zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

Great read. THIS is what I want to see from you, a more personal analysis instead of a long summary with little analysis. I would caution against trying to refer too much to what you'd already stated (using "the latter" too much, or "previously named" ship, stuff like that) on a long piece because it's a lot to absorb.

This was also one of the only horror films I've been able to watch, it was truly interesting. As I was reading your editorial, I started thinking about my own journey through religion and science, and how you are correct that people do tend to fill in the "void" (or gaps in our scientific knowledge) with religion, but also that they often deem the unknown as evil. Looking through the persecution of many scientists over the course of history for trying to explain and demystify the unknown gives many examples of this. I do believe that it's more a fear of change that these people are exhibiting than a rational tie to religion, whereas they are comfortable with "the way things are" and scientific breakthroughs that can change life as we know it are deemed as overreaching and ultimately harming us. 

In other words, the movie illustrates that something world-changing like faster than light (FTL) travel is seen as overreaching our place in the universe, and by experimenting with it, we damn ourselves.  In my opinion, this is ultimately hiding behind religion to cover up a fear of change, and I don't think it has anything to do with the actual religion. In my own pursuit of science, I've found that science and religion do not have to be mutually exclusive. Just a side note and how I see this kind of analysis being so interesting.