A few questions about the 360/LIVE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrEco
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts

I've started to seriously consider buying an Xbox 360. Mostly because it's only $200 and has quite a few good looking exclusives. But a few things have me confused, so I'll ask about them here.

1) I know that a Silver subscription to Xbox LIVE is free, but how much is a Gold subscription?

2) Do I need to buy any adaptors or anything special in order to hook up my 360 to LIVE?

3) For games such as Fallout 3 can I still buy DLC like The Pitt or Point Lookout if I only have a Silver subscription?

4) How often do 360's Red Ring, and what do I do if that happens to my 360?

And...

5) 360's come with wireless controllers right? Are they re-chargeable or do they take batteries? And if they take batteries is it possible to buy a wired controller?

VeryGnawty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 VeryGnawty
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts
1) About $50 2) No, but if you want Wi-Fi, you will need to buy an adapter. 3) Yes 4) You'll only get it if you play it for like, 8 hours and if you do, you'll have to send it in for repair 5) They need batteries, but yes you can buy a wired controller
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

I've started to seriously consider buying an Xbox 360. Mostly because it's only $200 and has quite a few good looking exclusives. But a few things have me confused, so I'll ask about them here.

1) I know that a Silver subscription to Xbox LIVE is free, but how much is a Gold subscription? About $7 a month.

2) Do I need to buy any adaptors or anything special in order to hook up my 360 to LIVE? You need an ethernet Cable to hook it up to a router.

3) For games such as Fallout 3 can I still buy DLC like The Pitt or Point Lookout if I only have a Silver subscription? Yes

4) How often do 360's Red Ring, and what do I do if that happens to my 360? Send it to M$. They'll fix it for free.

And...

5) 360's come with wireless controllers right? Are they re-chargeable or do they take batteries? And if they take batteries is it possible to buy a wired controller? Yes, and you can buy a play n charge kit. Yes there are wired controllers.

MrEco

VeryGnawty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VeryGnawty
Sorry, missed out 3. Yes, you can.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

1) I know that a Silver subscription to Xbox LIVE is free, but how much is a Gold subscription?

2) Do I need to buy any adaptors or anything special in order to hook up my 360 to LIVE?

3) For games such as Fallout 3 can I still buy DLC like The Pitt or Point Lookout if I only have a Silver subscription?

4) How often do 360's Red Ring, and what do I do if that happens to my 360?

And...

5) 360's come with wireless controllers right? Are they re-chargeable or do they take batteries? And if they take batteries is it possible to buy a wired controller?

MrEco

1. Depends where you live. I live in the USA and it's $49.99 a year.
  2. For WiFi yes. I recommend sticking with an ethernet cable.
  3. Yes you can, but you'll will need a HDD assuming you're getting an Arcade.
  4. Red Ring can happen to anyone; It's a hardware error. The RRoD is greatly reduced now compared to the older consoles. Call customer support.
  5. Both batteries and recharchable. You can buy a wired controller. I suggest buying the play and charge kit. It practically turns your wireless controller in a wired one.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts

1) About $50 2) No, but if you want Wi-Fi, you will need to buy an adapter. 3) Yes 4) You'll only get it if you play it for like, 8 hours and if you do, you'll have to send it in for repair 5) They need batteries, but yes you can buy a wired controllerVeryGnawty

So if we play our 360's for 8 hours we'll all get red rings? lol. Might need to recheck that one.

MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrEco

[QUOTE="MrEco"]

1. Depends where you live. I live in the USA and it's $49.99 a year.
2. For WiFi yes. I recommend sticking with an ethernet cable.
3. Yes you can, but you'll will need a HDD assuming you're getting an Arcade.
4. Red Ring can happen to anyone; It's a hardware error. The RRoD is greatly reduced now compared to the older consoles. Call customer support.
5. Both batteries and recharchable. You can buy a wired controller. I suggest buying the play and charge kit. It practically turns your wireless controller in a wired one.

RoslindaleOne

If I buy the Arcade I'll have to purchase a separate hard-drive? How much are those?

[QUOTE="MrEco"]

2) Do I need to buy any adaptors or anything special in order to hook up my 360 to LIVE? You need an ethernet Cable to hook it up to a router.

Steameffekt

That's for a wired internet connection right? I don't intend on getting a wireless internet connection, I don't see the point.

VeryGnawty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VeryGnawty
no, but i'm just saying, you only get RROD playing it for absolutely ages.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

If I buy the Arcade I'll have to purchase a separate hard-drive? How much are those?

MrEco

Check where ever your purchasing the 360. They're over priced so you're bettter off getting a 360 that comes with one.

MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrEco

OK, thanks for the help everybody. I really appreciated it. :)