, and seems pointless. It also brings up compatibility issues and problems with tech support (one more thing to confuse a customer) so it won't happen.

Anybody who says the 360 dash is easier to use than the XMB has no idea what they are talking about. The PS3's XMB is so simple to use (and not cluttered with stupid ads and other useless videos) that it's absolutely boring. However, boring as it is, it's alot easier to use. Plus it doesn't freeze/hang anywhere near the amount of times the 360 dash does.

Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

sixgears2

I second this.

I have to say that I sort of agree with the TC on this one. Don't get me wrong, the Dashboard is completely functional and it IS veru much superior to the old Dashboard design, but I do think that the Dashboard on the PS3 is slightly cleaner and better organized. Of course, the PS3 doesn't have the full Guide function that can be accessed at any time during gameplay, so that's a serious downside. I do think the Dashboard could use a sleeker, perhaps slightly toned down appearance and a little less cumbersome organization system. The current Dashboard is fine, but I do think there's still room for improvement.

really? I find the PS3's dashboard too small and hard to find anything. Also consider that is on my 40' HD compared to my xbox on the 20' SD tv. The PS3 also has huge catergories that take forever to load, while xbox keeps most of its list short. I also find the moving themes to be too distracting and some things are in wierd places like I could never understand why they placed the game icon where they did never really made sense to me. I also never could figure out where to find friends or the friends list are at.

dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dr_octagon
Member since 2003 • 625 Posts

I also never could figure out where to find friends or the friends list are at.

Blackhawk692

It's all the way to the right, dude. It's been there for 4 years now. :roll:

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

I think they made a new console to make more money, but hey, that's just me. Knowing Microsoft I doubt they did it for money.

RobboElRobbo
lol, you're very sarcastic today aren't you?
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 orb_03_2006

sixgears2

I second this.

I always thought the PS3 dashboard was really dull. BUT I do love the fact that themes are free and that the icons are customized to go with the theme. :D

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
While on Xbox Live EVERY Xbox 360 uses the same software including the dashboard. So if there is an update it goes to every xbox 360 model while signed onto xbox Live.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

sixgears2

I second this.

Less cumbersome?

The "other" console you're talking aout has no organization. All your games and every demo you have get tossed into one pile that you choose from

On the 360's dash you have...
The "how to" page that must users disable
Spotlight
My XBOX
Game Marketplace
Video Marketplace
Music Marketplace
My Friends
Inside XBOX
My Community

Everything is right there easy for anyone to find. Then in each section users can choose what they want from seeing just their Arcade games to whatever vids they have on the 360 or available for streaming.

The dash for the 360 is the perfect example of form meeting function

BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 BigGhost_AJT
Member since 2004 • 928 Posts

I agree that the NXE interface is a little scattershot. Too often have I found myself unable to find the option, feature or menu I've needed. Yet it is still fairly new and a major step up from the blades. So I could see them holding on to it for a little longer. I guess I would expect a more streamlined format at some point. Not necessarily for the release of the slim.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 orb_03_2006

[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="orb_03_2006"] I second this.Jaysonguy

Less cumbersome?

The "other" console you're talking aout has no organization. All your games and every demo you have get tossed into one pile that you choose from

On the 360's dash you have...
The "how to" page that must users disable
Spotlight
My XBOX
Game Marketplace
Video Marketplace
Music Marketplace
My Friends
Inside XBOX
My Community

Everything is right there easy for anyone to find. Then in each section users can choose what they want from seeing just their Arcade games to whatever vids they have on the 360 or available for streaming.

The dash for the 360 is the perfect example of form meeting function

I agree. I think it's pretty great. Sure, the guide freezes up sometimes, but no big deal.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I believe they're going to have a Kinect dashboard and that's going to be slightly different from the dashboard now. I wouldn't mind if they tweaked some features and the looks of it but the current one now is fine.

rawr_xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rawr_xd
Member since 2009 • 790 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="eggsngravy"]

orb_03_2006

I second this.

I third this statement. They did a perfect job. Xbox is the easiest to navigate by far.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="orb_03_2006"] I second this.Blackhawk692

really? I find the PS3's dashboard too small and hard to find anything. Also consider that is on my 40' HD compared to my xbox on the 20' SD tv. The PS3 also has huge catergories that take forever to load, while xbox keeps most of its list short. I also find the moving themes to be too distracting and some things are in wierd places like I could never understand why they placed the game icon where they did never really made sense to me. I also never could figure out where to find friends or the friends list are at.

I'm not saying that it's perfect or that there aren't things I wuoldn't change (I HATE the friends list placement and message mechanic), but I do think it is overall a more consolidated and better looking dashboard. Now, it's important to understand that I'm not saying the 360 should mimic the PS3 Dashboard altogether, just that it would perhaps benefit from a facelift and maybe a reorganization. Right now it just seems a little... kiddie for lack of a better word. A more mature look (or at least that option) would be appreciated by myself and, I'm sure, other gamers who aren't bothered about flashy colors or constant advertisement/updates they don't care about.

And to whoever was implying that the 360's organizational system is perfect, the "other system" has most of those same categories laid out in single tabs with lists that scroll down rather than having a sequence of boxes that open into another sequence of boxes which open into another sequence of boxes which open into a final sequence of boxes where you'll find what you're looking for. Like I said, I'm not advocating a switch to the PS3's system, but I do think the 360 would benefit from a trimming of the fat (useless material we don't usually care about all over the Dashboard) and a more streamlined UI. I said earlier that I don't think it's a bad system, but I don't think that it's as perfect as a lot of you are saying it is either. You as a gamer should know by now that all things could be improved, nothing is perfect.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

laliberte11
lol, you're very sarcastic today aren't you?

No. [spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
We will know when Kinect rolls around.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Right now it just seems a little... kiddie for lack of a better word. A more mature look (or at least that option) would be appreciated by myself and, I'm sure, other gamers who aren't bothered about flashy colors or constant advertisement/updates they don't care about

sixgears2

I actually agree with you on this..I don't know how people can deny the NXE doesn't look like it was made for a five year old, especially with the little cartoony Avatars there to spur this notion on...I do like the dashboard, don't get me wrong but I definetley feel like the PS3 ( while not neccessarily better ) has a more sophisticated and mature GUI..

The Xbox is constantly trying to sell you things via the dashboard as well, and while I do realise that , yes M$ designed it get used to it, some decent free stuff being advertised to me would be nice as well...:(