A little servey for LIVE users please....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
I "along with many others here" notice lots of swearing on LIVE. Now....My ears here mostly 18 and under people on LIVE.."or so it seems"

I want to start a poll or "servey"....How many of you on LIVE curse on the mic AND how many of you are young and curse around you parents And how many of your parents LET you curse?

Im from a different generation. Im going to be 37 this year and my MOM has NEVER heard me swear. I have 2 boys 11 and 14 that have NEVER heard me swear.

DO I curse?...Sure I do, but not around everyone and certainly NOT in public EVER.
Jack_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jack_78
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

im 16, and yeh i occaisionally swear, but never around my parents, otherwise i wouldnt be back on xbox live!, also i think if people are being rude (which has dramaticaly increased over the past year or so) on xbox live, then you are more likely to swear back at them. I enjoy playing somebody who i can relate to, who is polite, and who you can have a genuine conversation with.
Believe it or not somebody called me **** this **** that just because i scored a goal from the halfway line of Fifa. You rarely hear anybody say "nice goal" or "well done" etc.

I agree with you on this one. :), maybe i'll add you on xbox live, what games do you go on?

Avatar image for deactivated-586291ff5899b
deactivated-586291ff5899b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-586291ff5899b
Member since 2008 • 1261 Posts

I "along with many others here" notice lots of swearing on LIVE. Now....My ears here mostly 18 and under people on LIVE.."or so it seems"

I want to start a poll or "servey"....How many of you on LIVE curse on the mic AND how many of you are young and curse around you parents And how many of your parents LET you curse?

Im from a different generation. Im going to be 37 this year and my MOM has NEVER heard me swear. I have 2 boys 11 and 14 that have NEVER heard me swear.

DO I curse?...Sure I do, but not around everyone and certainly NOT in public EVER.FunkyHeadHunter

1st - glad to see other's from my generation still pounding the buttons as i also am 37. Hence the '71' in my tag (Baldguy71 - born in 1971)

2nd - I do swear but not when my 6 yr old is around - for heaven's sake - it's only a game. I do find it crazy to listen to "kids" who sound like they're 8 or 9 yrs olf dropping "F"-bombs like they're truck driving sailors. I tolorate it foa bit, but I get sick of it quick and usually will back out of the room and enter another.

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Age 20, curse on XBL while using a mic (not very much anymore, usually only with friends).
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts

I swear but it is in my basement so my mom doesnt hear me that much. I normally only swear if im mad at the game.

80bb1t1042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 80bb1t1042
Member since 2007 • 675 Posts

i try not to swear anywhere as thats the way i have been brought up but i will ocasianally curse or swear whatever you call it, but on xbox live i rarely have my mic actually turned on seeing as people say i sound funny cause my voice hasnt broken yet and i have an accent (not american), and i to be honest i do get sick of all the **** you and all the small children screaming and such.

so basically i try not to curse anywhere but it ocasianally happens

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheHumanDove
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts

Swearing is a part of life. Sure, I don't attempt to say Fck in every sentence, but if I say it at one point I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I think attacking people vocally on LIVE is a far greater issue. Live and let live.

EDIT: Also, define 'different generation'. If you think this is a new era where kid's just aren't being raised as the good ol boys anymore, then I don't know what to say about all of the 40+ adults I help at work curse like sailors.

80bb1t1042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 80bb1t1042
Member since 2007 • 675 Posts
oh yeah im 14
Ozzie234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ozzie234
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts
It happens, it's a very competitive environment, and you try to WIN. Cursing is a part of it all. I hardly means anything, so just live with it.
JiMMay4ShiZZay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JiMMay4ShiZZay
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts

neither of my parents have ever heard me curse in my life, becuase i have what you would call respect for your elders, and respect for those around me in general. this seems alien to most little douchebags on xbox live, and what is worse than the language, racism makes you a cool kid online. people need to shape up or they arent going to make it through my mass-liquidations of all people i dont like once i come to power.

and for the record i curse all the time, but only when it is acceptable, such as with friends or with my uncles and cousins. still, never in public, i get so pissed off at people who curse in front of little kids in line or something.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

19, here. I'm not going to lie, I swear [excessively loud] into the mic when someone provokes me to. Other than that (95%+ of the time), I'm a good, clean-talkin' player.

Oh, and my parents would never, ever let me curse. I tend to do it more when they're not home...

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
17, I never curse.
Shinoadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Shinoadr
Member since 2007 • 2667 Posts
I try not to swear but It just comes out, but I barely swear on Live.
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheHumanDove

"neither of my parents have ever heard me curse in my life, becuase i have what you would call respect for your elders, and respect for those around me in general. this seems alien to most little douchebags on xbox live, and what is worse than the language, racism makes you a cool kid online. people need to shape up or they arent going to make it through my mass-liquidations of all people i dont like once i come to power."

Respectful indeed.

Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts
20 and yes i swear on LIVE, a lot more when playing with friends.
Ozzie234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ozzie234

"neither of my parents have ever heard me curse in my life, becuase i have what you would call respect for your elders, and respect for those around me in general. this seems alien to most little douchebags on xbox live, and what is worse than the language, racism makes you a cool kid online. people need to shape up or they arent going to make it through my mass-liquidations of all people i dont like once i come to power."

Respectful indeed.

TheHumanDove
No, pathetic is the word. Life needs some cursing. :)
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
I **ckin stay sayin' **ck
JiMMay4ShiZZay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JiMMay4ShiZZay
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts
exactly, i dont have respect for those douchebags, so i see no reason not to call them douchebags.
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
Do I use profanity on Live....sure, on occasion. Which is merely the equivalent of me stubbing my toe and a word that may be construed as obscene escapes. Do I use said profanity in excess....no, nor do I use it to verbally attack or degrade anyone online. I try to stay true to my character whether it be in "realtime" or the eccentric realm of Xbox live. :D
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheHumanDove

"exactly, i dont have respect for those douchebags, so i see no reason not to call them douchebags."

And you realize you've already said 'pissed off' on the forum, which little kids might read. So you're just a tad bit of a hypocrite.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i curse to stupid people or some B.S happens iam 18 and ya i curse in from of my mom and i do it infront of my teachers and they do nothi because i told them how i feel how stupid it is

here let me ask a question whats wrong with the F word or the B word or S word????????? nothi is wrong with it anit like its gonna hurt you stupid people

Ozzie234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ozzie234

i curse to stupid people or some B.S happens iam 18 and ya i curse in from of my mom and i do it infront of my teachers and they do nothi because i told them how i feel how stupid it is

here let me ask a question whats wrong with the F word or the B word or S word????????? nothi is wrong with it anit like its gonna hurt you stupid people

k2theswiss
I agree. As long as one can lay it off when needed.
Avatar image for CrackerRiley023
CrackerRiley023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 CrackerRiley023
Member since 2003 • 1057 Posts

I'm 21 an curse probably more than I should. But I also think that there is no such thing as a "bad" word. I mean I don't go saying them around anyone and everyone but I just don't like the idea of people defining bad words...

Also, you're 37 and don't know that it's sUrvey? Come on now...

doberman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 doberman20
Member since 2006 • 562 Posts
well my parents have always let me curse as long as i dont make them look bad lol and im 17 almost 18
Knubbz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Knubbz360
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts
I'm 20 years old and I curse a lot on the mic over xbox live and in general, but not in the presence of my parents, grandparents, or women in general. I'm a grown man and I'll be damned if I don't act like one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i don't even speak on the mic. period. still in High School
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts

I'm 20 years old and I curse a lot on the mic over xbox live and in general, but not in the presence of my parents, grandparents, or women in general. I'm a grown man and I'll be damned if I don't act like one.Knubbz360
Perhaps, especially, with a more seasoned crowd, the use of profanity has it's own set of guidelines as does a lot of our actions and/or inactions. You do not walk into an interview and use profanity or stand up in the middle of church and say, "Ah, that's bullsh*t!" or at least those of us that retain a certain degree of respect do not.

Personally, my vocabulary is sufficient enough, to whereas I can vocalize something cleverly ridiculous to convey my disdain for something, someone or a particular situation. The use of profanity is simply another habit. If you surround yourself with individuals that constantly use it, the odds are likely that you will as well, not out of disrespect necessarily, rather out of sheer auditory repetition.

SemperFi1113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SemperFi1113
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

16 here and i swear sometimes, but not enough to be an annoyance to people... Never swear around my family unless I go golfing with the father and we slice a shot...lol. On live I don't need to swear because my voice is intimidating enough, i sound 25-30 years old and EVERY single one of my friends can vouch for me on that. I find people that swear excessively obnoxious, and i either kick them or just leave. Sometimes games could use a little swear to generate a conversation or something, but don't start acting like Richard Prior.

Semper Fi1113-Gamertag

gaeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

#29 gaeren
Member since 2003 • 1639 Posts

It happens, it's a very competitive environment, and you try to WIN. Cursing is a part of it all. I hardly means anything, so just live with it.Ozzie234

spoken like a 14yr old. vulgarity is the the last resort of the ignorant. you swear because you lack the intelligence to queue up a sharp-witted response. swearing has nothing to do with winning. it has something to do with your response after getting popped by a well-placed sniper round, and in belittling others to make yourself feel like a big man. other than that, you will have no logic to back what barely qualifies as an arguement here. congrats on admitting to everyone that you have no class tho. kudos to you.

i.e. to the author- also in my thirties, and clearly maturity has a good deal to do with accompanying courteous behavior on live. however, a forum "survey" seems a poor idea in that the majority of your responses will likely be from teens or tweens, who have no conception of how to understand your arguement, and will merely just take the opportunity to listen to the sound of their own vulgarity. that said, good luck to you.

Losarii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Losarii
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

I'm 16.

The only curse word i say is damn (which some say isn't a curse word at all)

I don't curse on xbox live because i use the name Losari on almost every gaming account i use...i have to keep a good image :)
Besides, people have come to know me as a person that doesn't use those words...if i all of a sudden use them, I wouldn't be the same.

I don't mind when people curse around me, just shows me they feel comfortable enough to.

ElCallejero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ElCallejero
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

I'm 15 i curse all the time, i can control it not like i have a problem but i do curse alot. Not like the people that can't game and curse for the hell of it. I curse in public also haha

w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
I only swear when I mess up.. but it's more of a whisper to myself. The only time I my cuss in conversation is with my friends via Live (or in person of course). I'm 18 years old. I never cuss around parents, and when I do it's because I'm quoting something/someone.
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Well looks like I have some good replies. Some just wanted to show their ingnorace but its ok. I know most people have to show off and get the spot light as they have nothing else going for them.

Im not perfect in any way, but for god's sake people....Leave the swearing out when online. Say d.a.n.g OR son of....a motherless....Goat...ect ect. ect..""......There are tons of ways to make words up and they will have the same meaning as any of the F words and B words and S words you normally use...I promiss

And I DO get mad when playing...I am very very very very compedative and say many many words..IF im by myself at home and NOT ON LIVE...I swear...If there are people in my home, I say the words in the paragraphy above..