Witcher 2 Full combat rebalance mod is out! Download now!

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

It still plays like a bad action game.

ShimmerMan
And you still post like a bad troll.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#52 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I'm Just telling it how it is. To strafe with the new combat system the player has to toggle running mode off first... so the combat now involves toggling run off and then pressing A-D to strafe and then toggling run off to have mobilty but no strafe. These devs are clueless, this is the most clumbersome strafing mechanic I've seen.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i can't figure for the life of me how to do some of the stuff the patch notes say i should be able to. like parrying any blow that comes from the front, or strafing when locked on. lock on still feels completely useless and geralt still runs like an idiot.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#54 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts
  • Added strafing while being locked on an enemy and walking.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

[QUOTE="Shatilov"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

A mod. You will need to download it off the mod page.

They were gonna do a patch but the 360 owners would be left out as CDPR didnt' wanna pay the $40,000 to patch the game (and every patch after to tweak it) so it's just a mod for the PC version. It allows them t tweak it constantly and allow gamers to do so too with the Redkit

wis3boi

WTF are u saying, 40k for a patch !!!! why, patch supposed to be free !! right ? :S

that's not how business works

explain it to me then please.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Shatilov"] WTF are u saying, 40k for a patch !!!! why, patch supposed to be free !! right ? :S Shatilov

that's not how business works

explain it to me then please.

sony/microsoft own the services which apply and host the patches for the 360/ps3. Developers must pay a fee and have a 2-4 week approval period before a patch/update can go live on a console game, that fee is the $40,000.  This is, for example, why TF2 on consoles has zero updates..among memory issues as well

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="alan_carter"]

Wait, is this a mod or an official patch?

Shatilov

They were gonna do a patch but the 360 owners would be left out as CDPR didnt' wanna pay the $40,000 to patch the game (and every patch after to tweak it) so it's just a mod for the PC version. It allows them t tweak it constantly and allow gamers to do so too with the Redkit

WTF are u saying, 40k for a patch !!!! why, patch supposed to be free !! right ? :S

Patches on Steam are free but patching on steam means patching on 360 and MS charges 40,000 per patch

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 BrunoBRS

well, i gave it a try. and it still sucks ass.

locking on is still pointless and cumbersome and can't be shifted between multiple targets, geralt still moves around like an idiot, strafing is useless, the combat is still clunky, and all those "new animations" seem to trigger at random, because most of the time geralt is still rolling around.

and f*ck that prologue, why can't i skip it? it's so bad :x

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Their official website seems to be down.  It won't load at all.  OH well.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Shatilov"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Patches on Steam are free but patching on steam means patching on 360 and MS charges 40,000 per patch

MS sucks so much ass lol. Not only that but you have to go through days or even weeks of MS certification and recertification.  Most developers will tell you they hate it, let alone having to pay a lot of money for it too.

Read it here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-59b71619573a1

locking on is still pointless and cumbersome and can't be shifted between multiple targets, geralt still moves around like an idiot, strafing is useless, the combat is still clunky, and all those "new animations" seem to trigger at random, because most of the time geralt is still rolling around.

BrunoBRS

I loathe that prologue too and it puts me off replaying the game EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Also I just tried the mod too and I can't even see a difference. He didn't do anything new while fighting and I didn't even know the mod was activated until I stood still and Geralt auto blocked attacks. If he didn't do that I would have swore that it wasn't on :? 

Seems I was hyped for nothing

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

I'm in middle of chapter 2, do i have to start a brand new game again? :?

seanmcloughlin

You don't HAVE to, but it would be wise. Mods like this can usually mess up save games

Dang, well I'll have to debate whether I should restart my current save as I'm pretty far. But if it makes the combat better it might be worth it, plus I can make some prep saves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

I'm in middle of chapter 2, do i have to start a brand new game again? :?

EliteM0nk3y

You don't HAVE to, but it would be wise. Mods like this can usually mess up save games

Dang, well I'll have to debate whether I should restart my current save as I'm pretty far. But if it makes the combat better it might be worth it, plus I can make some prep saves.

I just tried it with an old save and it was fine so I dunno. But the tweaks to balance may warrant a restart cos your Geralt might be a lot betetr off for it later on

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

seanmcloughlin

I loathe that prologue too and it puts me off replaying the game EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Also I just tried the mod too and I can't even see a difference. He didn't do anything new while fighting and I didn't even know the mod was activated until I stood still and Geralt auto blocked attacks. If he didn't do that I would have swore that it wasn't on :? 

well it certainly put me off replaying it now. but seriously. CDPR. look at zelda. look at dark souls. get at least the BASICS of third person combat right. i need strafing. i need lock-on management. i need to be able to block on my own, not rely on calculations and clunky movement controls to block. i need feedback. i need a proper dodge. if i have to press two buttons to even get to strafing, and i can't even switch the lock-on from target to target in a group situation, then the lock-on might as well not be there. if the lock-on goes away as soon as the enemy dies, instead of jumping to the next target, then it might as well not be there. please don't kill TW3 with another broken combat system. 3D combat has been mastered since F*CKING 1998. it's not that hard. i promise.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Elann2008
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

BrunoBRS

well it certainly put me off replaying it now. but seriously. CDPR. look at zelda. look at dark souls. get at least the BASICS of third person combat right. i need strafing. i need lock-on management. i need to be able to block on my own, not rely on calculations and clunky movement controls to block. i need feedback. i need a proper dodge. if i have to press two buttons to even get to strafing, and i can't even switch the lock-on from target to target in a group situation, then the lock-on might as well not be there. if the lock-on goes away as soon as the enemy dies, instead of jumping to the next target, then it might as well not be there. please don't kill TW3 with another broken combat system. 3D combat has been mastered since F*CKING 1998. it's not that hard. i promise.

So are you saying this mod doesn't allow you to dodgeroll? Or block? Because the vanilla combat you could do both. I would love to try it for myself but I can't get the site to load.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Elann2008

So are you saying this mod doesn't allow you to dodgeroll? Or block? Because the vanilla combat you could do both. I would love to try it for myself but I can't get the site to load.

It does allow both but now he auto blocks if you stand still and sometimes instead of rolling he does a pirouette

XanaduTheBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 XanaduTheBand
Member since 2005 • 2971 Posts
I just bought the Witcher 2 and have never played either one. Should I run the mod from the get go or just play it vanilla?
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I just bought the Witcher 2 and have never played either one. Should I run the mod from the get go or just play it vanilla?XanaduTheBand

I played through the campaign at launch on the hard difficulty just fine. A lot of people qq'd about the combat though.

Depends on whether you like dark/demon souls, as I hear the vanilla combat is similar to those.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="XanaduTheBand"]I just bought the Witcher 2 and have never played either one. Should I run the mod from the get go or just play it vanilla?topgunmv

I played through the campaign at launch on the hard difficulty just fine. A lot of people qq'd about the combat though.

Depends on whether you like dark/demon souls, as I hear the vanilla combat is similar to those.

Vanilla is nothing like Dark Souls, Dark Souls's combat is fun and awsome
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#70 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Is it me or is the page too slow?
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 robokill
I suggest the torrent, I am installing the mod right now, will post an objective review in an hour (if it works)
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#72 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

I'm Just telling it how it is. To strafe with the new combat system the player has to toggle running mode off first... so the combat now involves toggling run off and then pressing A-D to strafe and then toggling run off to have mobilty but no strafe. These devs are clueless, this is the most clumbersome strafing mechanic I've seen.

ShimmerMan
What does strafting in this mod entail? I thought you could straft in unmodded w2.
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="XanaduTheBand"]I just bought the Witcher 2 and have never played either one. Should I run the mod from the get go or just play it vanilla?robokill

Maybe the Dark Soul's combat would be fun and awesome if you did not die in two hits. I know people love the difficulty in that game but I don't really understand. I dislike having to play the same sections over and over again until I master them. I thought video games were past that. That game's combat basically just boiled down to blocking, dodging, and stabbing anyway.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

BrunoBRS

I never understood the hate on the combat, I loved it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="XanaduTheBand"]I just bought the Witcher 2 and have never played either one. Should I run the mod from the get go or just play it vanilla?topgunmv

god i wish the combat was like souls.

It does allow both but now he auto blocks if you stand still and sometimes instead of rolling he does a pirouette

seanmcloughlin
and it works awfully. i can't autoblock properly if the rule to autoblock is "face the enemy", but the game's lock on doesn't, you know, lock-on.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Elann2008

THat's pretty disappointing. I was hoping for a 3rd replay of TW2 tonight... I hope this isn't some odd foreshadowing of what's to come in The Witcher 3.  :shock:

FUdge... their website is an infuriariting experience.  It's laggy as hell.  I wasn't able to get it to load this morning, and no luck tonight.  Maybe it's a sign.. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 BrunoBRS

THat's pretty disappointing. I was hoping for a 3rd replay of TW2 tonight... I hope this isn't some odd foreshadowing of what's to come in The Witcher 3.  :shock:

FUdge... their website is an infuriariting experience.  It's laggy as hell.  I wasn't able to get it to load this morning, and no luck tonight.  Maybe it's a sign.. 

Elann2008
there's a second link to it (not the mediafire one) somewhere in this thread, but really... it's just as bad as it was before. i really hope TW3 isn't like this. matter of fact, i hope TW3 is designed with a controller in mind, that alone would help with a lot of serious issues TW2 has with animations and movement.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Would love to hear some opinions on before and after, having never played the game, but hopefully playing it soon if I can make it through TW1.

NaveedLife

Same. I'm thinking about starting the first one soon. Actually I'd like to know if there are any mods that are recommended for that as well.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

BrunoBRS
there's a second link to it (not the mediafire one) somewhere in this thread, but really... it's just as bad as it was before. i really hope TW3 isn't like this. matter of fact, i hope TW3 is designed with a controller in mind, that alone would help with a lot of serious issues TW2 has with animations and movement.

You know.. the first time I played TW2, I thought the combat wasn't too bad. The second time I played TW2, I realized how dull the combat was. I wonder what they are going to do or change in TW3 that will make combat more fun and satisfying. I don't know why they don't take advantage of Geralt's combat skills and turn that into an amazing combat system. Parrying, riposte, block done properly, more clanking of the swords, more dancing maneuvers and dodges. He's the friggin Witcher.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Would love to hear some opinions on before and after, having never played the game, but hopefully playing it soon if I can make it through TW1.

whiskeystrike

Same. I'm thinking about starting the first one soon. Actually I'd like to know if there are any mods that are recommended for that as well.

i only used a texture mod to make the game look sharper, and a scabbard mod, because those swords floating on geralt's back were driving me insane (though the mod itself was kinda glitchy, in that sometimes the scabbards would clip through the sword, and sometimes they wouldn't be there at all).
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Elann2008

You know.. the first time I played TW2, I thought the combat wasn't too bad. The second time I played TW2, I realized how dull the combat was. I wonder what they are going to do or change in TW3 that will make combat more fun and satisfying. I don't know why they don't take advantage of Geralt's combat skills and turn that into an amazing combat system. Parrying, riposte, block done properly, more clanking of the swords, more dancing maneuvers and dodges. He's the friggin Witcher.

*points at dark souls* weak attacks, strong attacks, blocks, parries, riposites, critical attacks, dodges, backsteps, AND A LOCK ON THAT LETS ME STRAFE AND SWITCH TARGETS. i can't stress the last one enough. f*cking ocarina of time did it in 1998, it can't be that hard to do it nowadays. CDPR needs to take advantage of the fact that TW3 is multiplat from the start, and make the controller the main way of playing TW3 on PC. some genres just work better with a controller, and this is one of them.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I've just tested it, the gameplay makes even less sense than it did before. It's not a good mod. 

Here is me hoping that Witcher 3 combines the good aspects of Dark Souls and Chivalry.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 BrunoBRS

I've just tested it, the gameplay makes even less sense than it did before. It's not a good mod. 

Here is me hoping that Witcher 3 combines the good aspects of Dark Souls and Chivalry.

Masculus
chivalry gameplay just wouldn't work on a setup like the witcher.

They should of just stuck to the turn based/RPg based combat. The west and EU are not good at melee/action combat systems, leave that to the Japanese.

ShimmerMan
the west sucks even more at turn based combat. THAT'S japan's specialty.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

the west sucks even more at turn based combat. THAT'S japan's specialty.BrunoBRS

The Temple of Elemental Evil begs to differ.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the west sucks even more at turn based combat. THAT'S japan's specialty.-wildflower-

i have that game. though i wouldn't dare say i can fairly judge it, considering i played it when i was like, 10 years old, and i was expecting a diablo clone from it. regardless, turn based combat would've been an awful translation of geralt's combat skills due to the nature of turn based combat. real time combat is what the series needs, the only problem is CDPR is really bad at it.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] CDPR needs to take advantage of the fact that TW3 is multiplat from the start, and make the controller the main way of playing TW3 on PC. some genres just work better with a controller, and this is one of them.

No thank you. I prefer M/KB for RPGs.
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 robokill

[QUOTE="robokill"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

pawq4

Maybe the Dark Soul's combat would be fun and awesome if you did not die in two hits. I know people love the difficulty in that game but I don't really understand. I dislike having to play the same sections over and over again until I master them. I thought video games were past that. That game's combat basically just boiled down to blocking, dodging, and stabbing anyway.

then don't play it that way, I made a guy with extremely high endurance and vitality with a lightning claymore that does tons of damage. Add on some upgraded armor and I waltz through the bad guys, I can be swinging away and take the worst shot any boss can give me and walk away just fine every time. It takes minimum 8 shots to kill me, plus I don't need to block, dodge or stab, just saying those are limitations you put on the game that aren't really there, if you don't want to have to play a backstabby character that dies easily don't.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I haven't played much witcher 2, but from the 7hours i got, combat mechanics and general gameplay are clumsy but bearable, i guess i'd rather not bother with this mod.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Time to reinstall TW2,download enhanced edition patch,this mod and take iorveth's path.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] CDPR needs to take advantage of the fact that TW3 is multiplat from the start, and make the controller the main way of playing TW3 on PC. some genres just work better with a controller, and this is one of them.

except TW2 doesn't play like an RPG. it plays like an action game. and it plays poorly BECAUSE it sticks to mouse and keyboard for it. it's like playing dark souls with M/KB. no one in their right mind would do it, and "there are stats and leveling up" is not a reason to do so.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the west sucks even more at turn based combat. THAT'S japan's specialty.-wildflower-

The west used to have good TB games/rpgs back in the 80s/90s mainly (a few in the early 2000s like ToEE), before the decline. 

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#93 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] CDPR needs to take advantage of the fact that TW3 is multiplat from the start, and make the controller the main way of playing TW3 on PC. some genres just work better with a controller, and this is one of them.

except TW2 doesn't play like an RPG. it plays like an action game. and it plays poorly BECAUSE it sticks to mouse and keyboard for it. it's like playing dark souls with M/KB. no one in their right mind would do it, and "there are stats and leveling up" is not a reason to do so.

I get what you mean, but I absolutely hate moving the camera in third-person games with a controller. It's just impossible for me.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] CDPR needs to take advantage of the fact that TW3 is multiplat from the start, and make the controller the main way of playing TW3 on PC. some genres just work better with a controller, and this is one of them.

It's not like playing dark souls at all, because dark souls wasn't made for mouse and keyboards. TW2 controls well on mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure why you think a controller would be better for TW2...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"] No thank you. I prefer M/KB for RPGs.

It's not like playing dark souls at all, because dark souls wasn't made for mouse and keyboards. TW2 controls well on mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure why you think a controller would be better for TW2...

TW2 doesn't control well, on a keyboard or on a controller. i'm saying how it should be, not how it currently is.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] except TW2 doesn't play like an RPG. it plays like an action game. and it plays poorly BECAUSE it sticks to mouse and keyboard for it. it's like playing dark souls with M/KB. no one in their right mind would do it, and "there are stats and leveling up" is not a reason to do so.BrunoBRS

TW2 doesn't control well, on a keyboard or on a controller. i'm saying how it should be, not how it currently is.

I never had a problem with the controls. The combat wasn't great, but I though it controlled well.

On an unrelated note, TW2 is $6 on GOG today.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

TW2 doesn't control well, on a keyboard or on a controller.BrunoBRS

It controls perfectly fine. You're making it sound like you have to fight the keyboard to get it to do what you want.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Does this mod work with the Arena mode? I dont plan on playing the story twice but I wouldnt mind going in for some combat. I know a lot of people complained about it but I actually liked Vanilla combat. It was fun and satisfying. Yes the blocking and some of the other stuff were clunky and sometimes dumb but overall I liked it.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] TW2 doesn't control well, on a keyboard or on a controller.ChubbyGuy40

It controls perfectly fine. You're making it sound like you have to fight the keyboard to get it to do what you want.

i want to walk away from an enemy while facing it. that's something the game doesn't let me do. i want control over my blocks, so that when i take a hit, i can blame myself for that, not the game and its odd autoblock system. i want the basic things that any decent action game has, and TW2 doesn't deliver.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 BrunoBRS
Does this mod work with the Arena mode? I dont plan on playing the story twice but I wouldnt mind going in for some combat. I know a lot of people complained about it but I actually liked Vanilla combat. It was fun and satisfying. Yes the blocking and some of the other stuff were clunky and sometimes dumb but overall I liked it. Gamesterpheonix
it does.