What is your biggest issue with Nintendo Network (online on Wii U), really?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'm going to list out everything that the Wii U does with its online service, good and bad. I know there are several ways Nintendo is behind in the online arena, but the way people talk about it, it's like we're still stuck in the days of Wii and game specific friend codes. 

NINTENDO NETWORK

+ Free online play
+ Supports DLC and patches
+ Supports self publishing for indie games
+ Easy framework for devs to port existing games on other platforms, including Xbox and PlayStation, but also WebKit games, iOS and Android apps, and so on
+ Integrated online social network (Miiverse); allows for instantaneous communication via text chat (formatted text and custom text), screenshot sharing, voice chat, video chat, and more.
+ No Friend Codes, unique usernames, notification system for friends
+ OS level messaging that can be accessed at any time
+ Miiverse itself includes communties and boards for every game for discussion of games, as well as tips and help, where needed
+ Background downloads and download management, so that you can download multiple games at once even when you are playing other games
- Purchases are tied to your account, which, in turn is tied to your hardwae (functionally the same as your games being tied to your hardware)
- Headset is not included with every system, meaning voice chat is not supported at an OS level.
- No cross game chat
- Their online network is not integrated across 3DS and Wii U 

So what is it about it that sucks so much, really? I'm interested in knowing, because it looks like a lot of people assume that the Wii U's online is similar to the Wii, that is, crap.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
The reason people have a problem with it is because they value PSN and Live's setup as the only way to do it.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
It's worse than XBox live was in 2002 but so was psn up until around 2010
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

I'm going to list out everything that the Wii U does with its online service, good and bad. I know there are several ways Nintendo is behind in the online arena, but the way people talk about it, it's like we're still stuck in the days of Wii and game specific friend codes. 

NINTENDO NETWORK

+ Free online play
+ Easy framework for devs to port existing games on other platforms, including Xbox and PlayStation, but also WebKit games, iOS and Android apps, and so on
+ Integrated online social network (Miiverse); allows for instantaneous communication via text chat (formatted text and custom text), screenshot sharing, voice chat, video chat, and more.
+ Miiverse itself includes communties and boards for every game for discussion of games, as well as tips and help, where needed
+ Background downloads and download management, so that you can download multiple games at once even when you are playing other games
- Purchases are tied to your account, which, in turn is tied to your hardwae (functionally the same as your games being tied to your hardware)
- Headset is not included with every system, meaning voice chat is not supported at an OS level.
- No cross game chat

So what is it about it that sucks so much, really? I'm interested in knowing, because it looks like a lot of people assume that the Wii U's online is similar to the Wii, that is, crap.

charizard1605

Doesn't the gamepad have a mic? why do we need a headset?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bbkkristian

It's not integrated with the 3DS.

That's my biggest problem with it.

Slashkice
True, I really am looking forward to their collaboration.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Slashkice
Actually yeah, I should put that in the OP. The eShop, at the very least, should be unified.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

It's awful because no sane individual will use it to play multiplayer games.  Nintendo will never be able to fix that.  They completetly lost out on the multiplayer gaming crowd and it was their own fault.  

The fact that it is a decade behind XBL and PSN doesn't help either.  

It really is a terrible service.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

It's awful because no sane individual will use it to play multiplayer games.  Nintendo will never be able to fix that.  They completetly lost out on the multiplayer gaming crowd and it was their own fault.  

Fizzman
Again, how is it behind? Why will no one use it? What exactly makes it behind? Do you even know what you are talking about or are you just spouting the same nonsense again?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Slashkice
Ditto for what I was going to say coming into this thread.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Charizard didn't Nintendo say they are fixing it so that purchases will be tied to the account but you can then move the accounts to other systems.

I heard Nintendo is supposed to implement it before the end of this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Charizard didn't Nintendo say they are fixing it so that purchases will be tied to the account but you can then move the accounts to other systems.

Nintendo_Ownes7
I didn't say it because at the current moment it's not there; as it stands, that does remain a weakness of the system. The accounts update is in October, I think.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consoles
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

charizard1605

I didn't say it because at the current moment it's not there; as it stands, that does remain a weakness of the system. The accounts update is in October, I think.

Okay; I don't know why they say it is bad I think it is pretty good so far though I hardly play online. Indie developers do like Nintendo's system for helping Indie developers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolesTheKingIAm
How is it not?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bbkkristian
Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolesTheKingIAm
How, aside from the issues represented?
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

charizard1605

Again, how is it behind? Why will no one use it? What exactly makes it behind? Do you even know what you are talking about or are you just spouting the same nonsense again?

I did describe why it's awful.  No individual who regularly plays games online will look at the Wii U and buy a multiplayer game for it.  The network itself is slow and outdated. It felt like i was using XBL circa 2004.  This did not surprise me since Nintendo sucks at online.  

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
my only real issue is system-bound games, and even that is not enough for me to stop buying digitally.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolesbbkkristian

Honestly, most ppl bash it because it's nintendo and most ppl never used it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Okay; I don't know why they say it is bad I think it is pretty good so far though I hardly play online. Indie developers do like Nintendo's system for helping Indie developers.

People say it's bad because they flat out don't know anything about it; in this thread, only Slashkice had a legitimate issue with it so far, and one that, as you pointed out, is being fixed before this year ends. Everyone else is spouting the same nonsense without actually backing said nonsense up.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23976 Posts

My Only issue with Nintendo Network is that it is system bound and isnt accross multiple consoles. Other than that I have no complaints.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS

Nintendo_Ownes7

except the japanese indies :P i feel like a lot of indie support on nintendo systems (namely the kickstarter games that set "wii u version" as a stretch goal) come from the fact that the devs are nintendo fans themselves, and making a game for nintendo is kind of their childhood dream :P
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolescharizard1605
How is it not?

It's slower and clunkier. Nothing that cant be fixed though (if they know how)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Fizzman

I did describe why it's awful.  No individual who regularly plays games online will look at the Wii U and buy a multiplayer game for it.  The network itself is slow and outdated. It felt like i was using XBL circa 2004.  This did not surprise me since Nintendo sucks at online.  

But the network is neither slow nor outdated; what was the last Nintendo Network game you played? Did you play any Nintendo Network game at all? It sounds like you played Brawl back on the Wii, which is admittedly bad and no one is defending. What do you mean no one will play a multiplayer game on it? Of course they will- how else do you play SSB or Mario Kart online?
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Fizzman

What game were you playing and what issue were you having?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

NINTENDO NETWORK

+ Free online play
- No cross game chat

conkertheking1

it does. matter of fact, video calls are a feature of the wii u.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolesTheKingIAm
How is it not?

WHERE is it slow and clunky? The OS, yes, that is slow and clunky, but that has NOTHING to do with the online itself, which is not.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The main gripe I had was how the accounts were tied across the 3DS and Wii U. If Nintendo really is fixing that by the end of the year though then I'll quite satisfied. :)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

charizard1605

Is the accounts update going to make games I purchase on the Wii U's VC playable on the 3DS? That would be pretty great. There really is no excuse for that not being the case already, actually.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

NINTENDO NETWORK

+ Free online play
- No cross game chat

BrunoBRS

it does. matter of fact, video calls are a feature of the wii u.

The mic on the gamepad doesn't work with online play for some reason, though. You have to get a headset. Honestly, since there is no way to turn your gamepad's mic off, and lots of people blare music when they game, this is probably a blessing. There really should be a button on the gamepad to enable and disable your mic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

PurpleMan5000

Is the accounts update going to make games I purchase on the Wii U's VC playable on the 3DS? That would be pretty great. There really is no excuse for that not being the case already, actually.

I think it was rumored there'd be a fee to get them to work, like a dollar or something
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] How is it not?

WHERE is it slow and clunky? The OS, yes, that is slow and clunky, but that has NOTHING to do with the online itself, which is not.

The OS isn't even that bad after the last update. It could still be a bit better, but it was awful at launch.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Having your digital downloads tied to the hardware rather than an account out in cyberspace is my biggest problem. I've had a couple breakins in the past(nothing stolen for some reason), and if someone were to steal the system, I lose my digital games. One of the great things about Steam and Origin is that, since your account isn't system-tied, you can redownload your games on another platform. I'd like to have this same luxury on the Wii U.

Everything else is practically a non-issue. I usually don't talk when playing online unless I'm playing a co-op campaign, so the lack of a mic and OS-level voice chat doesn't bother me.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
My problem with it is that its nintendo
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Again, how is it behind? Why will no one use it? What exactly makes it behind? Do you even know what you are talking about or are you just spouting the same nonsense again?PurpleMan5000

Mario Kart and Brawl.  Those were the only two games that had me remotely interested in using the MP network on the Wii.  Both were laggy and just poorly done.  It definitely wasn't my internet since i have my PS3 and 360 hooked up to the same network and those ran flawlessly.  

Fortunately for me, the only games i really care for from Nintendo are, Zelda and Mario (Main series titles)  and neither of those games are MP oriented.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Fizzman

Mario Kart and Brawl.  Those were the only two games that had me remotely interested in using the MP network on the Wii.  Both were laggy and just poorly done.  It definitely wasn't my internet since i have my PS3 and 360 hooked up to the same network and those ran flawlessly.  

Fortunately for me, the only games i really care for from Nintendo are, Zelda and Mario (Main series titles)  and neither of those games are MP oriented.  

Except, and I can't stress this enough times, the online network on Wii is nothing like the online network on Wii U, which is in fact fully caught up. I outlined all this in the OP. Your issues are with the Wii's online, which, yes, sucked. The Wii U's online is fine.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nintendo_Ownes7

Having your digital downloads tied to the hardware rather than an account out in cyberspace is my biggest problem. I've had a couple breakins in the past(nothing stolen for some reason), and if someone were to steal the system, I lose my digital games. One of the great things about Steam and Origin is that, since your account isn't system-tied, you can redownload your games on another platform. I'd like to have this same luxury on the Wii U.

Everything else is practically a non-issue. I usually don't talk when playing online unless I'm playing a co-op campaign, so the lack of a mic and OS-level voice chat doesn't bother me.

YearoftheSnake5

I mentioned in my post that Nintendo is fixing it with before the end of the year so that the accounts aren't tied to your system and the purchases will be tied to the account.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YearoftheSnake5

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I mentioned in my post that Nintendo is fixing it with before the end of the year so that the accounts aren't tied to your system and the purchases will be tied to the account.

I heard about that, but it's still an issue until then. When that rolls around, it will be a huge relief for me.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Ppl bash Nintendo network because it'snot even up to par with last gen consolesTheKingIAm

Actually he was right, the biggest problem with Nintendo network is that it is old and dated.  Nintendo is just catching up with their online policies.  Its one of the biggest faults of the system imo.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] What game were you playing and what issue were you having?charizard1605

Except, and I can't stress this enough times, the online network on Wii is nothing like the online network on Wii U, which is in fact fully caught up. I outlined all this in the OP. Your issues are with the Wii's online, which, yes, sucked. The Wii U's online is fine.

Simply checking off all the boxes on a list of features doesn't mean the Wii U's online is fully caught up. PSN was a by-far worse experience than Xbox Live and PC online through first few years of PS3 despite checking off those same boxes, and it's still a worse experience in 2013.

All the features listed could be found on the PC in the 90s, and most of them were in the original Xbox Live as well. So the Wii U has at least caught up to 11 years ago.

Sometimes it's not simply about crossing off a check list. It's all about the end-user experience. How well is it all integrated? How fast and efficient is it? How intuitive is its design?

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"] How, aside from the issues represented?mexicangordo

Actually he was right, the biggest problem with Nintendo network is that it is old and dated.  Nintendo is just catching up with their online policies.  Its one of the biggest faults of the system imo.

Yes, it is old and outdated but most ppl wouldn'tknow bbecause they never used it
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fizzman

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Honestly, most ppl bash it because it's nintendo and most ppl never used itTheKingIAm

Yes, it is old and outdated but most ppl wouldn'tknow bbecause they never used it

And most gamers will never use it.  That right there tell's you all you need to know about Nintendo's network.  

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

It doesn't get DLC for alot of games. COD, Injustice and Batman spring to mind.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nintendo_Ownes7

Obviously_Right

But it is capable of getting DLC.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Honestly I don't think it sucks really, just that it could be quite a bit better.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Obviously_Right
This. No headset Fvcking demo limits
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

But it is capable of getting DLC.

Ok? It still doesn't. Why?

It lacks support. Why?

Because nobody plays on it. Why?

Because its behind the curve. Why?

Because Nintendo ignored the rise of Online Multiplayer. Why?

Because itsNintendo.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YearoftheSnake5

Obviously_Right

It actually does have DLC for Injustice(though not all of it). That's a developer/publisher decision.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
The WiiU online is pretty good. My biggest gripe is the fact that Nintendo doesn't include online multiplayer in their games or when they do its not very robust. It should have been in Pikman. I'm hoping for MKart they will have real leadboards and a decent match making system but I doubt they will.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PurpleMan5000

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Actually he was right, the biggest problem with Nintendo network is that it is old and dated.  Nintendo is just catching up with their online policies.  Its one of the biggest faults of the system imo.

Fizzman

And most gamers will never use it.  That right there tell's you all you need to know about Nintendo's network.  

It's actually pretty hard to not use it in Zombiu. You would have to create a new offline account to play the game and not get the messages from other players and find their zombie bodies roaming around. I'm sure Wind Waker will be the same way. Other players will stumble upon my love letters to Zelda that I toss to the sea whether they want to or not. If Anthony Weiner has a Link roaming around out there, just you watch out. It really is every bit as integrated as the online on the PS3. The system is not built around online like the 360 is, though, so it doesn't feel quite as smooth as Xbox Live.