360 overheating prevention question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

Hey guys, I might get a 360 but im wondering what's the max number of hours i should play b4 i should turn the console off to prevent it from overheating. Not trolling or anything, just want to be safe than sorry.

Im wondering if it's wise to turn on a fan beside the console while playing. THx again guys. Peace.

KBFTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KBFTodd
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts
I don't think there is a right answer here.......As long an the unit is well ventilated is should run for as many hours and you can play.......
mangophantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mangophantom
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
the new design for the consoles are fantastic, they've basically solved the overheating problems.... i have mine on for 6-7 hours somedays and have no problems. though location is important too, that meaning that if you have your 360 in an entertainment center where its closed in the back then i would put a fan next to it if you plan to use it for hours and hours. But as long as its got room to breath in the back you should be all set.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I've mentioned this before in this forum. Here's something I do that seems to help keep the console from overheating when I know I'll be playing for a few hours. I always have my console vertical. When it's vertical, it's the left side of the console that generates the most heat. So I just take a regular fan like this one an keep it blowing on the side of the console. After a couple of hours of play, the console isn't much warmer than it is when it's off. It's a huge noticable difference if I don't keep a fan on it.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

As long as you keep it in a well ventilated area it doesn't really matter (within reason :) )

While you are playing games the 360 heats up, but only to a certain point, which it will reach within maybe 20 minutes of playing. Beyond that it just stays at about this temp, so playing it for longer or shorter periods won't really make much difference to the temp.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I usually have my machine on for more then eight hours on the weekends. As the guy above said, it only gets so hot then it don't matter.
EphemeralDives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 EphemeralDives
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Just put a fan next to it, or spend the $20.00 to get one of those x360 cooler units to put under it.

E.

dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 dragon247uk
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts
mine is not that well ventilated but ive had it since march 07 and ive never had any trouble with it yet. im not too bothered either, its insured with microsoft and the store i bought it at.
CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#10 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
While my Xbox 360 does get very hot over time, I just keep a fan near the side of it to cool it down. There is no time limit for how long you should keep your 360 on. If there was such thing, I would have got rid of mine.
Col_Kilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Col_Kilgore
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

Is there noticeable signs of overheating, like with a PC? I've had my Xbox for about two years I guess and knock on wood, no problem. My PC use to overheat, or the graphics card would. I would get major pixelation and other visual distortions, and I knew my card was about to overheat and lock my PC up.

methanolmayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 methanolmayhem
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i play my xbox, non-stop, for over 18 hours sometimes. i lay it down horizontally and put two thin wooden slats from the back of an old kitchen chair under it to keep it from laying flat on the floor. then run a small fan on it. before i would set it up vertically and after 4-5 hours it would start to freeze up. you should take a little time once and awhile to clean the dust out of it.
Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts
What type of xbox do you have?
methanolmayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 methanolmayhem
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
the pro series. with hard drive. but the only thing i use it for is to play games. its those who use it as a jukebox/dvd player/media extender that in my experience end up seeing the pretty red lights.
Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

Well as long as its cool down and ventilated and then you can play on how long you want.

But I would say maybe every few hours then after that give the system a rest.