turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts
I have three reviews linked in my sig that I'd like for people to critique. Thanks in advance. (Metroid Zero Mission, Max Payne 3, Pokemon White Version 2).
zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5341 Posts

Thanks for your submission! I've put my remarks below in red for Max Payne 3's review. I thought it was pretty good and gave me enough information to make an informed decision on whether or not I would like the game without giving spoilers. I did feel that you used the word "however" a bit too much, but overall the sentence structure was varied and easy to read.

Max Payne 3 tells the story of, you guessed it, Max Payne. He is an ex-cop who is now working with a man named Passos, taking on various odd jobs like guarding various rich folks. From the opening, we learn that Max is still deeply anguished by the murder of his wife and daughter, and now he's fallen on painkillers and alcohol as a means to cope. We are also introduced to the type of cut scene that you will be viewing throughout the game; frequent filters are used to give the game a "blurry" effect, and images often double, or fade in and out of focus. This is obviously used to convey Max's state of mind, but it also gives the overall "look" a unique flare. Additionally, when a semi important phrase is spoken, the words will flash on screen, further adding to the sense of styIe.

And you had better get used to seeing scenes like the opening the game is filled with cutscenes right form the very beginning. Whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to you. I personally didn't mind it too much, although there were times where it felt like the scenes lasted a bit too long. This is, in part, because the plot of the game isn't anything too great. It's not bad by any means, but it's been done many times before.

Max is guarding a rich family in Sao Paulo. Things are going more or less okay; Max is enjoying his favorite poison, people are having a great time getting high/ drunk and the atmosphere is, overall, annoying but calm. (When using an adjective that is so unexpected, such as "annoying" as you did here, it should be explained.) It isn't long before a masked group sweeps in and kidnaps the (delete) two of the family's daughters, in the family (delete) each in their twenties, and Max sets out to save them. He succeeds in his mission, but a few weeks later, the same thing happens, and this time, the bad guys get away. From here there is drama and conspiracy aplenty, although I personally couldn't shake the feeling that I'd seen this similar kind of plot too many times before.

One redeeming quality to the story, however, is the writing. Max is constantly narrating in a gruff, world weary, cynical voice, and his script is incredibly well written. You can just hear the way the world has treated Max from the way he drones on and on and comments on how empty the lives of the rich seem to be. Not only that, but it adds some surprisingly dark humor to the proceedings. There are times where Max is just so dry and goofy in his wit that it's impossible not to at least grin.

This is in spite of the decidedly dark story, which treats human life with about as much value that dog crap will get you on eBay. That is to say, very little. No one is safe in this narrative, which does give it a slight air of unpredictability at times. The world of Max Payne is one of corruption, backstabbing and death, and this narrative definitely captures that feeling. (Great assessment!)

While the writing helps elevate the story, the gameplay is the main reason to take this ride. MP3 is a third person shooter that employs impressive bullet physics, slow motion and more traditional cover based gameplay to entertain the player.

Some may initially see nothing special with the game and, really, that's perfectly understandable if you're just looking at screenshots. You will be in cover for a good portion of the adventure, hoping that the enemies won't bring you down and popping out every now and again to take a few shots and hopefully eliminate the opposition a little. (You can't really eliminate something "a little", it's pretty much all or nothing! :) ) However, the game makes generous use of the well-known bullet time slow motion mechanics. It gives you an edge against increasingly overwhelming odds by allowing you to place precise shots with reflexes faster than your enemies. However, your meter for it is limited, and in order to refill it you must take more enemies down or take some damage.

Of course, there's also the shoot dodge mechanic that is nearly signature of Max Payne (from what I understand) (why would you not understand this? You shouldn't qualify your statement with something that diminishes your point of view; if you're not sure about the statement for no good reason, don't make it.). Max will leap in a direction you specify, and, during the movement, he is incredibly tough to hit. The idea is that you're supposed to be able to take numerous enemies down in a row while you leap, since time slows and you have an opportunity to shoot some dudes while they fumble about trying to kill you. When you nail the move, it's hugely entertaining, and quite awesome to observe. However, sometimes it doesn't work quite as well as is preferable. You may dive head first into a part of the environment, at which point the animation stops and Max slowly gets up from the ground. During this time, you're a sitting duck, which can lead to a frustrating death. This makes it so you really need to plan if you want to use it.

This is on top of the fact that Max is fairly fragile (he's hardly a bullet sponge) and that the AI is insanely aggressive. (This is a bit awkwardly worded, and you already began the previous sentence with the word "this" so it feels redundant.) If you simply wait behind cover and don't fire your gun enough, enemies will flank you, and you'll either end their life or you'll end theirs.(I think you meant to write "you'll either end their life or they'll end yours"?) Of course, if you have spare painkillers, you have a slight edge. You see, there is no regenerating health in this game, so damage is permanent until you can use painkillers to bring life back. If you are gunned down while you have painkillers, you are given a second chance. Max will slowly fall, but he can fire his gun at his assailant. If you gun the attacker down, you get back up and are thrown back into the action. It's a good system that requires you to be careful, but never so much that you can't take risks. (Nice assessment of the balance this feature provides.)

Other satisfying features of the game are the gun physics and the kill cams. Bullets in this game pack a real punch. They will tear visible holes through enemies, utterly wrecking their bodies. During shootouts, when you kill the last enemy in the immediate vicinity, the game will automatically go to a cinematic and awesome camera mode that shows the bullet move in slow motion until it reaches its target. At this point, you are free to pump more shots into the enemy (just for the sake of being gratuitous) and admire the hyper bloody and cool bullet physics. This game, needless to say, is not for the faint of heart. It is easily one of the more brutally violent games available, and that's saying something since games are more violent now than they've ever been.

But it's not just the blood effects that makes shooting so entertaining. It's the fact that the bullets have a visible impact on the enemy. Shoot them in the leg and they'll fall down. Shoot them in the torso, and they'll clearly balk at the impact. Shoot them in the arm and they'll likely drop their gun for a second or two. This, combined with the excellent gore, gives the guns a hugely powerful feeling, and it makes it all the more satisfying when you finally defeat the last enemy on the field.

But how is the campaign itself? Well, it's quite fun. It takes you across a good variety of locales over its somewhat short length (it's about ten or so hours the first time through). (How is the first time through different than other playthroughs?) No two stages look the same. In one, you'll be fighting your way through a night club, complete with flashing strobe lights and thumping music. In another, you'll be gunning down enemies in the slums of Sao Paulo. Each environment has excellent design and attention to detail. While they are fairly linear, there is some incentive for exploration in the form of golden gun parts. When you collect all three pieces to a given gun, each type of that gun you pick up after will be golden and will have some kind of upgrade applied to it such as extra ammo.

The only real disappointment with the campaign is that it doesn't mix things up a whole lot. That's not necessarily a bad thing since the shooting is so fun, but it would have been nice to have more sequences like in the second chapter where you have to snipe. That being said, the game does make a few attempts to mix things up, but they don't really pay off enough. There is a boss fight (pretty much the only one in the game) late in the game that, unfortunately, is more frustrating than fun, since it's tough to figure out exactly what to do. (Why is it difficult? Is it because it is so different from the rest of the gameplay that it doesn't make sense, or something else, like the expectation to utilize different topical commands that you haven't used in the game before and aren't explained?)

The graphics are uniformly good. They aren't the best ever made, but they are still quite good, especially during cut scenes. Max himself is incredibly well animated during both story scenes and battle, and other characters have just as much detail put into them. The sound is excellent, though. The gunfire sounds powerful, the voice actors give great performances (especially the actor for Max) and the other various sounds you'll hear are great.

Overall, Max Payne 3 is a good shooter for fans of the genre. The AI is challenging without being unfair, the gunplay has impact and production values and writing are top notch. The story feels a tad generic, and the game could stand to have more variety, but, all in all, MP3 delivers where it counts. So long, and thanks for reading. (Great summary!)

I have three reviews linked in my sig that I'd like for people to critique. Thanks in advance. (Metroid Zero Mission, Max Payne 3, Pokemon White Version 2).turtlethetaffer

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zyxe  Moderator

Please see my critique below in red. You had some great points in the review, but I did feel it was a bit too lengthy and described too much in some places as to potentially spoil some of the game.

Pokemon White 2 is a first for the popular Pokemon series. In previous generations, the games would typically follow a pattern of releasing the first two versions, then a "third complete" version that features all the things that were missing from the first two versions (ie. being able to catch both Legendary mascot Pokemon). However, Nintendo pulled the metaphorical rug out from under all of the gaming world, and instead released two new versions that are direct sequels to the original. How did this new approach pay off? Read on to find out. (I don't think you really need to say this, if the reader is here, they're likely going to do just that. A statement about how it paid off, without describing details as you will be doing so in the body of the review, would be more useful to the reader.)

The game begins much like other Pokemon games: you are a preteen boy or girl in a region in the Pokemon universe (in this case the game returns to Unova). It isn't long before you obtain your first Pokemon from the local Professor. You can choose from one of three Pokemon, each one a different type (fire, water, and grass). From there, you set off to get all eight of the region Pokemon Gym Badges in order to challenge the Elite Four, thereby becoming the strongest trainer in the land.

This is, at its core, the same Pokemon story we've been getting for years and years now. The only way you can tell that a little more thought went into this version is that there are several references/ changes or additions in the world than were present in the original Black/ White games. (I don't understand what this means or how it shows that more thought went into this version of the game.) The problem is that, where the originals used some new plot devices such as two rivals who were previously childhood friends and a morally ambiguous enemy Team, Black/ White 2 fail to summon the same feeling of novelty. (Now I'm confused: is this a review for White 2 or Black/White 2, or Black 2 and White 2?) Team Plasma, who weren't quite as arguably bad as other teams since their philosophy was freeing Pokemon from Trainers, has now been split into two parts, the good and the bad (or Black and White, if you prefer) (If I prefer? I don't understand this, if it's part of the story, then it's not subjective). It completely removes any interesting ideas the original stories had (although since most players already know that Team Plasma was, ultimately, power hungry and evil, the same approach would have just been redundant and boring). Because of this, the story in this game is nowhere near as interesting as the originals. Not only that, but many plot elements feel forced or fake.

For instance, your rival in this game is furious at Team Plasma for some unknown event that happened five years prior to Black/ White 2. When you do find out why exactly he's so furious, it comes off as incredibly cheesy and implausible. Additionally, the pacing of the storytelling is a little off Team Plasma is barely in the game until the final few gym badges, but the conflict ends so quickly that any even remote sense of tension that could have been there is just gone. (Excellent overall critique without giving away the key elements of the plot.)

Ultimately, the story is barely even mediocre. There is a certain sense of nostalgia that comes from exploring Unova and seeing how it's changed after the two years of in-game time have passed, but the strength of the writing simply isn't strong (redundant - "but the quality of the writing isn't strong enough") enough to warrant any interest.

Thankfully, it's not so invasive that sitting through the many story scenes feels boring. This is Pokemon, and the focus is still on the simple but deep battle system and Pokemon collecting. This time around, Unova is filled with around 300 Pokemon for you to collect, spanning all the previous generations of the games. It's a staggering amount that hasn't really been seen before. On top of that, there are lots of new places to explore in Unova that weren't present in the original game, and a good chunk of new features and side activities to extend play time.

For instance, there is the Join Avenue, which is a shopping strip that you run. Here, you can encounter people with a dream to open shops. If you allow them to open one, you will gain access to hard to find items or services that can be quite useful (such as a gym that can instantly raise the level of one of your Pokemon). It's a neat little place that can be quite involving if you choose to pursue the side quest. Another somewhat neat feature is Pokestar Studios. Here, you can read from a script and star in your very own movie. Each movie is basically a minigame where you need to memorize what the script said and choose and action form a list that you feel best fits what went with the script. Depending on how well you followed it, the movie will make a certain amount of money. It's a decent little diversion that can be quite fun. (I feel like you're giving away a little too much of the details in this paragraph; I know you're trying to show the benefits of some additions to the game, but I feel it should be edited more.)

One of the bigger additions is the Pokemon World Tournament. Here, you can take on various gym leaders or important story characters from various different games in the series. It functions much like the Battle areas in other games, like Battle Tower or Frontier, in that you earn Battle Points based upon how successful you are in the competition. Not only that, but it's highly nostalgic to face off against characters from other games in the series.

There is also a random dungeon of sorts that unlocks after you beat the game. There are ten Areas for you to accomplish, and they're all different every time, which leads to good replay value. Basically, in each area, you need to perform two tasks: The first is defeat the Gate Trainer, who controls the door that leads to the Area Boss. When you beat the Area Boss, you beat the area, and are free to move on to the next, or replay it to your heart's content. However, it's not as simple as it sounds. You see, you can't use recovery items, and Nurses are only able to be used once. On top of that, almost every room has at least one trainer in it, and you don't know which one is the Gate Trainer. But, when you beat someone, they'll often give you a hint about who the Gate Trainer is. It creates a rewarding system of both strategy and planning. Additionally, the Areas get progressively tougher as you go on. Eventually, they'll have up to four floors per Area. It's a challenging, but rewarding new feature, and it's great for training high level Pokemon since you gain EXP and money from the trainers. (Again, I feel this is too much exposition and it would be better to simply state that there is a random dungeon that unlocks after beating the game, and that there are 10 in all, with a very brief note about why it's interesting and how it give the game a bit of replay value.)

There is also a new Medal System that functions much like Achievements or Trophies on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Basically, you complete a certain challenge and you receive a Medal for it. Some of them are rather simple, such as saving a certain amount of times, or winning a hundred battles against trainers. Others are much more difficult, such as beating the Elite Four with one Pokemon or completing hundreds of trades. It's an interesting system that offers neat rewards for challenging yourself and being social with other Pokemon players.(Excellent and succinct description of a new feature.)

Sadly, much of the optional content feels like fluff. It's cool that they added new features to the game, but ultimately, it feels more like filler than brand new content. While some additions, like the Pokemon World Tournament and the random dungeon mentioned above, are great, others just feel almost pointless. The Medal system, while kind of cool, just feels like an excuse to add some kind of completionist list of activities to do. Pokestar Studios also feels overall pointless Aside from earning Medals and just playing the game, there isn't really any tangible reward or reason to play it too much.

Additionally, the game feels far too restrictive during the story. It isn't until after you beat the game that the region finally opens up to you and you're free to more or less do what you want. But during the main storyline, the game will often restrict you, forcing you to go in a certain direction.

Finally, the lack of new Pokemon (apart from new Kyurem forms) really gives the game a somewhat stale aftertaste. For instance, why should I train a Volcarona when I've already trained one to high levels in Pokemon White just the year before? Why should I catch the three dogs of Unova when I already have them in White?

At the end of the day, though, this is still Pokemon. It's lots of fun to fight and train your little critters, and there is a large abundance of rare Pokemon to catch from previous generations. The fact that the game adds so many features is a plus, but the lack of anything truly new makes this game feel much more like an expansion pack than a brand new Pokemon game. The game almost seems to contradict itself while the story makes it clear the game is for people who have played Black or White, the fact that most of the Pokemon seen in the game are in the previous versions means that people who haven't played Black or White will get the most enjoyment out of the game. If you're a Pokemon fan, and are craving something to tide you over until X and Y come out, Pokemon Black or White 2 should do the trick. However, don't expect to be as wowed by Unova this time around, in spite of its new features. If you haven't played the original games, this is the game to get It has tons more content to offer, and it will all seem fresh to someone who hasn't already journeyed through Unova before.

So long and thanks for reading.(Since this appears to be your own signature for your reviews, I'd separate it from the body of the text, maybe even italicize it.)

I have three reviews linked in my sig that I'd like for people to critique. Thanks in advance. (Metroid Zero Mission, Max Payne 3, Pokemon White Version 2).turtlethetaffer

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zyxe  Moderator

I did enjoy this submission, though I felt it, too, was a bit lengthy. You also use the word "basically" a lot and had quite a bit of redundancy with some of the descriptions. I did enjoy some key points you made about the game, and I think with a bit of editing it could be one of the better reviews out there!

When was the last time a game really challenged you? When was the last time defeating a boss felt like the end all, be all triumph? When was the last time a game forced you to consider death as a tactic and not necessarily a failure? If you play Dark Souls, the answer to all those questions will be "very recently." (Saying the phrase, "very recently" feels like a let down when the rest of the paragraph has built up to this very moment! Perhaps making more of a statement about how, if you decide to plunge into Dark Souls, you won't have to search far for these answers. Otherwise, great build up.)

The game begins with a somewhat short cut scene that details the history of a land known as Lordran. Long story short, a king discovered Flame, and used it to overpower the almost God like dragons, along with the help of a scaleless dragon named Seath. When the war was won, the king, Gwyn, split up an object known as the Lord Soul to his most trusted individuals. However, the First Flame began to die, and, when that happened, the world went completely to hell.(This happened when the First Flame began to die, or after it died?) Once bustling and populated cities turned barren as the populace became undead monsters, known as Hollows, which are undead beings who become crazy and homicidal. Now, the once grand kingdom of Lordran is more or less a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Since all Undeads eventually turn into Hollows, they are brought to an asylum on a cliff in order to prevent danger befalling the few remaining people who are alive. This is where the game begins. After you create a character by choosing their gender, physique, class (more on that in a bit) and Gift (which is where you choose from a set of items that have various different effects), the game throws you into a jail cell in the asylum, and you are given control. The game gives you a broken sword and the armor of your class to start with, but it isn't long before you gain the shield and weapon of your class. In my case, I chose a Knight, who gets some pretty decent armor and a good sword for the beginning of the game.

The Undead asylum is, essentially, the game's tutorial level, although I say that with the loosest meaning on the word. The most you get are some messages scribbled on the ground about the basics of combat. All they tell you about are the different types of actions at your disposal, like blocking with a shield, running, light attacks, strong attacks, and a few others. However, they don't tell you anything about how to use magic, what kind of weapons do what kind of attacks, and much more. This becomes immediately apparent when the game throws its first boss at you. The most help you get is a conveniently placed message detailing how to attack while falling. Even then, it doesn't guarantee victory against the boss.

This reflects how the rest of the game goes. You are given little to no guidance on where to go and what to do there is no quest log, no pointing arrow, no context given as to what your overall goal is. The game's way of telling you where to go is, basically, dying.(This sentence doesn't quite make sense, does the game tell you where to go by letting you die when you've chosen the incorrect path?) A lot. If you are in a new area, and are being continuously killed in one or two hits, then there's a good chance that there is something else for you to do first. Just what that is is up to you to find out.

Now, I don't dislike the idea of this. It makes it all the more rewarding when you finally figure out how to progress, or where to go. However, playing offline, the game more or less requires a guide to beat, even for the most intrepid and determined player. The way the online gameplay is designed is that you will receive hints from other players via messages on the ground. This is good for people with online access, but for people without, it pretty much means a guide is in order. (You stated this previously.) While nothing in the game is too obtuse, there are a few objectives that are very obscure and nigh impossible to figure out without external guidance.

While figuring out what to do is a challenge in and of itself, getting there is, in many ways, tougher. Combat is not a guns-blazing affair. If you charge into a group of more than two enemies during your first time traveling through an area, there's a very good chance that you will meet with a swift end. You see, Dark Souls is the kind of a game where every action you do requires planning. Attacking an enemy is slow and deliberate, and it eats up your Stamina bar (along with actions like blocking an attack, sprinting and others). Almost no weapon in the game offers a really fast method of attacking, so that means that each swing of your weapon needs to be precise; missing an enemy leaves you wide open, and enemies in this game will take advantage of that. When first traveling through an area, enemies can take you down in a few hits. Of course, assuming you're using a good weapon, you can do the same to them. Really, the game puts you on more or less even ground with enemies, at least early in the game. But this system of deliberate attacks forces you to be careful. (You stated this previously.) When you successfully defeat an enemy, you gain Souls, which can be used for many different tasks, such as leveling up, buying new equipment, upgrading said equipment, or powering up spell casting items.

Of course, you are bound to die in this game. It's not even a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when." The game's checkpoint system employs bonfires. Resting at these restores your amount of healing potions and attunes your magic, among other things. If you die, you are sent back to the last bonfire you rested at; however, you lose all the Souls you had in your possession. All is not lost, though. If you can make it back to the area where you died, you can find your Bloodstain, which holds all the souls you lost. The catch is that every time you rest at a bonfire or die, all of the enemies in the area reset. Should you die again while trying to reclaim lost souls, the Bloodstain disappears forever, taking all of your precious souls with it.

This system may seem punishing, but, in reality, it forces you to be careful. (This is the third time you've made this statement, even though it's about different aspects of the game, it sounds like you're trying to say it for the first time.)  Not only does carelessness lead to death, but it can lead to a loss of your lifeblood, since souls are so crucial to character development. It also forces you to make tough decisions Should you try and reclaim your souls and risk losing them, or should you simply leave and grind for a while in an earlier area? The constant threat of death and loss of progress makes the game incredibly tense; every enemy encounter can either further bolster your character or set you back for hours. Every swing of the sword either brings you one step closer to victory, or towards a swift defeat.

Since the game is challenging, replaying an area a few times will definitely help ease the challenge a bit. It encourages you to learn from your mistakes. But, it's a double edged sword. Since enemies respawn in the same place every time, it leads to repetition, and a lot of it. If you die a lot, you are going to need to fight through the same sets of enemies more times than you may care to. While it's still rewarding to finally reach the next bonfire, getting there can easily turn frustrating and tedious. Of course, if you're playing correctly, you should only die a few times before it finally clicks and you push on through the difficulty. Still, dying over and over can be very discouraging, especially when it's on a boss that required you to fight through ten minutes of the level to reach. Almost any player is bound to be frustrated at some point while playing this game I know there were more than a few instances of four letter words being hurled at the screen during my own playthrough.

The high level of challenge also leads to a high level of reward. There is an overwhelming sense of satisfaction from finally delivering the deathblow to one of the hulking monstrosities of the bosses, or form earning enough souls to final level up. Granted, this feeling is soon shattered when you decide to stop basking in the glow of victory and move on, but the feeling of accomplishment is one of the driving forces of the game.

Despite the odds often being stacked against you, there are plenty of opportunities to try and even them a bit, since the game offers in depth customization. For instance, the fact that the game gives you the choice of what class to start as is a little misleading. Every time you level up, you can increase a certain attribute by one. That means that, if you start off as a mage, you could theoretically end the game as a tank character who can wield all manner of weapons, or a fast character that uses critical attacks to win. It all depends on how you upgrade your statistics.

On top of triumphing against bad odds and upgrading your character, the simple fun of exploring the highly varied world is a good reason to keep playing. Each area is incredibly distinct in its feeling and atmosphere. For instance, the Undead Burg is just what it sounds like A city long taken over by the undead. Another area is a dark, oppressive and rickety old city in the sewers of Lordran, created by mutated freaks. The visuals do a lot to help keep the variety coming, thanks to the visuals' strong artistic design. Enemies, architecture, armor, weapons all look great. The sound, on the other hand, consists mostly of the sounds of battle and some very subtle ambient music, making it somewhat forgettable.

Aside from a few problems with the game's structure, the technical side of the game tends to be shoddy. There are a few areas in the game where the frame rate takes a noticeable dip, and may sometimes even freeze for a second or two. Also, there may be times where the camera gets caught up on something, creating an awkward viewing perspective. Also, the lock on camera can be problematic. Later in the game, there's an area with huge enemies who can hit you when you can't hit them, or target them, which leads to frustration when you're trying to run away but can't shield their attacks. (Is this due to the camera angle issue?) There are a few other inconsistencies here and there, too. While rare, they are mostly forgivable, but it can still be frustrating when you're in the heat of battle and the camera suddenly misbehaves, causing unneccessary deaths such as falling off a narrow ledge you're standing on.

Overall, Dark Souls is an RPG worth playing for those who really want a challenge. The rewarding challenge, precise and deliberate combat and the good visual design and atmosphere makes it more than good enough for die hard RPG fans. However, the game isn't for everyone, since the very way the game is structured leads to repetition and often times frustration. There are also some noticeable technical foibles, and sometimes the game goes from "challenging" to "cheap" (the Curse status halves your max HP until you get it cured, and it stacks, which means you could be running around with a quarter of your total HP with no way of fixing it). Despite these issues I have with the game, Dark Souls is well worth the time and effort.

So long and thanks for reading.